What will do you differently or try next year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Mar 22, 2009.

1. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 25, 2009

Too many to mention. I will narrow it down to my top 5-and will spend the summer working on those changes. We are currently working with a group of 6th grade teachers from our middle school to make the transition easier. I am sure several of my changes will come from that pilot!!
    One thing I won't do next year:
    Spend money I don't have only to have the students not appreciate it-and get rid of my candy jar.:(

2. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

That is exactly why I don't do fancy Christmas presents for the parents anymore. I spent a lot of time(during school with the kids), effort and money and my parents are just as happy with the gift that their child makes them that is free like a poem or a tissue paper baby food jar candle holder.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 25, 2009

You are welcome!!

I think sometimes people do things like 'find a friend who is wearing the same colored shirt as your and share your writing.' I don't like this because I think there is a lot to be said for the teaching that occurs in the suggestion the teacher makes. If you do it enough, they get so used to it they sometimes start using that language. Then when they go back to their desks you can call on a couple students to share what they noticed that day with the new buddies writing-in my example you would specifically talk about the voice. In the case of the same colored shirt its hard to tie the color of the shirt into the lesson:)

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 25, 2009

Here you go Leigh!

I am sure I messed something up:( My academic buddies or whatever you want to call them, are based more on the child’s ability. I’m quite sure people will disagree with me on this but hopefully they will start a new thread so this one stays pure. I am really liking the ideas here.

Here is how I do my “Banana Buddies” (that is just my name, it means nothing)

I rank my kids from highest to lowest. 1 being high, 20 being low for example.
    (I took over all performance into consideration in all subjects- it’s tricky)

Then I listed them like this:

1-Susie---Highest in class
    2-Tommy
    3-Braeden
    4-Jake
    5-Billy
    6-Paul
    7-Mary
    8-Britney
    9-George
    10-Laura
    11-Barack
    12-Michelle
    13-Cindy
    14-Bobby
    15-Jan
    16-Peter
    17-Marsha
    18-Greg
    19-Paris
    20-Jessica----lowest​

Then I group them. In the top ten, the highest goes with the lowest in that group.

1 & 10, 2 & 9, 3 & 8 etc….I don’t tell them the numbers.

I do the lower group the same way
    11 & 20, 12 & 19 etc … ​

The higher child in each pair helps the lower one but the lower one also can contribute and feels good about himself. The pairs are not as lopsided as if I put Jessica with Susie (1 with 20). If I did that, Jessica would probably realize what I did and would shut down or just do what ever Susie did and not benefit from the pair. Susie would get bored and frustrated.

I did run into trouble though because of the behavior issues I have with several of my students. I couldn’t do the bottom half exactly like I wanted to.

I hope this makes sense. I use this for math and for reading. Yes, I realize that someone might be high at one and lower at another. Next year, I will have two different rankings and, therefore, two different buddies like banana buddies and jungle buddies.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

Awesome lemon...thanks! :)

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

This is a great thread idea! I am just starting to think of what I want to change for next year, so I don't have very many ideas yet. I know that I want to work on changing up my reading block to make it a little bit more interesting and less repetitive for my students and I would like to find additional ways to teach math so that my students can be more successful. I feel as though they're getting to an age where there just are not retaining concepts like I would expect and am looking for some successful strategies that I can implement. I will be sticking with my Hollywood theme and behavior management system. Oh and I'm hoping to switch back to 4th grade, which I should've never left in the first place.

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

I have 30! :eek::eek::eek: And they're all six years old!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Centers are an exercise in my patience at times!!

8. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Mar 26, 2009

Next year I am going to be thankful everyday that I have a job. This year I took that for granted.