What Was Your Worst Job Ever? (Teaching OR Non-Teaching)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2015

Even since my very first job ever at 18, my jobs have been pretty good, never a long drive, etc. I guess my worst one would be a recent one I had at a school in '13-'14. I actually feared for my safety a bit & the boss gave me the runaround & stopped paying me completely after a while.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 26, 2015

The worst job I ever had was one I worked at for a 1 day in college. It was an ice cream place and I worked Saturday night to close. I was supposed to work the next day but when I arrived for work, no one was there. The shop was supposed to have been already open for a few hours when I arrived. I called the boss and she had no clue. I went back home and then called in to quit after talking to my mom. The rest of my jobs have been pretty good.

4. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 26, 2015

I did piece work for a haircolor "company" ran by a friend of mine. I liked the product and needed the extra money, but putting the product together was hard on my hands and while she made $16 a pop, I got .20 a piece... She took major advantage of my kindness and willingness to jump when she said so, so when I joked about a "raise" and she harshly shut me down so I finished the order we had and told her I needed a break. She told me she'd find someone else... but she didn't and then the product stopped selling well... so... never again. I am worth more than that.

My very first job was working at a boarding kennel... I love dogs so it wasn't a bad job, but after I was there for a couple years my supervisor's husband lost his job and she offered to work my days for me for extra money, but when I declined I started getting write-ups for dumb things, like, too much dog hair on the floor... (In the middle of summer, you have 2 giant fans blowing at night and 10-25 dogs inside, there's going to be hair everywhere no matter how many times you sweep.) And then when dogs would go to the bathroom in their run overnight I'd be accused of not letting them out before I left and then written up... but when you have anywhere from 10-40 dogs, they can't all be let out last and when you close at 5pm and the next shift comes in at 7am... I mean... really? Kept telling our boss, who was the Vet at the Clinic across the parking lot, that I was doing bad. I told the vet she could come in any day after I left to check and that after 2 years, why would this now begin happening?

I ended up need major reconstructive knee surgery and quit soon after... my supervisor got all the hours she wanted.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2015

I have never had a non-teaching job. In college I disliked tutoring. I had to drive 40 minutes round trip to work, and I was paid $5 per hour per student for small group sessions. Some days none of the students showed up. I quit because I was losing money.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2015

I've never had a job I truly hated. I worked three part time jobs while going to college full time and I was stressed out trying to juggle schedules and study time while worrying about making the Dean's List, but I didn't hate the individual jobs.

Later while teaching I had a long commute that got old but I loved my school.

7. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jul 26, 2015

The most tedious job I ever worked was in the basement of the college campus library processing books to go out on the shelves. I thought I would like it because I love reading but it was mind-numbingly tedious. My coworkers and bosses were great though!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 26, 2015

Other than teaching and being an administrator (all within the same school district), I've only had one other job. Throughout college, I worked for a bank (actually, I started working there the day after high school graduation and up until two weeks before I started teaching). My bosses were so incredibly understanding about my crazy school schedule (some semesters, I worked Mon/Wed/Fri and other times I only worked Tues/Thurs). One particularly difficult semester (I was carrying 16 or 17 units), I only worked on Saturdays.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2015

Fellow "banker" here! My manager put up with me during my first year of subbing (I subbed a whopping 19 days that year!); he changed my position from teller to the client service counter where my absences wouldn't have as big an impact.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 26, 2015

I worked Accounts Payable / Accounts Receivable for a company that created billing programs for the medical industry. I also edited business proposals and some contracts (more on that later).

My job itself was so boring that I started pasting novels into Word documents in 8-point font so I could read without anyone being able to see I wasn't editing something. The leadership team was insane, and I often would work for 12 hours running in between three different offices editing multiple drafts of proposals because they didn't feel like sitting in the same room and talking with each other. Also, there was a terribly behaved in-crowd that was cruel to the rest of the staff, but cruelest to one another. The pranks they pulled on one another were straight out of middle school (filling someone's office with balloons). One woman had it out for me in particular. She found out I was allergic to latex, including balloons, and when that aforementioned prank was over, made sure to pop all of them under the air return. My contact latex allergy is now a lung irritation. Also, she was a martyr about coming to work with chicken pox. I haven't had them, and I threatened to sue the company if my exposure caused me to miss my honeymoon. It got really ugly after that. Eventually, even after giving notice, I wound up handing my boss my security badge and walking out mid-week. I had a subbing job waiting for me the next day.

