What will/did your first day look like?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by applecore, Aug 6, 2013.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 6, 2013

With only a week left before I have to report back to work and sit through 4 days of inservice meetings, I'm sitting at my kitchen counter with my laptop, working through lessons and planning out how the first days of school will be like for my new 3rd grade friends.

I have the normal drill of....

greeting the students,
    backpack and check in procedure,
    go through supplies
    welcome to 3rd grade memory book page,
    school tour, since we have different place to roam in 3rd grade
    introduction power point,
    rules & procedures,
    recess
    reading
    lunch
    math workshop (first time this year)
    weekly special
    dismissal

I'm forgetting something....

What's your first day like?

3. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

Practicing procedures.

Setting up notebooks and classroom economy credit/debit books.

My students know each other so we talk about our summer. They bring in 3 things like souvenirs or pictures to show the class and tell about their summer.

I introduce Spelling unit 1 and discuss their spelling contract.

Those are about the only things I o that weren't on your list.

Hope your first week is amazing!

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2013

I will begin to introduce Kagan Structures one at a time.

I will do several read-alouds, one of which is a novel that I will read for a couple of weeks (or maybe it's just a chapter book, lol!) - The Twits, by Roald Dahl.

Practice, practice, practice rules & procedures - the time I spend (beginning Monday!!!) will be more than made up over the course of the year in instructional time not wasted!

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 6, 2013

Routines, routines, routines. Hopefully every sits on the carpet at the same time to listen to a story, but that's never a guarantee on the first day of grade 1!

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 6, 2013

I'm not trying to hijack (I promise!) but I'm really interested in how you do this. I'm just starting Kagan and I've never done it from the beginning of the year. Do you mean you do one a day at the beginning? What structures do you start with?

Sorry if this is too off topic!! :sorry:

To the OP - I don't start until September 3, so I only have a vague idea. Procedures, "The Kissing Hand" read aloud and a kissing hand activity, "First Day of First Grade" little booklet thingie, VERY short simple math and ELA lessons (we start curriculum day 1!), begin introducing read to self for Daily 5.... Clearly I haven't written out my plans yet! But I do have awhile still...;)

OH! And taking their pictures!! I have to take first day of school pictures! :)

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2013

Haven't started thinking too much yet since I don't go back until after labor day.
    I'm thinking...
    -greeting, unpacking, settling in
    -classroom tour
    -bathroom procedures
    -read aloud
    -rules
    -lunch/recess/prep
    -writing activity
    -maybe get to jobs the first day if there's time

8. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Aug 6, 2013

First Day

We have staggered entry this week. So everyday is the first day for the students coming. It's a new group each day. I am assessing this week and the entire class will come next Monday. So I spent yesterday assessing incoming kinders and I was completely exhausted by the end of the day. Something about teaching kinders how to line up.

9. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 7, 2013

Staggered entry? How does that work?

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 7, 2013

Okay, you have me at Kagan Structures.

I've Googled and tried to find something to explain this, and coming up a little empty there.

But I found this AMAZING video on youtube....so far, I'm loving it!

Thanks for sharing!

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 7, 2013

Thank you all for sharing your ideas!

Read aloud. How did I miss this one??

My list will change by the time the first day rolls around because I'm going to stick my toes in the Daily 5 water and give it a go this school year...along with using a different Math Workshop. It sounds like a lot of change, but with us having to roll out the new CCS and having MORE time and freedom to actually teach strategies (Imagine that!) and work with students one-on-one, I'm excited for this school year.

And I've even said "no thank you" to taking on a student teacher. My P wasn't too thrilled with my saying no, because I'm the only one that was willing to take on two last year (one at the beginning at one at the end of the school year) and always willing to help! Yeah, not this year. He did say he understood after I went through my list of things that I want to improve on in my teaching...seeing how I'm facing my 5 year review.

Looking forward to more ideas anyone else has to share!

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 7, 2013

www.kaganonline.com :)

Their main cooperative learning book details the structures. Their stuff is expensive, but WOW is it amazing! I was lucky because their headquarters are in SoCal, so they had a deeply discounted two day workshop for SoCal teachers in the spring.

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 11, 2013

You are fortunate, indeed!

I think this will be something worthy keeping in my "wish list" folder to check back into.

Thanks for sharing!

14. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 11, 2013

We have staggered start for kindergarten for the first 3 days of school. Each day a different group comes to school, then on the 4th and 5th days of that week, the entire class is there. The goal is to have a small group setting to ease the kids into the routines and allow for the teachers to get assessments done. I have mixed feelings about it. I find it rather boring doing the same set of lesson plans for 3 days, but it's easier to assess them with only a few kids each day.

Those first few days are teaching routines...and practice, practice, practice! I read several books about school and rules. They also take a tour of the school and meet all the ladies in the front office.