What would cause a child to be suspended at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Dec 24, 2011.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Dec 24, 2011

Many violent incidents that occur at my school do not lead to student suspension.

I work in an urban district. My sister teaches in a suburban district, and tells me that suspensions are given for behaviors that at my school would be considered mild.

Examples of incidents at my school that do not lead to suspension or, in some cases, administrative attention:

-a 4th grade student punched a 3rd grader in the eye, giving the 3rd grader a nice shiner
    -a boy punched a girl during lunch, giving her a swollen cheek and a lasting bruise on her face (this occurred on her birthday to boot, a day she had been excited about for weeks)
    -a 3rd grader hit another 3rd grader in the face with a book
    -a 3rd grade boy telling another child that he was going to rape the child's sister
    -a girl who came in from recess and began to relentlessly kick a smaller child, was out of control and had to be physically restrained and removed from the room
    -students of all grade levels (K-8) walking out of their classrooms in anger or defiance

I just read in another thread that students were suspended for swearing at a teacher and smacking another child. These offenses would not receive a response from the administration at my school. Any referrals written up for these incidents would go into the black hole of oblivion.

What is your experience?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2011

Twenty demerits.

That could mean being caught with a cell phone 4 times (5 demerits each.) Or being caught with a cigarette twice (10 demerits.) Or having ONE fight-- that might very well get you expelled, depending on the circumstances.

Many of the things you describe would probably result in expulsion in my school.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 24, 2011

I work in an urban charter school, all of the above incidents would equal a suspension. Fighting is almost always an automatic suspension. Violience is not tolerated.

This year, at least for the little ones, the suspension is being sent home for the remainder of the day, if the parent picks the child up within an hour. I don't think I've had a child, this year, suspended for the next day. Sometimes, the consequence is to sit in the Dean's Office, not a fun consequence.

Our students also receive a suspension after 6 tardies/early dimissals.

I really think it depends on the school's culture. I noticed when I worked with a teacher whose son had behavioral challenges that he would get suspended for things that we wouldn't even send children to the office for. (language was one of them, not turning in homework another). He was at a suburban school.

I have a friend who works at a urban school & they rarely suspend. We live in the same metro area.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 24, 2011

Fights or acts of violence are almost always an automatic Out of School Suspension (OSS). Profanity, acts of defiance, bullying (without physical confrontation), and many other incidents (such as threatening to rape another student's sister) would more likely result in IN-School Suspension (ISS). In ISS, the student must sit in a room in the administrative offices all day and do classwork that is provided for them. ISS and OSS can last 1-3 days, depending on the severity of the action.

6. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011

Same as Cerek! Though if they are a regular offender, there chances are high.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2011

What a shame such young students are being taught their violent and abusive behavior doesn't merit consequences. They may already be seeing unpunished violence at home and in their neighborhoods (and in movies and video games). It makes their chances of rising above this kind of behavior very slim. It's too bad your administration doesn't care about helping the students learn a better way.

Do you have a Dean or a school counselor you could work with to develop tiered consequences for your students? We have school committees that work on discipline and student support policies. Perhaps you could join and be a voice for doing the right thing.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 24, 2011

They suspend for mild incidents at my school. Three boys just received a three day ISS for saying some very rude and mean/nasty things to a girl and being relentless about it (they were calling her a whore at mass, etc...).

Our school is definitely NOT afraid to suspend kids if they feel the situation will not be resolved with anything less.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2011

All of the behaviors that you mention would result in a suspension at my school; however, it may only be an in-school suspension depending on the circumstances or the parents.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 24, 2011

All of the above would result in suspension...unless, it was the same kid, then the first few times suspensions and then in office day. Lunch alone, in office of principal, and we still paddle. I know some of you disagree, but it cuts down on suspensions.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 24, 2011

Suspension is used extremely sparingly in my school. The sad truth is that many parents don't care if the child is suspended (they're not in trouble at home) so the kid gets to stay at home and play video games all day rather than coming to school. How is that a punishment? Last year we had a 2nd grader who made a very serious death threat to another student and then actually brought a knife to school (which is what he said he would use to kill the other student). He was suspended for the safety of the other student. They're talking about having ISS next year somehow- the problem is we don't have any way to staff it (who would watch the kids?).

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 24, 2011

All of these would probably result in suspension at my school. I am in a small, rural district. Last week, a high school student was suspended for refusing to give his cell phone to an administrator. Students are not allowed to have their cell phones at school and if they don't give them to a teacher when they are caught with it, they are automatically given a 2 day vacation.
    Students are also automatically suspended for any fighting. We don't usually have elementary students suspended for doing these things - mainly because it just doesn't happen that often.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2011

At our school, a lot of it would depend on circumstances, grade level, and proof. But in general, any blatantly violent acts can get a student suspended

Suspension unless the children were very young or there was reason to believe it could have been an accident.

