What Were You Doing?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by RiggsGirl, Oct 2, 2005.

1. RiggsGirl

RiggsGirl Rookie

Oct 2, 2005

Saw this on another board and thought it was something fun to do.
    I'll start:

10 years ago... I had just moved up to Massachusetts from Connecticut and started a new job teaching kids with autism.

5 years ago
    ... I had just begun my first public school teaching job.

1 year ago... I was in the midst of mine and my fiance's relationship being long distance, and was taking a much needed year off from teaching.

Yesterday: My fiance and I went wedding ring shopping. We ate dinner at home and watched the movie "Crash" last night.

So what were the rest of you doing....

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago...I was a first year teacher.

5 years ago...I had finished my master's degree.

1 year ago..I was teaching part-time AM kinder and spending the PM with my son.

Yesterday...I bought four new tires for my car. (sorry, nothing monumental other than spending $400 in 10 minutes.)

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago....I was in college in my science, math, and social studies block with Dr. Rundell, the most amazing person ever!! (I don't know if I would have finished school if not for her!)

5 years ago...I was teaching at the same school in 4th grade.

1 year ago...I was teaching 4th grade and finishing my work as an advanced candidate for my national certification.

Yesterday...I spent the day with my best friend. We shopped some, played with the puppies at PetSmart, pigged out on pizza and watched a movie.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago I was in high school.....counting down the months unilt I was able to drive!

5 years ago I was in college...having the time of my life....just 2 semesters aways from student teaching!

1 year ago I was in my third year of teahing......and starting to realize that it was time to get my resume together and look for a new school!

yesterday....I was spending time with family and friends...something I never feel I have time to do during the week :)

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago.....I was in 8th grade :)

5 years ago....I was in my freshman year of college trying to adjust and struggling to keep my head above water in some of my classes.

1 year ago....I was in my "professional block" semester taking all of my methods courses. I was just getting to know a wonderful group of ladies that I spent all day everyday in class with and that I still speak to on a regular basis....I can't believe that was a year ago already....

Yesterday....I was celebrating my 23rd birthday with my boyfriend. We went out to breakfast, he gave me my gift: an official Red Sox jersey, we went to the mall to have the numbers put on the jersey :) and then went for a wonderful dinner.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago I was in high school

5 years ago I was in college and having a great time with friends. I was also student teaching.

1 year ago I was working on my thesis for my masters

Yesterday I did errands with my mom and had dinner with a friend. I watched the Yankees and some college football.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago I was in elementary school

5 years ago I was running varsity cross country

1 year ago I was trying to work two jobs, do two years of school in one, and still find time to volunteer at the elementary school a few days a week

Yesterday I just relaxed, had a nice long phone call from my long distance boyfriend, and watched the new Family Guy movie ( I know its awful but I love that show!)...its nice to have time to rest after my crazy schedule last year!

9. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago I was in college working on my teaching degree wondering who will ever hire someone my age. (At that time I was already LONG out of high school.

5 years ago I was into my second year teaching, thanking my lucky stars that someone hired me in my old age (this I won't tell)

1 year ago I was helping my oldest son decide on where to go to college.

Yesterday I helped my son look online for scholarships so that he could go to college.

10. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago... I was a sophomore in college.

5 years ago... I was in my second year of teaching at the school I'm currently at (my 3rd year of teaching) and getting ready to celebrate my son's 1st birthday.

1 year ago... We had just celebrated my daughter's second birthday. (wow, had to dig for that)

Yesterday... we took family pictures for the first time for the four of us, got my daughter's glasses fixed, and went to the grocery store (yea fun huh)

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 2, 2005

10 years ago... I was a freshman in high school, learning the ropes in marching band

5 years ago... I was a sophomore in college, enjoying my children's lit classes, but hating my Literary Narriative class where my professor invited us to argue with us, then proceded to tell us we were WRONG, and my philosophy class, where my professor spent the entire class not debating issues, but picking apart arguments from our text. ...

1 year ago... I was beginning to get even more tired of my TA job and look even more intently for a better job

yesterday... I spent the day with my bf, who came up from college on his free weekend to visit me at my apartment. :)

12. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

10 Years ago... I was in 8th grade and starting to actually enjoy middle school.

5 years ago...I was a senior in high school and trying to figure out which college I was going to go to.

1 year ago... I was counting the days down to graduating from college and trying to figure out if I was going to survive student teaching.

Yesterday....I went shopping with a friend and just took some time out for myself.

13. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago (exactly!) we all heard the OJ Simpson verdict live on t.v.

5 years ago...I was preparing myself for an academically challenging year at UCLA.

1 year ago...I was completing my final stage of student teaching.

Yesterday...I had a nice dinner at PF Changs with my boyfriend.

14. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago...I was a senior in high school. I couldn't wait to finish!

5 years ago...I was in my last year at university. I was toying with the idea of whether or not to go ahead and get my teaching license because I didn't think teaching was for me. (luckily I changed my mind!)

1 year ago...I had just moved in with my boyfriend and had a lot to learn about compromise and getting along.

Yesterday...I vegged out and cleaned.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago...I was a stay-at-home mom with my daughter (1 year old) and my son (almost 5). I also ran a small home daycare.

5 years ago...I had just returned to full-time teaching after 10 years at home with my kids.

1 year ago...I had just started at a new school, which I loved, but was still overwhelmed with everything being new.

Yesterday...marking, laundry, watching a movie with my kids, and basketball tryouts with my daughter.

16. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago I was a sophomore in high school.

5 years ago I was newly engaged, working part time and going to college.

1 year ago I was in my final practicum.

Yesterday, I was not feeling well so I spent the day on the couch watching movies.

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago...I just graduated high school (class of 95)

5 years ago...I got married to my wonderful husband.

