What would a classroom look like without stuff we buy...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpecialPreskoo, Jun 13, 2014.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

My classroom truthfully wouldn't look a lot different....I have personal photos and plants and two stools I rescued from the curb and repainted. Other than the occasional dollar store purchase, most of what's in my classroom is recycled or district purchased.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 13, 2014

Thanks for sharing it. This is so true. I enjoy decorating my classroom, but I don't enjoy paying for it. We use to get money to use to buy materials at the beginning of the year, but that doesn't happen any more. I am near the top of the pay scale so I don't mind it much. However, when I see the new teachers struggling to pay to set up their classrooms, it upsets me.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2014

My room would look vastly different, as would all the rooms on my campus. If we get any money, and that is a big if, we aren't allowed to buy organizational items like baskets or tubs and absolutely nothing decorative like borders.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

Almost all my resources-workstation materials, books, etc. I have gotten on my own. Some from Donorschoose, but my classroom would be very empty if I took it all home. I've even purchased small carpets/chairs for the classroom library.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2014

So true! I saw this on someone's facebook today and had to share it there. I found out today I might be moving classrooms for next year. The idea of having to move all of my borders, decorations, math manipulatives, paper, hundreds of books, etc. etc. to another classroom is exhausting!

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2014

It would have nothing in it besides the desks and 2 tables the school "gives" me. My school/district does not give teachers any money to spend on decorating their classrooms but my school does provide bulletin board paper (no borders) for teachers to use.

9. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 13, 2014

My friend who just finished her first year is moving classrooms down the hall. She doesn't have as much as myself or another teacher would have, but I still couldn't imagine having to move it all!
    We spend so much time arranging and organizing our classrooms. I'm sure having to pack up and move teaching materials would make anyone go nuts.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

My classroom would contain: 1 bookshelf, chairs, a kidney table, file cabinet, student mailboxes, and some curriculum materials. Almost everything in my room is mine.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2014

Yup. My room would have desks, a file cabinet, a bookshelf, a podium, and textbooks.

I did have to move rooms at the end of this year. My old room looks positively barren (and I was super sore the next day!).

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2014

Next year will be my 7th year in my district and I have switched classroom every single year. I have never taught in the same room two years in a row.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

I don't have many decorations in my room - a couple of posters and a plant.

If I didn't spend money or get donations, my instruction would be different, for sure. Students would get almost nothing but direct instruction. No foldables, no student-made posters, no clarification of points drawn on the whiteboard...

14. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 14, 2014

Really? How do you deal with the junk a previous teacher can leave behind?

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

Next year will be my sixth year teaching, and my fourth classroom (and we're renovating, so odds are I'll have classroom five at some point, also). Long story short... you toss the [excrement] out in the hallway with a "free to good home" sign, and after a day or two, the janitors throw it away.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

I shared that same article on my FB today and stated that we teachers pour our hearts and souls into our classrooms.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 14, 2014

I worked in a year round school last year. We had to pack up our classroom every 8-10 weeks, and unpack it after 3-4 weeks off track. We went back and forth between two adjoining rooms - three of us rotated between the rooms, with someone always off track. I truly hated it, but it's actually made classroom set up a much less daunting process for me. I know that, in a pinch, I can set up an entire classroom in an afternoon. I can also tear it down in an afternoon. You learn lots of little tricks to make the process easier.

My room would look SO DIFFERENT without all the stuff I've purchased! Just the furniture would be there. And the big Lakeshore rug. Well, and the computers. ;) The biggest difference would be the library - hundreds of books and lots of baskets and book boxes..all mine.

In the middle of this year the insurance inspector declared we are no longer allowed to have personal pillows and rugs in our rooms. That was a very sad day for me. My room hasn't been the same since.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

I'm lucky enough that our district takes care of us financially. I have a $500 budget for the year (for paper, pencils, other supplies, and this year it was plenty for it, I still had some money and plenty of supplies left over). I also have a $250 reimbursable open purchase order.
    We also have a 'wish-list' we give to our principal, so last year I ordered a docucam, a set of supplementary products for the textbooks, and those didn't even com out from my budget. This year the only thing I can think of I want is an Apple TV so I can hook up my iPad to my projector, everything I want, I have (except for a Smartboard, but I don't even think I want one yet)
    Basically, everything in the classroom has been paid by or reimbursed by the district, I bought quite a few posters and decorations from my old school, and I made some posters, but those didn't cost me money either.

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

I bought a lot my first year. At the time, I was just so thrilled that I actually got a job right after graduation that I enjoyed buying things for my classroom! I don't even want to think about how much I spent. I've gotten better every year about spending less. This year the only things I bought were some milk crates to store books in. I've had the same borders and bulletin board letters for the past four years and they still look good. This year when I came into my new school I had tons of curriculum resources. The school also provided basic supplies like post-its, pens, pencils, paper, white board markers, etc. I also got a budget from the sped department. My goal for next year is to spend none of my own money. We'll see how it goes!

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

I attended a year-round elementary school (they no longer exist here, though). I still don't know how my teachers would pack up and set up a classroom 4x/year!

Funny thing is that when I enter classrooms at my site, I get flashbacks of myself as a student (I'm VP at the school I attended in K-5).

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2014

If I know the teacher, I ask them if they want it or not. If they don't, I toss it out.

Otherwise, I just toss it all out unless I think a specific person can use something.

22. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 15, 2014

The previous teacher in my friend's room finally moved out, but she left CRAP randomly everywhere! It looked like a bomb of books, crates, and trash went off.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 15, 2014

I don't know how I did it, either! :lol:

That's pretty cool. I always kind of thought I'd like to go teach at the rural elementary school I attended. I'm moving back up to that area now...sort of...still about 40 minutes away. But not to that school. ;)

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

My room wouldn't look drastically different. I have purchased a lot of my own materials but with my new principal there seems to be more money available for us to spend on instructional items.