What word list do you use?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by timetoteach, Aug 24, 2007.

1. timetoteach

timetoteach Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

There are so many word lists and I don't know which one I am supposed to be using with my students. Is it the Dolce list? Which words are First Graders required to know by the end of 1st? Thanks for your help!

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

We use a list from our Reading Series, but if you don't have a Reading Series I think the Dolch list would be a good place to start. You can also add words that you notice come up in books the students are reading or words they have difficulty with.

4. timetoteach

timetoteach Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks SaraFirst. I will see if our reading series has one. We just got a new series. Thanks :)

5. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

I use the vocabulary, sight words, and spelling from the reading series. These the words they see everyday in the text, so that reinforces the learning. Now for those kids who are having trouble with the vocabulary, sight words, and spelling from the reading series, I go back to the Dolch list. I start on the Kindergarten list and work my way up a few words at a time.

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 25, 2007

I use the 100 most used words, I think that is Frye's list, then when they master those I use the 2nd 100 most used, then the 3rd. There are more if you go up grades. I used to test them, get 20 missed words and put them on little rings using 3 x 5 cards cut into thirds. So it was cheap and easy for them to practice after reading their guided reading books. They had to pass it off 3 times to be able to take the word home as "learned". It got very labor intensive, but they loved it and learned many sight words that way. :rolleyes:

7. luv2teach1

luv2teach1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

We use the 100 word list from Word Matters. I think that's the book it's in.:confused:

8. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

I use sight words from our reading series but I also add words from the Frye list.

9. JerseyTeach

JerseyTeach Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

110 word list by Patricia Cunningham, part of 4 blocks literacy method.

10. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Oct 4, 2007

We give our students the Developmental Spelling Analysis (DSA) and depending on the stage that the majority of our students fall in, we pick words from lists out of the book, Word Journeys.