1 year ago...I started my daycare business

Yesturday...I went out to eat with my cousin

18. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago... I was in Tenth Grade in High School. I had to break up with my first boyfriend because he told everyone he was a vampire. (and bit a girl to prove it!)

5 years ago... I was in my third year of my first degree in University (BA in English)

1 year ago... I was doing my student teaching... the last step before certification through UMPI!

Yesterday... I taught Sunday School to seven 5/6 graders. I also watched with Mom a TV pilot that she is being contacted about today to see what she thought about it.

19. Sugar'n'Spice

Sugar'n'Spice Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago....... I was in Grade 6, and hated the teacher so much (LOL)

5 years ago......... I was in Grade 11, and enjoying the life of a teenager, sleeping in late on days off, and always on the phone to friends.

1 year ago........ I was working in a daycare center with the two year old group part time, and then looking after a lil girl part time, after work.

Yesterday......I hung out around home with my boyfriend, watched tv, surfed the net, and relaxed before the week started.

20. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago... I couldn't believe I was 30!

5 years ago... I wanted to freeze time so Kevin and my nieces wouldn't get any older and everything would stay the same. Unknown to me, I was pregnant!

1 year ago... I got to see my son graduate high school.

Yesterday... I decided I need cleaning help and plan to find it!

21. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2005

I'm surprised at how young some of you are!

22. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Oct 3, 2005

10 years ago ....... I was in the 6th grade. I played basketball and hung out with my friends.

5 years ago ......... I was a junior in high school. I was driving everywhere and sleeping all of the time. I had been dating my husband for almost 3 years.

1 year ago ........ I was in my first real placement in a classroom, and loving it! I had been married for a little over a year.

Yesterday ......... I told my husband bye at 4:30 a.m. :( . He left to go restore power in Texas. I worked on lesson plans and other school stuff all afternoon, and I worked with 3rd-6th grades in AWANA last night at church.

23. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 4, 2005

10 years ago I was chasing a 3yr old & a 1 yr old around.

5 years ago I was wondering when I'd have the chance to go back to school.

1 year ago I officially started my credential program.

Yesterday I planned out my second week in my classroom!

24. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 4, 2005

10 years ago I think I was getting over a divorce with first husband. :eek:
    5 years ago I was pregnant with child #4---surprize! :love:
    1 year ago I was at a funeral for grandmother :tired:
    yesterday I did school with the kids, (home school) signed up for a christmas card exchange, found a really good recipe for pumkin pecan pie, washed 3 loads of laundry, forgot to put a bill and two netflix movies in the mail--thought about it when mail man was at house. Made a potroast with broccoli and cheese sauce, and mashed potatoes. Ended day amazingly with husband.

25. abcstudent

abcstudent Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

10 years ago....I looked into a mirrow and wondered if I look attractive :cool:

5 years ago....I looked into the mirrow and was carring about my look :eek:

1 year ago....I looked into the mirrow and wondered what that strange thing was on my forehead :confused:

Yesterday....I looked into the mirrow and got a shock :eek:

26. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 4, 2005

10 years ago: Was in 8th grade, bugging my teachers and having a good time.

5 years ago: first year of college (architecture), first year away from home, first year of marriage -- lots of changes.

1 year ago: Starting student teaching (a whole year of it).

Yesterday: Substitute teaching for 3/4 mixed class, then working for 3.5 hours at Arby's ... long day.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  27. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

10 years ago: A junior in high school

5 years ago: Working on my education degree and having a blast with my friends. On the side I worked multiple jobs to pay for school

1 year ago: Planning my wedding, getting to know my new students

Yesterday: Packing to move to my husband and my new house and remembering our wedding (one month of marriage as of yesterday) !

28. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 4, 2005

*quote* Yesterday....I was celebrating my 23rd birthday with my boyfriend.**

Side note: Happy Birthday!! I celebrated my 23rd a few weeks ago!

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 4, 2005

I think that quote was from my post so I'll respond by saying thanks! :)
    Happy belated birthday to you!

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 5, 2005

10 years ago: I was a Sophomore in college. I was living off campus with a person I didn't really like and spent most of my time with my friend down the street.

5 years ago: I broke up with my cheating fiance, drove from WA state to Maine by myself with my dog and cat. Met my current boyfriend on Oct 6th (tomorrow), knew he was the guy for me at 2am on October 7th (and I hadn't been drinking, he just had nice teeth and was really funny)

1 year ago: I was just switched from working with little boy that has down syndrome to working with the behavior problem child.

Yesterday: read a book, stayed home sick.

31. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Oct 5, 2005

10 years ago I was a junior in highschool
    5 years ago I was finished my BA in psychology and was beginning my After Degree in Education
    1 year ago I was adjusting to married life
    Yesterday I went grocery shopping and to bible study!

Great post! :)

32. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 5, 2005

I agree!!

33. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 10, 2005

10 years ago I was siting in 8th grade, wishing the year would get over and my science teacher would shut up about rocks.

5 years ago I was starting my first semester of college.

1 year ago getting ready to start my student teaching in January of 2005.

Yesterday: I was watching Desperate Housewives.

34. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 11, 2005

10 years ago - Enjoying my new baby son. :love:

5 years ago - working as a substitute teacher and decided to start college.

1 year ago - getting ready for my final year of college and student teaching and survived a pulmonary embolism! :eek:

Yesterday - cleaned house and had a nice, quiet day at home. It was a rainy good stay-home day! :) :wow:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  35. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2005

10 years ago My husband I were living on my grandparent's property taking care of our three kids and my grandmother.

5 years ago I was going to college, making all A's and loving every minute.

1 year ago I was in my first semester of grad school getting ready to go visit my husband in Germany.

Yesterday I sat in a hotel room all day writing papers for grad school while my husband was at a convention.