What will you do differently this year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missrebecca, Jul 17, 2014.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Jul 17, 2014

Now that it's almost time for school to start, I'm curious what new things everyone might be doing for the upcoming school year! :D It can be something you're trying for the first time, or something you stopped doing and want to try again. Will you alter your behavior management system? Your seating arrangement? Your library set up? Are you trying new teaching methods or strategies? Differentiation? Assessment? Transitions? New furniture? New wall decorations?

This year, I want to implement the book "How Full is Your Bucket," to help build a stronger classroom community. I also want to implement Daily 3 math. :)

3. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 17, 2014

I am a second year teacher and I am so excited about going into this year with some sort of a plan!

My room looks so much better, I am doing a theme...."60s/Peace. Love, and Learning " and I have tie dye everywhere!

I work at a very low SES school, and I am going to be tougher... I learned my first year how badly they crave boundaries and strong support. Last year, I was always cutting kids breaks, and they were really miserable and confused. I will say what I mean, and mean what I say...

I have been reading and researching Whole Brain Teaching.

I am going to give my students more work and not entertain them as much.

I know how to plan better for my kids and I understand the school culture better, so this will be a great year!

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2014

I want to keep my desk clean so I can actually work at it.

I am doing a new behavior system. I did away with clip charts/ pulling cards a few years ago (I'm actually the only one in my building without a clip chart). I used to have a log book students would fill out, but I wasn't consistent enough with it. They would still have consequences, there just wasn't a record of it. This year, I am doing away with the log and giving each student their own sheet to track their behavior. It includes positive and negative rewards, but is not public in any way! :)

I am also going to try to encourage more nonfiction reading by posting an interesting fact of the day. If students read a fact they find interesting, they can turn it in to me, and I will post it.

I am also changing my room decorations. I had a safari theme for six years. Now it will just be bright colors!

5. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 17, 2014

I too am excited to get back in there and try new things based off my first year!

-no more AR Star, which will not be well received by others
    -interactive notebooks
    -getting rid of my desk (coincidentally was mentioned in another post! I sat at mine once!)

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

I attended a training last year where the speaker said that in great teachers' classrooms every child feels like they are your favorite. That's my number 1 goal for this year. No public behavior system at all, simply trying to address issues that come up more subtly.

I'm going to do interactive notebooks too, and a class blog for parents. I'm also going to try to start a book club for teachers, we'll see how that goes. :whistle:

7. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

I am re-doing my classroom. I felt like I was in a funk this year and over the summer I decided I needed a change. I have been mapping out where I want furniture, decor, etc. to go (even tho it will be a couple of weeks before I can get into my classroom).

I also want to implement the Daily 3 (will actually be 4) in math this year. And implement working on words more effectively during Daily 5.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

I want to be more consistent when handling classroom management issues.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2014

My school year isn't about to start, but some new ideas:

Tightening up my record keeping book for reading workshop

Diving into new common core math series

Mentoring student teacher

Designing and teaching a writing pd course for teachers

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2014

I have a new district and grade level, so a lot will be different!

This will be my shortest commute ever, so I plan on really staying on top of things.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2014

I finally have a SMARTboard so I'm looking forward to all I'm going to be able to do with that. I really want to use it to change my approach to teaching math with my small group (usually my lowest special ed students) I want to take a real visual approach and we use an online program that will help me with this.

12. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2014

Better use of my SMARTboard.

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

My plan -
    1) change my reading centers regularly
    2) keep my classroom more organized and clutter free
    3) turn in my grade report on time
    4) send home weekly progress reports every week instead of every bi-weekly
    5) go back to having a regular treasure box day twice a month.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 18, 2014

This year I'm taking the plunge and implementing Words Their Way. Every year I say I'm going to and then I fall back on my other spelling program. I'm switching grades so it's the perfect time to switch programs.

I also want to do more with 'bucket filling'.

15. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

This will be my second year teaching.

I am going to be more organized. No more misplacing things and having papers all over the place.

I'm at a new school that puts a lot of emphases on decorations so I'm going to try to have a Pinterest worth classroom without it looking too cutesy and girly.

My entire school will be having CHAMPS training so that will be new to me and the school.

I'm not going to bite my tongue and hold my breath just because I'm 23, new to teaching, and not as experienced. I will let veteran teachers know how I feel.

I have sweepers, table wipers, and garbage collect as part of my classroom jobs. I really want to have to clean room.

I am going to start taking vitamin to reduce the number of times I catch the kids germs this year. haha

I'm going to start bring a real lunch and not just a Lunchable and Arizona green tea I pick up at Walgreens on the way to work in the morning.

