What would happen if...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Falcon Flyer, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 1, 2012

...all teachers left school everyday when their contract time was over? My contract day ends at 3:45, but I am rarely headed home before five and often go up to school on weekends to catch up. My theory is that half of what we're asked to do would not get done because there just isn't time in the contract day do it all. Do school districts realize that schools only survive because their teachers care enough to work long beyond what they're technically required to?

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 1, 2012

Yes, school districts realize this, and shudder when teachers threaten to "work to contract" as a job action.

4. Veghead

Veghead New Member

Dec 2, 2012

A school in my district did this several years ago and were demonized in the news.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 2, 2012

If I worked the 7.25 hours I'm paid for, I wouldn't be able to do lots of things I currently do for my students. For example, I try to do at least 2-3 art projects each month that correlate with LA/Math/SS/Sci/etc. Prepping for the art projects is extremely time consuming, but I truly believe art education is so incredibly important!

In addition, things such as getting homework packets copied, tests graded and entered, and developing common formative assessments is also time consuming, but I've gotta do it.

Oh--and don't let me forget about the added demands of being the grade-level chair. That alone is a whole lot of extra work (and no added monetary compensation).

Anyway, although it sounds like I'm complaining, I do all these things because I want the best for my kids and I want them to have an amazing 2nd grade experience. I really feed off their enthusiasm--it makes me want to be the best possible teacher.

Although I try to work smarter instead of harder (for example, most of my colleauges and I work through our 50-minute lunch) I've yet to come up with a way to leave before 4:00 (our contracted time is 7:15-2:30). :unsure:

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

My state is talking about doing work to the contract. In my position now it would be a huge deal for the students if we do. I have 5 different after school groups, and they also come in before school every day. I wouldn't be able to have any of these groups meet if we do this.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2012

We are currently engaged in job action; we are to arrive no more than 30 minutes before the instructional day starts and, on Monday and Tuesday, leave no more than 30 minutes after the students are dismissed. I'm having a hard time getting things done, but, of course, we are being presented in the media as "lazy".

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 2, 2012

our school district knows because teachers are grumbling and morale is less than optimal.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

Teachers would be blamed for not caring about the students...SIGH

10. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 3, 2012

Wow, imagine that. Workers who do what they're paid for. I think people have no idea what teachers really do. I love my kids, and I do work beyond my contract time, but I can't imagine someone calling me lazy for leaving when I'm allowed to.