What works in 2nd grade?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by TishaTeacher, May 22, 2009.

1. TishaTeacher

TishaTeacher Rookie

May 22, 2009

Hi! I am a 2nd year teacher. Been teaching kindergarten both years. I just found out today that I'm being moved to 2nd grade next year!

Don't really know much about 2nd grade or what the other 2nd teachers do for behavior management, but I'm wondering what works well for this age group?

3. Irma

Irma Companion

May 25, 2009

Congrats on the move! 2nd grade is a wonderful grade to teach! My classroom management system is based on the green,yellow, red system but paired with classroom economy. Students have 5 green sticks and if they can maintain 5 sticks, they get $10 class cash. Class cash is used for many things like lunch bunch, free homework pass, etc.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

May 25, 2009

I use the color system as well including some Power Teaching strategies for whole group incentives. I use the Smilies and Saddies chart from Power Teaching and using them both for individual & class wide incentives makes for a successful system.

5. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

May 29, 2009

What is the Power Teaching?? A book?

AND...

I have taught 2nd grade for 3 years - LOVE IT! But I'm sad (and excited) to be moving to 3rd grade this year. I use the color system. I have 4 colors blue, green, yellow, red. They recieve a sticker each day only if they're on blue and for other things throughout the day (helping a friend, picking up trash without being asked, etc.). They have a sticker incentive chart that is on my desk. When they fill their chart, they get to visit the treasure chest. You could also build in other rewards. At the beginning of the year, I tell them how special the treasure chest is. (They love to see me put new "junk" in!) and make a big deal out of getting to go. I give stickers constantly the 1st week of school, then decrease as they know our procedures. This has worked well for me.

6. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jun 4, 2009

i use a ticket system individually and a marble jar as whole group incentive...our school does a ticket drawing every friday with a draw from each class into the prize bucket...anyway, they get two tickets every day and if there is a discipline issue they have one ticket taken from them, with a note home to be signed that says _____ lost 5 points from their conduct grade today for the following reason(s). for the whole group incentive- the marble jar, anytime the whole class does something correct-lines up quietly, pushes all the chairs in, everyone does homework, scores a 100 on a paper, etc then they get to put a marble in the jar, sometimes 5, 10 just depends on how important the task was...when the jar is full they get some type of "party", ice cream, movie, waffles,

for individual positive reinforcement I let them pick what they wanted- add a marble to the jar, get an extra ticket, or pick from my goodie bag- random candy, pencils, toys, etc that I picked up from different places- I didn't really have a system for the positive individually so...

i think next year I am going to add a positive individual incentive as well...dollar tree has sticker charts each sheet has 25 squares and they come 25 sheets to a pack...when they fill a sheet, then they can add a marble, get an extra ticket or pick from my goodie bag

7. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 4, 2009

With? -Or without us?

I don't like time-consuming behaviour management reinforcement plans. I like to keep it simple where I don't have to pay attention to it all the time or give them constant feedback (unless a specific kid needs it).
    (But.. NOTE: I haven't had any extreme misbehaviored kids in my classrooms (Taught for 5 1/2 years)

I just tell students that misbehave that they can choose to be with the rest of the group or without the group. But if they choose to be with, they must choose to follow the class rules.

90% of the time they choose to follow the class, if not, They sit down at their desk, head laying on arms and facing the table and stay there untill they are ready.

We talk about how all people make bad choices sometimes but that it doesn't make a person bad. And that good friends help eachother make good choices. I ask them in between teaching the rest whether they would like to join us and that we would love to have them come sit with us again. (If they choose no for a longer period of time, I take the kid aside and try to find out what the problem is)

Only occasionaly used a specific management system besides that. And then it was getting minutes of extra playtime or play in the classroom, based on whether or not they behaved better than can be expected normally. (For those occasions where you just shake your head and just don't know what happened because they're all just super good! :wub: )

8. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

Our whole school gives what we call "Loops" for good behavior. They can be bought at craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I think they are really used to make potholders! They are cheap and you can put them on your wrist like a bracelet. We give them out to anyone doing the right thing. The kids wear them like a bracelet too, so there is no paper ticket for them to keep track of if they get a loop on the playground or in the hallway from another teacher. They can trade their loop in for a small piece of paper they use to write their name on and the character trait they were showing for earning the loop. I draw names for prizes often. Tip: When out in the hallway for restrooms breaks or waiting in line, choose a student to watch the class and hand them 3 loops. They choose 1 girl, 1 boy, and keep a loop for themselves. This works awesome. They behave better for each other than me sometimes!
    Good luck! You'll love 2nd grade!