Being in AR / AP, I could see the company was in bad shape before I left. They were bought out by a competitor within six months.

11. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 26, 2015

My first teaching job was by far the worst job I've ever had. It was pretty much every teaching horror story you have ever heard rolled into one. It was a rough year but nothing compared to you, catnfiddle. What you went through is harassment and how that can be tolerated in a workplace is beyond me. I feel awful for you.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 26, 2015

I worked for Cracker Hell, I mean Cracker Barrel, while in college. Horrible. My manager was a slave driver, and the rules were atrocious. There was no uniform assistance, and it had to be very specific colors, styles, and pieces-but they wouldn't give you a place to buy it, you just had to guess and come in, and they would tell you if you passed. If you didn't pass uniform check you would have to process plates which meant no tips. Speaking of tips...the clientele of CB is often an older crowd...you know, the $0.50 type. I lasted 3 months.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 26, 2015

I was a lifeguard in high school. My boss was an idiot, and my mom always told me that it was the perfect "training for the real world" and she was so right, haha! I usually had fun with the other lifeguards and I got a free gym membership out of it, so most of the time I liked it. Teaching swim lessons also got me used to crazy parents early on :) I always joke that it's a great job for a student but you just get too old for it at some point. I actually moved across the country for my first teaching job because I was afraid if I stayed in my home state I'd be a lifeguard for 10 more years, lol. I had gotten the offer and asked for time to think about it, and then went to a 13 hour lifeguarding shift. When I left for the shift, I was thinking it was totally nuts to move across the country knowing no one and I would probably turn it down. About 6 hours into the shift, I kept thinking more and more about how I'd be stuck doing this during the school year if I couldn't find something, and ended up calling the school on my break to accept the offer.

I also worked as a residential camp counselor a couple of summers, and I loved that but again it's something you have to be really young (IMO) to enjoy. Now I can't believe that I used to spend most of the summer getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night with absolutely no "down" time whatsoever!

My worst teaching job was in an inner city school with the boss from hell. If it weren't for the pay issue, I'd rather be lifeguarding! I'm not exaggerating at all when I say I truly believe this woman was suffering from some type of mental illness. She did finally get fired mid-year (and lost her admin and teaching licenses permanently) but that was after her reign of terror had gone on for almost 3 years!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2015

I babysat a lot as a teen. After high school I worked in a factory. Never hard just boring & one plant people were more bothered with seasonal than other, so that made it seem worse! I worked in retail while attending college during week & back at factory on weekends.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2015

The last one. (Teaching 6th). Wrist broken by a student, multiple death threats, weapon in the classroom, and an administrator that didn't care. Add the gossipy, miserable co-workers and I was miserable.

Non-teaching was an arts and crafts store. Miserable hours, understaffed, low pay.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 27, 2015

I can't even begin to imagine what you went through. It truly sounds like a horrible nightmare.

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 28, 2015

I worked at Macy's as a sales person on the floor who rings you up, folds up clothes, etc. It wasn't that bad a job, but standing on your feet all day in dress shoes and a suit/tie... I think I developed my plantar fasciitis that lingers with me today, from that experience.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2015

I had an awful job at a charter school for one semester. I took over mid-year, and they hated me. I had death threats, things stolen from me (my phone and lunches), and there were daily fights (5th grade). I cried almost every day driving home. The drive was 45 minutes or more, so that was a bad part of the job also.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I hated working McDonald's! I was in high school. Not that it was bad, just didn't like it. I worked the summer & then quit in the fall when they tried to schedule me Wednesday nights when I told them I couldn't work that evening ever. They would also post the schedule & then change it! Missed a couple of shifts because of it.