I'm not going to rush my student through the curriculum just do stay on track with the set dates. If we need to work on something for longer than the district plans, we will.

One last thing, I am going to do a Lunch Bunch, but I'm not sure how often, or what it should be a reward for, or maybe if it should just be a full class thing that happens every so often.

16. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

I should do this one, too! A lot will be new for me this year. I have a new classroom and there are many personnel changes at my school. I am also teaching two new classes. Besides all of that, I am going to increase the hands-on learning in my room.

17. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

So much will be different this year. I've been teaching since 2004, but I always feel like I can do things better and every year it seems things do get better.

*I am doing individual book boxes for students this year. Monday mornings students will pick 7-8 books from the class library they would like to read through the week. This should make AR time go even smoother.
    *I LOVED the way I did literacy centers in the past, but due to scheduling changes, I have to revamp them. I now have a 120min block of reading where 30mins should be devoted to enrichment/intervention. We will be doing leveled book clubs during part of that time.
    *I have always done Project Based Learning, but it will be a bigger focus this year.
    * The biggest change for me will be going 1 to 1 with the ipads. Each student will have their own ipad to keep at their desk. We had 10 last year, but this is still going to be a huge change. Weekly reading and math test will be given on the ipads. They will have electronic interactive notebooks (I am still trying to wrap my brain around) and I am giving them a choice of paper pencil or kidblog for their morning journals.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

Well, we are getting a handful of iPads this year, so a big change for me is the implementation of the iPads in the classroom. On a lighter note, I want to make some changes to my classroom arrangement. I am taking out the TA´s table (I don´t even have a desk because I want the space for my students) to make more room. That will open enough space so I can play around with how I might want to arrange the classroom. I also have to better manage the books that kids are taking home in their book bags. I had some missing at the end of the school year and the librarian almost didn´t sign me out!

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 23, 2014

Me too! I've never used an iPad before - I don't own one or have access to one so it's going to be a huge learning curve for me. Luckily, the kids will probably already know how to use them. They can teach me! :lol:

20. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

I'm going to use a Superhero theme for my classroom. My superhero name is "Knock 'Em Down Brown"- knocking down the barriers to learning! My goal is continue to enjoy teaching and making learning a fun adventure for my students while they reach their highest learning potential! I'm determined to not let the current atmosphere in our district, as well as the state (blame the teacher) impact my students, their parents, as well as my colleagues. My goal is to make this school year a positive and enjoyable year for all involved.

On the lighter side, I'm implementing the Daily Five and Cafe. I'm also gonna try teaching Math first thing :)

21. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

I want to implement some math stations during our math time. I have 1 math already built int our weekly learning stations, but I want to do more. The plan is to start slow with 1-2 a week and build from there. I hope it works!

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

Oh yeah, they´ll be able to teach you for sure! :D Those kids learn electronics so early...It´s amazing.

23. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jul 23, 2014

This is my fifth year.
    1. I am going to do a weebly for our program
    2. I am going to do two parent meetings instead of one
    3. I am going to go back to going to school for an hour on the weekend so I'm not so overwhelmed on Monday
    5. I am going to use more nonfiction with my groups
    6. I am going to hang up a valance and do a little more decorating in one of the rooms that I use

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 24, 2014

Wow, there is almost nothing I WON'T be doing differently. I've moved to a different area of the state, a very different grade level (1st to 5th), and a very different kind of school (workshop model).

My main focus is following a Book Whisperer/Reading in the Wild type model for reading instruction. I'm hoping to create a classroom of readers.

25. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

I plan to use my Whole Brain Teaching tools even more consistently. I also plan on NOT trying to grade worksheets. I will focus on two question exit slips, four question quizzes, and tests, and writing assignments. These are much more focused on what they actually understand and what they actually don't. More project based stuff too.

26. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 8, 2014

This is my first real year of teaching, so I will have much more ownership of what goes on in the classroom (I'll be co-teaching so it still won't be ALL me). I'd like to be more organized and not let paperwork get built up. I'd like to utilize the extra work time I'll have now that my commute is shorter. I'll use that extra before and after school time to get things done so that I'm free to pull kids during breakfast/morning work time.

I'd also like to be more creative in my teaching than I was last year. I didn't have a ton of freedom as an LTS since I was only in the classroom on a temporary basis so I did things the way the regular teacher did them, not necessarily the way I wanted to. I want to break out of that box and really give my students deep and meaningful learning experiences!