What will you change for next year-Elementary version

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss W, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

This thread is going on in the Secondary Education forum, but it would be nice to hear from all the elementary teachers.

So.... What are you going to change next year.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

I am going to join the special education committee and start looking for a new job in September :whistle:.

Other than that, I am going to:
    - plan ahead of time (instead of waiting until Sunday night)
    - be more organized in the classroom
    - make sure that I could see the top of my desk at least once a week :D
    - prep. assignments earlier than the day of...
    - figure out a way and a place to store/organize activities that only specific students would use

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 22, 2008

I don't really know what grade I will have next year (either 2nd/3rd or 4th/5th.)

I am GUESSINg it will be the 2nd/3rd, or maybe even just 2nd! If that happens I will have to change EVERYTHING!

I have been REALLY unhappy with writer's workshop this year... I have 5 out of 6 girls who consistently work hard and publish good books/stories. I have about 5 boys who are working on a "newspaper" that has produced 2 issues, but they have not written anything else this year. They spend most of their time taking polls and arguing. I want to encourage their project, but they have lost a TON of writing time. For every issue, most boys will write 1-2 short articles, so they aren't producing much. My other 2 boys have not published a single book and their stories are silly, silly, silly, and LONG. Every time I approach them about publishing, they don't like the story and start another long, silly story. (Bob shoots himself out of a cannon, Bob gets eaten by aliens, Bob does something else stupid. They pretty much both write the same sorts of things, about this guy Bob who does dumb stuff.)

I don't know how to change that, because I do the modeling and they have the free journaling time. I have been giving them short little assignments and I'm liking those a lot, but we have only done maybe one a month or so. They maybe take a week to do, with good results. I think next year I will assign more writing, rather than do mostly journaling. Their writing could have come further this year.

FYI- this is just "creative" writing. I assign topics in the other genres.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

I'm also happy with my Writer's Workshop, which is what I focussed on beefing up this year.

I will spend the money on reallygoodstuff's Writer's Folders, instead of making my own.

I will beef up my stations next year, and really work on the managment part of those.

Try to stay semi-organized. That's the big thing!

6. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 22, 2008

I am going to change the way I do Writer's Workshop. See, I adopted the writer's binder that I saw from a 4th or 5th grade teacher on the internet for my 2nd grade students. While it did help keep pieces organized, several of my students did teaching them how toor not revise or edit their work. I believe this is due to me not taking enough time to do guided practice with the revising and editing sheets. This is something I will change for next year.

I also want to beef up my centers with more performance tasks and products instead of games.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2008

I wanted to create a writer's binder for each of my students next year. Do you remember where you got the original information from?

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 22, 2008

I am going to work on doing my lesson plans more in advance. I also want to work on my math instruction. That's defenitely my weak area. I want to get away from the workbooks and do more hands on things and incorporate more writing withing math.

9. mokdgteacher

mokdgteacher Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

I started some of my changes this year. I have gotten away from so many worksheets and added ALOT more hands on activities!!!! We do a 1/2 hour literacy activity then an hour of rotating literacy stations I LOVE IT!!!! I also want to do better with lots of things next year!!! There were several things this year that I didn't want to start because I knew I was going to be on maternity leave.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2008

I want to get bins for my units (see through w/ pull out drawers) so I can put away things easier for different lessons. I am so tired of file cabinets, and hope this will keep me organized.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 23, 2008

An hours worth of literacy centers?! Wow!! What do you have in your literacy centers that will keep your students engaged for 1 hr.?

12. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Apr 26, 2008

There are some classroom management things that I started towards the end of this year that I want to start from the beginning next year. I need to re-arrange the classroom next year since I'll be adding a Smart Board finally! I think I'm going to build some bookshelves in one closet and paint some of my cupboards. As a grade level we're going to add in math enrichment activities for each unit for the higher students. I need to increase the focus on content area writing. I've been keeping a reflective journal this year with notes on how to improve areas on each academic unit - so most of my changes will come from that.

13. maroki

maroki Comrade

Apr 26, 2008

I'm working on ways to make my students more independent and maximize their learning/work time in the classroom. I'm also going to focus on a more organized writing process and try to do more art in the classroom.

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2008

I do an hours worth of centers also. My kids rotate though 2 centers. They usually complete some sort of task that goes with our story or skill.

15. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Apr 26, 2008

I would like to work on learning/finding some new ways to teach reading. We will be having a 120 minute block of reading next year and I want to make sure the time is used effectively since it is a big chunk of our day.

Our math is also being bumped up to 95 minutes next year, so I want to incorporate an interactive math notebook with my students and do more hands-on math.

16. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 27, 2008

Writer's Binder

I got the information from a post made on atozforums a while back. I can't remember the lady's name, but I know people raved about her. :) She has a fantastic website!

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 27, 2008

Miss W,
    What Writer's Workshop model did you use? I was really unhappy w/the way mine went this year and I was required to use the Reading First Model. Since my kids are all identified GT it just didn't work. (I tried to tell 'em.) I went to the National Writer's Project several years ago and just loved the way it flowed. Kids wrote daily and then on Friday's I took the entire a.m. for them to publish a piece from that week. (conferenced, revised 2nd drafts) Basically the same as RF but pepped up several notches. They had a great portfolio by the end of the year & I took their favorite piece and did a class anthology. This year, they didn't hardly publish 5 pieces. I feel like I wasted a whole year's worth of writing.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2008

Could it be Beth Newingham's website (she teaches 3rd grade)?
    http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2008

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2008

Next year I will no longer have ELA, just math. Instead of 45 minute periods I will teach three 90 minute periods. With that time I want to incorporate problem solving daily. I also want to do math facts a couple of times a week and have a test on Fridays. I will be going to a workshop on Inquiry Math, so I hope to be able to incorporate that with the current curriculum. A few teachers that are using it do Inquiry Math instead of the curriculum, but I don't want it to be either or.

21. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 27, 2008

22. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 27, 2008

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2008

I am really tempted to do writing binders next year. I am wanting to make my writing more effective also.

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 27, 2008

I use the Fountas & Pinnellbook Guided Reader's & Writer's Grades 3-6. We also use the Step-Up to Writing program as a suppliment.

25. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Apr 27, 2008

I want to work on Writing...and be more organized and color coded. I had no clue this year, so these are a few of the things I want to do differently.

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2008

I have this book but I haven't opened it :blush:.

I have used Step-Up to Writing and liked it but my students with autism were too preoccupied with the green, yellow and red dots and it just got to crazy for me so I stopped :huh:and took out the Lucy Calkins program.

27. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 27, 2008

I want to have a STAR/Wolf binder. I would also like to exchange my desks for tables. We have a home to school folder but I really want an organizational binder. I also hope to make a bookshelf for my classroom library this summer, and do a mystery reader's program. Like a lot of previous posters, I want to change up my writing instruction a lot. A couple second grade teachers use this program and I might get the third grade one off half.com and check it out
    http://shop.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_30969_-1_10001_10002

Hopefully staying at my school and getting one of our seven Smartboards. That would be a big change. :)

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 27, 2008

I drop sections of it depending on what my students can handle. I don't have them use the dots (but I use them as inital instruction). I also don't use different color pens with them. At 2nd grade it's too much.

29. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 27, 2008

Since this was my first year I learned a lot.

Next year I plan on:
    *Implementing and practicing procedures more
    *Expanding my 6 Trait Writing (writing folders, mini lessons, conferencing, etc.)
    *Creating a math word wall, read aloud word wall
    *Creating "early finisher" activities
    *Establishing a manipulative workstation (where students can grab manipulatives to work with while doing math homework)

30. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Lets see, short of getting a much larger classroom... Id like to organize my closet that holds 25 kids!

Haha.

Really, I need to work on organization. I have somewhat of a system going, but Im sick of seeing PILES everywhere because of the fact that my classroom is so small.

Im going to change how things are run in the mornings.

Other than that I just want to really intergrate the technology that I am getting. (I have a smart board, Im getting an airliner and a student response system)

Really, its just PURGING and ORGANIZING!!!

Any good ideas?!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  31. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Apr 28, 2008

For next year we adopted a new reading series so I still don't know how that's going to work. I'm just going to try to survive.

I want to do more art. Or any art.

I want to do my individualized instruction in math. I want to adapt my Saxon math lessons to do small groups and centers at least once a week.

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

Can someone tell me more about the writing binders???? What are they? How do you use them?

33. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

Ok...first of all I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of this:)

I have a few things-

* I want to rethink my room- I don't know if I plan to rearrange it or not but I think I can do more with my space

* Continue working on staying organized (it's a never ending battle!!!)

* Continue working with Writers Workshop...yay Lucy! lol

* Continue implementing Investigations math series

* Enjoy just teaching! It will be the first time in 4 years I haven't been in grad school during the school year!!!!! :)

34. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 28, 2008

How is Investigations going for you? I'll be honest,I want to stay in my district SO BAD, because I LOVE INVESTIGATIONS!

Did you do Solids and Boxes? We are doing box cities now, I LOVE IT!

35. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

We haven't been trained properly, so its ok, but I;m not the biggest fan yet. We are doing the second edition...how about you? Before I left school sick (almost 2 weeks ago) we were in the middle of unit 6. We didn't gte our materials until October, so my class is very far behind. Please tell me why you loveit...and any pointers you have!!

36. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Leighbball,

Thats the same problem we are facing. :( we need the training and the buy in from everyone... its not working!!

Ive used EDM in the past and loved it and was excited about Investigations... but,

37. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

We are implementing it K-1 next year as well as continuing with the other grades its piloted in (so I will continue teaching it). It will be fully implemented across the district for grades 2-3 in 09-10 and grades 4-5 in 10-11...

38. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 28, 2008

We have the first edition. My district has really invested a lot of time into making it successful. We have district lesson plans (more of a pacing guide) and assessments. The program was also piloted in my building about five years ago, so it's a well oiled machine now. Really, I didn't like it when I taught second that much, but I love the third grade books. The most important thing I've learned is just reading over the invesitgations, and looking over the discussions really helps. We also do a lot of math meetings on the carpet and sharing of what they learned about a game/activity. If they have done it every year up until now, they are really very critical math thinkers.

It does take awhile to get the kinks out, but when used in back to back years, it's great!

39. minnie

minnie Habitué

Apr 28, 2008

I know I'm off subject here, but can someone please tell me how I can order Lucy Calkins?

40. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2008

Thanks...that makes me feel better:)

41. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2008

What specifically are you looking for? Here's a site to check out...

http://books.heinemann.com/authors/430.aspx

My district bought units of study for the teachers for writers workshop.

I bought the Art of Teaching Writing on ebay for my own personal use:)