My worst teaching job was my first job, 2nd principal. I made the decision in October that I wasn't coming back the next year. I had to do what my teaching partner did. My P told me that if she picked her nose, I had to pick my nose. No centers for Kindergarten! My mentor was a retired teacher who taught 7th/8th grade math. The things that she would tell me were not developmentally appropriate for K. For Middle school, yes. I was having a conversation with her on the Friday before Christmas break. When I'm in mid-sentence she turns around, walks out the door for break. The only reason I didn't quite mid-year was because my husband was unemployed. I left at the end of the year, along with several other teachers. She was transferred to another school a couple of years later & eventually let go.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2015

I hated working McDonald's! I was in high school. Not that it was bad, just didn't like it. I worked the summer & then quit in the fall when they tried to schedule me Wednesday nights when I told them I couldn't work that evening ever. They would also post the schedule & then change it! Missed a couple of shifts because of it.

My worst teaching job was my first job, 2nd principal. I made the decision in October that I wasn't coming back the next year. I had to do what my teaching partner did. My P told me that if she picked her nose, I had to pick my nose. No centers for Kindergarten! My mentor was a retired teacher who taught 7th/8th grade math. The things that she would tell me were not developmentally appropriate for K. For Middle school, yes. I was having a conversation with her on the Friday before Christmas break. When I'm in mid-sentence she turns around, walks out the door for break. The only reason I didn't quite mid-year was because my husband was unemployed. I left at the end of the year, along with several other teachers. She was transferred to another school a couple of years later & eventually let go.

21. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 1, 2015

I've had a few non-teaching jobs and they weren't bad.

My worst job was a couple of years ago teaching. I had one group of kids twice a day. And they were horrible. Nothing like giraffe326 upthread but still. The students were disrespectful and the parents were horrible and we don't suspend a lot of kids because that number looks bad.

To be fair, we really don't have a lot of discipline problems.

A parent asked me to take them on a field trip that year because as a class, they hadn't been on one since 2nd grade. I told the parent that I would take it under consideration but I was leaning toward no. She got mad, yelled at me and I walked away. I told my P that I had to spend 2 hours a day with them and I did not want to spend any more time with them

I thought about quitting three or four times a week. I thought about just leaving and texting my P when I got home. I was never so happy to see a school year end.

22. Gerelt

Gerelt Rookie

Aug 3, 2015

For me its my minimum wage jobs I had when I was a teenage.

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2015

Non Teaching - While on summer break during college I worked construction the boss was an idiot and unsafe, he dropped a sheet plywood on me I "fired" myself the next day on advice of my dad.

Teaching - running into an administrator who has not spent much time in the classroom or was too long out of the classroom to remember what the front line teaching is like......

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2015

Never had any 'bad' jobs, but I did not liking working retail at all!

25. TonyBalonga

TonyBalonga Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

The worst job was teaching a class of 3 students, another class of 7 another of 7 (just three classes on a block schedule). There was no momentum - one absence made a huge impact.

(The superintendent of that school agreed - explained it to me in terms of momentum. I decided to trust that super.,but I don't know - strange things happening especially after talking and trusting the person.)

But I have to admit that things have been strange in non-teaching also.

Here is an example. I retired from teaching. I tried to get a job as a driver - shuttle driver and CDL-A driver (I was a CDL-A driver during the summer of 2010 - and though my trainer had two accidents with his previous trainees, I had no "trouble keeping it on the road" and even resigned before he taught me to have an accident).

The strangeness happened as I was trying to get a driving job. While driving my own car around town, I think someone was following me to check me out - to see if I was a good driver or if they could push my buttons or something? I had a feeling about the guy. He was a savvy driver. I even considered he was a cop. And since then I continue to believe this even more. Here is why.

While driving I noticed the left lane was ending. I needed to move to the center lane. I put on my signal light. The car behind me - but over one in the center lane - held tight. I was less than two seconds ahead of him so to move directly in front of him would mean I am cutting him off. I would say I was less than two car lengths ahead of him at 45 mph. So in that sense, he prevented me from taking the center lane. My lane led me to a left turn about 0.4 of a mile ahead. I could not move over - when I slowed, he would not go on ahead, and he would not slow down and let me in. Legally, I had to exit.