That would generally be a suspension, regardless of grade level.

Maybe not suspension, but still would be taken seriously.

At third grade, definite suspension and maybe more. With younger children it might need to be determined if and how exactly the child knew what they were saying.

More of a psych issue here. Any time a kid has to be physically restrained, their emotional health is a concern.

Depending on why they walked out, and where they went when they did, it might not be suspension the first time. Keep in mind that many kids try to get suspended in order to stay home. Were I one of those kids, that would have been my modus operandi.

If any administration ignores referrals from teachers outright, those administrators are criminally negligent and should be removed from their jobs.

There are many times when suspension is not the most appropriate consequence even for severe infractions. Especially home suspensions. Our school has a "do not suspend at home" list of kids who's parents have made suspension a vacation for their children. But in these cases, they generally have some consequence at school that makes them wish they were suspended.

14. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Dec 24, 2011

NOTHING, short of murder!!!!!!!!!!!

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 24, 2011

I'm in an urban district and all of those incidents described would result in a suspension. Dh is in a different urban district and sadly I think many of those incidents would not result in a suspension.

16. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Dec 24, 2011

We're sort of along the same lines. The administration is VERY conscious of keeping the number of disciplinary incidents down for state records, so we pay the price.

Some amazing miscarriages of justice occur in our school. A kid who was upset that a young lady was not receptive to his advances paid another kid to murder her. (Based upon the testimony of the kid that was paid to do this and the girl who received the threats via text message) Now, you would think that would be the last you would see of that kid. But, he was back within a month and I was told to give him all of his make-up work.

While on cafeteria duty, I saw a boy talking to a girl - right next to a vice principal on the other side of the room - suddenly blow his top, slam her down on the table and apply a strangle to her neck to the point you could see the muscles in his arms bulging. A few of us had to pry him off of her. I saw the VP the next day and asked, "He's getting charged with attempted murder, right?" She replied, "Oh no, he'll be back in three days. Was he strangling her? I didn't see it." Yup.

:down:

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 24, 2011

Our principal is a five foot two ball of fire. She doesn't put up with sh**! She is concerned about kids that have emotional problems, but she won't allow students or parents to hurt teachers. She can swing a paddle like a baseball pro. She has been known to explain to a parent that there is another school ten miles down the road, feel free to transfer there. She isn't always the best to deal with, but she does protect the kids.

18. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 24, 2011

Fighting seems to be the main reason at my school for supensions, but I don't see them as an effective punishment. To many, it's just a holiday , and no learning takes place.
    I would prefer ISS too, but because of staff cuts that's not possible.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2011

punching someone--gone for the rest of the day or sits in office working if parent can't get off work.

repeated rude behavior, sassing an adult, has been in In-school suspension for same behavior--gone or sits in office, etc.

(We're a public elementary school--low SES, even applies to kdg students. Parents are called and are almost always supportive of the action--kids are well-behaved at our school. Almost all parents with one or two exceptions expect the best from us and from their kids. We're a top-rated school in our district, and there is a low teacher turnover rate and parents constantly going to the board asking to have their children in our school. We even get many of the district's teacher's kids and the central office staff kids.)

It's all about expecting the best from everyone, and being "shocked" and "disappointed" when it doesn't happen. Kids are quick to pick up on the culture of the school.

20. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2011

Swearing at a teacher or other member of staff. Assaulting another child in the school (or a member of staff). Damage of school property or staff property (eg car). Suspensions usually last between 1 and 5 days.

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2011

This is my 3rd year teaching at my school. Frankly I have only heard of 1 child getting suspended, and that was this year. There could have been others that I am not aware . What caused this child to be suspended? He was totally out of control, having a major melt down. He has some emotional issues that were caused by family violence. He bit the principal. Others have had ISS. This is what my principal prefers. He would rather have them there at school. Others have gotten licks. His licks are pretty effective. One of my students got one last year around Feb. and he was great the rest of the year. All I had to do was ask him if wanted to visit the office again. My principal has taught and been in our district for more than 20 years. He taught many of the kids parents. He knows families and I really think he takes into consideration a lot of things before he hands out a punishment. Our kids respect him and most importantly most of the parents do as well. We really don't have a discipline problem at our school. Thank goodness! At my old school we had a huge problem. No kids got licks, or suspended. ISS was a joke. They got candy and special treatments if they are the iss teacher's favorites, or one of her kid's friends. (yes my son had iss, yes he was treated like a king in ISS) I always told them to treat him worse than the other kids. If he was in there, he was in there for a reason.

22. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 25, 2011

:yeahthat:

I WISH all of the above incidences resulted in suspension of some kind, but that wouldn't happen in a million years in my district!!

23. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2011

Licks?

24. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2011

I recall from my first visit to Chicago public schools in 2005 we were given copies of the CPS code of conduct (I must still have it somewhere in my classroom). In it was a list of offenses and sanctions. If I recall correctly there were 6 levels of offence/sanction. Level 1 was minor stuff like tardyness and level 6 actually had murder as one of its criteria and total exclusion as the punishment.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 26, 2011

I'm so sorry! I actually got in trouble for not referring students fast enough. For the child that hit me, I didn't get the paperwork in until after school and she only got 1 day instead of 3. (My P was only aware of her meltdown and screaming, not her violence.) She was frustrated I didn't ask for help sooner. This is her first year in our school and she is trying to turn the culture around.

I hate out of school suspension though. Like many of you, the kids who get it are the ones who treat it like a vacation. It was really just more work for me to get all her work together for 3 days than to just have her come back. :|

Some other kids (not mine) have recently gotten suspended for stealing an iPad from the school and kicking in a bathroom door stall. Most suspensions seem due to violence though.

Want to know the real kicker though?! MY BUILDING IS K-4! :dizzy:

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 26, 2011

I don't have to get work for kids that are suspended.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2011

Whoopins with a paddle, I'd say.

28. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2011

yes spanks with a paddle

29. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2011

Illegal in the UK (sadly)

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2011

We have no detention, which I hate, so our kids get ISS for the littlest things. It's basically the only form of punishment. OSS is used for fights, computer hacking, and a couple of other things. Of course, fighting also leads to arrest. We have a full time probation officer in our school.

Of course, we are required to let the kids make up the work when they are suspended, just like if they were absent, so I don't really get the point of a suspension.

31. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

My district is frustrating because they are unclear on suspension procedures (at least at the elementary level). There is no policy in writing-it is up to the building principal.

At my school it depends on the student. For example, there are many students who are in special education that lash out daily, and they are brought to the "padded room" (for lack of better words) and to their SPED teacher's room to calm down. I don't know the full details on these students, but I'm pretty sure they are not suspended for their behavior.

Then there are other students, who are not in special education, who physically harm others, and they have been suspended.

32. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

BTW, paddling is so ridiculous IMO. I have a student in my classroom who came from a school down south. Her records show that she was paddled and suspended from school quite often. It was so blatantly clear when she came to us this year that she has a learning disability and/or an emotional/behavioral disorder. Instead of referring her at her previous school, they paddled her and kicked her out of school. Her IEP is next month, and I am very much looking forward to this child finally receiving the help she needs.

And this story probably says more about the school than the process of paddling itself. However, this is the only student I have had who has been paddled as a consequence, and I see how well it worked.

33. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

Depends on the administrator. And the race/gender of the student. One administrator believes every black female that whines about teachers picking on her. So the kid gets to skip class for the day, hang out with another 'sisteh' and the teachers have to stay after school/miss lunch to help the student get caught up.

If it is a black male and the incidents involving black males are getting higher in number, he might get off pretty easy. Don't want it to look like we're picking on black males, of course.

If it is a white suburban kid and/or a student that knows how to kiss a$$, he will get a lunch detention, a piece of candy and a hug.

If it is a student with a rich, vocal parent, absolutely nothing will happen the first or second time. Worse, the teacher that reports it will be questioned heavily, with the implication that he/she must have misunderstood the course of events.

I've had students who intentionally got themselves placed in ISS. They wanted to take a nap, forgot to do their homework, had an argument with a classmate earlier, have a friend that's already in there, what-have-you. There is a serious problem when ISS is a place where students want to be.

34. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2011

My principal uses paddling as a VERY last resort in most cases. Like I said he has been in the district a very long time he knows tons of the families. I really thinks he takes into consideration their home life, their parent's home life and all kinds of things. It does make it kind of random who he gives the paddles too but they seem to work well, in most cases.

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

My last P never suspended anyone for anything, not even the kid who ran away from school in the middle of the day. The new P we have is much more strict and has used ISS more liberally this year to get the point across to the kids that she means business. I know most kids who have earned ISS got it for fighting, disrespect/insubordination to teachers, bullying, etc. I had two of my lovelies suspended in the same week for spreading nasty rumors of sexual nature about another student.

36. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 30, 2011

:eek: I didn't even know there were schools that still paddled kids! :eek: