What will your students remember about you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sk8enscars311, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Apr 14, 2009

I know as I get older I tend to only remember one or two things right off hand about my teachers. 1st grade teacher had a funny accent and said my name wrong... 2nd grade teacher had a strange body shape (2nd grade thinking here...)... 3rd grade teacher must've hated me for putting me by my worst enemy... and so on.

So, just for fun... What will your students remember about you? I can imagine my students remembering me as the white lady with the hickeys. (I break out in hives when I'm irritated and my 8th graders didn't believe me when I said they weren't hickeys!!)

Perhaps I'm being too self-absorbed. haha. But it's fun to think about yourself from your students' perspectives.

Anyone else?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 14, 2009

They'll remember I really loved them, wanted the best for them, and I would stick up for them forever.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2009

My students will probably remember all the poems we read and songs/raps will sing for EVERY concept! When my students are singing The Money Rap song or a poem for our Poem of the Week activities, my students from last year who are across the hall now peek over into our room and I can see them bobbing their heads to the songs. :lol: It's really funny to see!

I think they will also remember all the laughs we have throughout the day. My students always say that I'm a silly teacher and they always try to make me laugh. (I do have a big sense of humor, always have since I was a kid;).) I think if anything, they'll remember that I never was afraid to laugh with them.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 14, 2009

I think my kids will remember my sense of humor. We have a lot of fun with everything. Also, my students always love when we study Greece and Rome, because we cook, and do the Olympics, and I dress up a lot. They always talk about that.

Most of all, I think they will remember me as goofy, but one who makes them tow the line.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 14, 2009

Honestly, I think I'll be lucky if they can remember my name! I don't really remember anything about my kindergarten teacher.

7. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Apr 14, 2009

They will remember me as the one who let them have fun with technology! Most of the other teachers at school don't. They also figure out very quickly that I am the one that loves Mickey Mouse. I suppose it has something to do with all of the Mickey's in my classroom. :)

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 14, 2009

Oh, and my students always will remember that I have a love affair with corn dogs!

My first year, one of my students gave me a package of frozen corn dogs for Christmas. They're my favorite!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2009

They'll remember:
    - my (loud) laugh
    - never seeing me without a cup of coffee first thing in the morning
    - making pancakes and decorating gingerbread houses
    - the rolling chair in my room that I let them sit on as a reward
    - that they could always trust me to be honest with them

10. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 14, 2009

I think they will! I'm surprised you don't remember your K teacher!! Mine was Mrs. Miller, she used to play with my ponytail when I talked to her and she taught me how to shake hands properly. I was so nervous to get my diploma from her, I was worried I would shake with the wrong hand! I still have a bookmark she made for me.

Like others have said, I also hope my students will remember that I have a good sense of humor, and that I wasn't afraid to get goofy with them. And I think they will remember that I would randomly sing instructions for them: "End of the day pro-(CLAP)-cedure!"

11. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 14, 2009

This reminded me, I'm this way with Diet Dr. Pepper too, and they always have to comment about it! :p

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 14, 2009

See, I remember a lot of things about kindergarten, but not specifically about my teacher.

I remember her yelling at me when I was touching the cubbies while she was reading Charlotte's Web. I also remember the naughty boy calling her a poopy head one day. Other than that, I just remember playing and coloring.

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2009

Yeah, I remember my Kindergarten teacher and actually, she is one of the teachers who stand out alot in my mind. I remember getting our rugs for nap time from our cubbies and she always let me lay where I wanted to lay. I remember feeling special to eat lunch at her table because she let us talk to her about anything we wanted while we ate. I also remember that she was always pregnant! Like from September to June, she was pregnant. I know, I know that's not possible but I think even when I was in 1st grade, she was pregnant again! She had many of her children back to back I think.
    I vividly remember when it was picture day and my mom dressed me with this big white ball gown looking dress and a solid gold head band with big gold earrings. I walked into the classroom and she made a big deal about my outfit. She kept saying how beautiful I looked. She was a really sweet lady....
    she actually lives in my neighborhood today and I see her and her husband going for walks all the time. I don't bother her though because I doubt if she remembers me. I wonder.......

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 14, 2009

I think they will remember me as a goofball ... the silliest adult they've ever met.

15. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Apr 14, 2009

They'll remember that I love corn, love football (especially the Carolina Panthers), love frogs and absolutely love fridays.

16. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Apr 14, 2009

you never know. My kindergarten teacher remembers me and my family. She even remembers details about my brother.. like he loved 18 wheelers and always went on about them. She remembers what job my dad had at the time, my sister whom wasn't in her class, all kinds of things. It's crazy that she remembers all that but she does. She was an excellent teacher and still is today. During college, I got to go observe and help out in her room and I even saw her at a workshop I recently went to. She still is my favorite and best teacher I've ever had!

17. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 14, 2009

Mine will remember what made the greatest impression upon them and I have no idea what that is.

You are asking a question that only my students can answer.

18. MissR

MissR Comrade

Apr 14, 2009

From what I've heard from parents, a lot of them will remember me as the teacher that played the guitar. I'm cool with that. :)

19. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Apr 15, 2009

I suppose this was meant to be a post where you can poke fun at yourself. I'd like to think my students will remember me as fun, honest and fair... But I know other goofy things stand a chance of sticking out far more. I remember my 9th grade history class not by all the wisdom he imparted (sarcasm) but by one comment he made the first day of school. "I like girls who shave their legs and wear skirts and ankle bracelets." Total perv. I will always remember my high school yearbook teacher as the one who wore the best smelling perfume. It's such a nostalgic feeling. It made her classroom feel like home.

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2009

I think my MS kids will remember me for my sense of humor, willingness to read stories in different voices and accents, ability to listen to them... and as the teacher who was always getting called out of the classroom to fix computers :(

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

I actually did this as a part of my memory book page about their teacher. It was fun to see the responses. I got a lot of she's funny, they way I tried to "scare" the hiccups out of kids. (We would be doing a lesson when a child had the hiccups & in the middle of my talking I would say Hey a lot louder to scare the hiccups.) I think they'll just remember having fun while learning!!

22. melnm

melnm Companion

Apr 15, 2009

Oh, that gives me a good idea for my son's preschool teacher! I think I might try to get together with the other parents and have them all ask their children what they like about their teacher, draw a pic of her and get them all bound together somehow. I think it would be a really cute end of the year gift. :)

As for what I hope my students remember about me . . . I hope they remember me as someone who genuinely cared about them and would be silly with them and have fun. I was just thinking about my very first class I had this morning when I woke up. They were the sweetest group of kids!

I remember things about all of my elementary teachers, but only certain teachers from the secondary schools I attended stand out--either because they were really good or really bad.

23. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 15, 2009

I think my students will remember me as their young, flaky, art teacher who wore the multicolored apron.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

Glad to have sparked an idea. In my memory book I had a pic of me at the top & had the students write my name, something they learned, it was funny when my teacher, the nicest thing my teacher did, & what I will remember most about my teacher. I really should have photocopied them to have for myself. Oh well..

25. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2009

That my classes are fun, entertaining..... and that they learned something about the real world..

They will remember that as a "guest" teacher, my methods are somewhat unorthodox. They will remember that I care greatly for them --- because I do... (I get tons of you are the greatest "love" notes..:p)

26. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2009

Ummm...I think my tough kids will remember me as a disciplined teacher. Whenever I talk to a parent that has a tough kid they always say that their kid talks about me all of the time and that I say on them to make sure they behave. My low kids might remember me as the teacher who always gave up lunch to help them learn. I know that at least one class will remember me for cracking jokes.

27. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2009

I hope they'll remember that I love them, and that they are the best and brightest! They'll probably also remember I love Tennessee orange, sweet tea, and my puppy, Casey!

28. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 15, 2009

Long hair and eyes that change colors. Any more than that is a gift of unimaginable proportions.

29. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

I'd love for them to remember how much I care about them but they will probably remember my silly socks the most ( I wear socks with crazy designs practically everyday) and my silliness. Oh and the class store!

30. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Apr 16, 2009

That I was sober. (Most days.....LOL)

31. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2009

I hope more than I remember about my first grade teacher. I thought for years my first grade teacher was a man. I found my first grade class photo last year and she is definitely not a man. All I can think is I am getting one of the three different teachers I had in second grade mixed up with my first grade teacher. This man taught me that Js only go one direction and how to tell time.

32. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 16, 2009

That blind teacher that never let them get away with anything... (I kid, I kid.) My students will probably remember how passionate I am about music and psychology. I hope they will remember my sense of humor but I can't ask for too much now, can I!

33. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2009

I hope ;)they won't remember about how I bug them to look for their names, to use at the centers, when I find them wondering around @ certain centers, without:(their names. I hope they will remember about how I make learning fun and relaxed & how I make them laugh all the time. A lot of them should remember the guitar and the songs I taught them, to help with learning the basics; colors, shapes, numbers, & the alphabet. To sum it all up, I just hope they remember me as the FUNNY, COOL & FUN teacher who helped them develop a LOVE for EDUCATION from the GET-GO! :D
    Rebel1

34. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 17, 2009

I think after the past couple of days, my kids will always remember our Pajama Terra Novas...

35. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 17, 2009

My kindergarten teacher's name was Mrs. Styrskey. I even remember her first name, but won't post it for obvious reasons.

36. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 17, 2009

Not sure, but probably that they took 'alot of notes' as they put it and that I like Ohio State..as for the rest-I don't even want to imagine. LOL

37. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 17, 2009

I have no idea. I hope that they remember they had fun and learned a lot with their quirky teacher. I also say certain phrases a lot that they will probably remember. They will probably remember my room and the interactive bullitin boards.

38. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 17, 2009

I hope my students remember me for all of the things that I do that are the opposite to the worst teacher I ever had. The worst teacher I had was sarcastic, made fun of students if they asked questions that he considered to be stupid and he was unapproachable. I hope my students remember me for treating them all fairly, encouraging them to ask questions no matter how silly they thought they were and I hope my students consider me to be very approachable.

39. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 17, 2009

I hope they recognize that even though I am a tough teacher and assign a lot of meaningful assignments, which take time, that I am doing it for their benefit so they can learn. On a personal level, it would be great if they could realize how much I try to make things interesting and I try to make class as relaxed as possible, without loosing decorum. Most importantly I hope they remember my love for history and that this love carries on to them.

40. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 17, 2009

I'm not teaching yet, but I'll tell ya now that my students will remember me as "The Origami Lady"!! The students where I am now already know that when I walk into a room to sub, they'll get to see some pretty neat origami!

41. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2009

Mine will remember my crazy sense of humor, handing out cupcakes at our "Reading Club Meetings" (which are really just parties), our limbo contests we hold when they are coming in the door (we dance a lot), hugs, and trivia that I encourage them to learn every day (not all knowledge has to be applied knowledge!).

On a side note, while I was doing bus duty today a student from a different grade level asked me if I ever got mad at my students. I turned to one of my least well-behaved students and repeated the question to him so he could answer the question. His response floored me.

"No," he said, "she may yell at us, but she never gets mad at us. She loves us."

That is one student I will never forget!