What will be your biggest challenge this year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Jul 18, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

I'd wait until a couple days before and see if you get an e-mail with a schedule or anything like that. If you don't, I'd ask. I felt stupid asking that stuff last year too, but it's better than say showing up at 8 as a brand new teacher and finding out you were supposed to be there at 7! I think sometimes they just don't realize that new people don't automatically know this stuff, especially if they've done it the same way for years.

2. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 18, 2011

If you need ideas, pm me. I taught the college equivalent a few times. That's my favorite class to teach!!!

3. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 18, 2011

This is my first year in high school, so I imagine everything will be my biggest challenge :)

My biggest concerns right now are classroom management (I'm 25 but look 18 and 75% of my students dwarf me) and getting organized. All lesson planning, test making, etc. is done 100% in teams, so I'm not worried there.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2011

I'm going to be the only teacher responsible for the school's writing scores on a new state exam that no one seems to know anything about.

We are trying departmentalization for the first time. I've always loved being self-contained. I'll find a way to love teaching the same thing three times in a row. :rolleyes:

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2011

A few challenges, but I think the one that will carry throughout the year will be simply adjusting to new standards.

6. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jul 19, 2011

Like others mentioned, emotional distance from an often short-tempered, disorganized P.

My biggest concern is that there is a possibility that I will have no break or prep at all. Prep last year was during PE, which may be eliminated due to the budget.

And this is also my first year working full-time in my life. :unsure: I've been a SAHM or worked part-time for the last eight years. My hubby is very supportive, but I'm sure there will be moments where I wondered what I was thinking!

7. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

That would be wonderful. I am excited but feeling a little overwhelmed!

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 19, 2011

I probably won't know until I'm in the thick of it. That's how it played out the last few years anyway. Blindsided.

9. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 19, 2011

They haven't even given me my school email or password yet :lol: I'll probably end up calling or texting one of my grade-level coworkers to find out. I am just one of those people that goes into a sheer nervous panic when I don't know 100% for sure what is going on!

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2011

Haha good idea. I'm the same way! My P is extremely laid back and not into organization/planning at all. I think I absolutely drove her nuts with a millon questions at the beginning of the year when I got hired last year. However, now I'm the person she tells to remind her things because she knows I won't forget!