A normal driver would not worry about it - would probably have turned in front of the guy - squeezed in - forcing him to tailgate. A normal driver probably would not consider it as cutting someone off. But here is the thing.

I felt like the person I wanted to merge in front of was a cop, under-cover or something. I don't know why, something about the way he was behaving. THEN, within a couple of days, while listening to the radio, I heard a cop or someone on the radio saying something like "...a person driving who can't even switch lanes like a normal driver....I think he continued on talking about a person who, or people who drive with a signal light on, don't merge and exit because he or they don't know how to merge with traffic!" His tone was angry ridicule. I felt like he was talking about me! I really thought that guy was a cop that was following me. I am pretty sure it was a cop or someone like that on the radio. But maybe, not. Maybe the person following me was checking me out to see if I was a good hire. Sounds strange. Of course getting a job as a driver was on my mind daily, so maybe I was paranoid. Anyway, I wasn't able to keep listening to the radio at the time, so I don't know. I never did get a shuttle driving job, but I have been driving for my church and the passengers say I am a good driver.

I have retired from teaching. I did a lot of complaining toward the end. I felt like I should try to help the other teachers on my way out. So many strange things going on. I didn't mean to sound like a complainer, but I guess I did as I talked about so many administrators who don't seem to understand little common sense things. For example, they act like they don't understand that it can be more efficient for teachers to use norm-reference grading for daily work (especially if the school requires effort credit), (yet everything they said about no-zero policy or social promotion suggested they encouraged some kind of norm-reference grading instead of criterion-referenced), don't understand why really small classes don't work, common sense methods to set school up, etc., etc., etc., and take teacher time at worthless staff meetings to explain it.

I guess I think teaching is about the hardest job there is. I would say that if principals are going to run the show, teachers ought to get paid a lot.

I do recall years ago when teaching was fun.

I remember teaching one year with no principal (he lost his job before week 3). All of the teachers agreed that it was one of the best years ever - we all enjoyed teaching again. Teachers don't go into the class room to goof off. They want to teach. I think teachers are more likely to be off task is given stuff to do that makes no sense.

I have worked many summer jobs, worked as a laborer, worked about 4 years in science labs. Thinking back on all of my jobs, I think teaching has become the worst job there is.

26. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Aug 18, 2015

I worked (and still do, during the summer) as a waitress at a high end brunch type restaurant. My boss there is very demanding and very particular- she made me cry multiple times my first year.

Unfortunately, the tips are fabulous, so I kept going back. As time has gone on my boss now loves me (because I'm one of the few who hasn't quit, so after 4 years I know the ropes better than most) so she mostly leaves me to my own devices, which I very much appreciate.

Just to tell you how particular and snarky she is, though, I put my hair up in this intricate braid/bun thing one morning and thought I looked really cute. She told me hair looked like a 5 year old had tried to imitate Swiss Miss. I was kinda sad hearing that :(

27. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 18, 2015

I have always had very small classes for some courses. My smallest was 3. They are different, but I love them.

28. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 18, 2015

I had the worst experience as a summer nanny when I was 17. At the time, I didn't realize just how bizarre everything was, but when I got older, I realized that things were really messed in that household.

The mother didn't work, but I have no idea where she went all day. I used to take the girls out to parks and the local swimming pool and stuff. I used to see their father driving by slowly with women in his car to see if we were home. A few times we came home and their father was home and acting strangely. I realized later that he probably had a mistress in the house and was trying to sneak her out. Not to mention that the girls' had very bad behavior and were clearly acting out for attention. Looking back, it's pretty sad actually. Now, I probably wouldn't have been willing to go through all of that.

29. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2015

One summer during college I worked as a telemarketer of sorts. I was cold calling people to donate money to send kids to the circus. I'm still not entirely positive that it wasn't a scam.