What was your worst encounter/exchange with a student and/or parent?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tek, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

Feb 27, 2012

Just curious.

One of my friends said one of her 1st grade boys punched her. I was appalled. It made me wonder what other teachers' worst experiences/encounters are.

I'm currently a sub, and here is mine.

It came on my 2nd subbing job ever. It was 8th grade PE. One of the boys was named Paul. We were walking to the locker room from the baseball field, and I made a comment to him using his name. Something like "Nice arm out there, Paul."

He gave me this little smirk and said his name was Paul.

"That's what I said," I responded.

"No, it wasn't," he retorted.

"I said Paul" (as calmly as I could)

"It's Paul!" he said it exactly as I did.

At this point I cracked a smile. He was totally trying to mess with me. Then I had another less-than-memorable moment.

Another kid was walking near me and during softball he didn't give much effort to pick up balls that were hit his way. He just ... kind of let the balls go under his legs.

So I said, "Hey Daniel, let's give a stronger effort out there next time alright? You gotta bend over to pick up the ball."

"Bend over? That sounds (you know the word)"

Probably not the best choice of words on my part. I wanted to say something at that point like "We don't say things like that" but honestly I felt a little rattled and off my game. I felt like I had zero authority at that point and if I said something it would just fall on deaf ears. In hindsight I would have said something, but at the time that it happened, the class was just about over and I just couldn't wait for the next period. I felt fairly defeated.

I'm sure there will be more days like this. There always is in teaching, right? The key is to reflect, learn what works and what doesn't work so well, and to not beat ourselves up too much.

What about you -- what was your worst moment with a student or/and a parent?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2012

Long story short, one of my grade 7 students stood up in class one day and yelled, "There you go, being racist again!" (I had asked him to sit down in his chair). His mom ended up pulling him from receiving Special Ed services so that he would be away from my "blatant discrimination and racism". That accusation was the most devastating of my career.

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2012

At the beginning of my student teaching, there was a kid that used a racial slur against me. I was horrified and totally unprepared for that.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 28, 2012

I never had a really bad student situation. I had a very scary father yell at me at a conference because his son was receiving reading intervention. Doctors had been trying to tell parents since the boy was a toddler that he has delays, but they continue to deny it. Both parents had bad experiences being in special education growing up, so they refuse to let their son receive any extra help...Sad. :(

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 28, 2012

Since I got my own virtual classroom, it's been pretty good. Aside from the occasional parent who throws up his / her hands and tells me that my student is my problem, I've had tons of positive experiences. Face-to-face meetings with students and parents are joyful occasions!

For me, it's the lack of student exchanges that's the issue. I have over 30 students who refuse to talk to me or hand in any assignments, and I've been told that it's a bad idea to show up at their homes. It's a whole other kind of discipline than you may be used to experiencing.

7. juli233

juli233 Companion

Feb 28, 2012

wow Tek, your lucky if those are your worst experiences!!
    My worst was my first year I had been subbing at my school alot so I knew all the kids teachers, the EA that worked with our most difficult(severe FASD) student quit so the principal asked me to take it over. I was reluctant but decided to try. I lasted two weeks. I was worried every moment of the day that this boy would stab me with scissors or a pencil(we spent alot of time out of the classroom as he simply could not handle it) So a time when we were in the classroom was for art one day. Things didn't go his way and he ended up having a major tantrum(screaming, kicking, throwing things, flailing his arms trying to hit everyone and everything around him. Blind rage) Ended up taking 3 of us to carry him out of the room so that he didn't hurt another kid in his fit of rage.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 28, 2012

Hmmm, my worst?
    I had a student through a temper tantrum in my room and kick a desk across the room, endangering others in the room. I also had a student who was suspected of bringing a firearm to school, and he refused to give his bookbag, or get out of his seat until the police liaison arrived. (he didn't have a firearm, but I was terrified nonetheless)

9. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 5, 2012

I had a student once who refused to stay in his seat. He would just get up all the time and randomly wander around the room. A couple times, I got so frustrated that I would stand behind his chair physically blocking him from getting out of it. It wasn't until the next day that I noticed my legs had bruises where he was pushing the chair against them. Was I stepping outside my bounds by doing that? Anyway, this was a period of time where his mom had decided to stop giving him his medication for no reason. Things settled down again once he got back on it.

10. Tek

Tek Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

Yikes! That's pretty unfortunate. Sounds like he may suffer from ADHD and/or a severe lack of attention at home?

11. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Mar 5, 2012

I once had a preschooler who kicked me in the shins and stomped on my foot when I stood between her and the toy she was destroying. She had some aggression issues, to put it mildly.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 5, 2012

I had a student say something similar after he received a conduct mark for not completing his homework as per school policy. A Hospanic kid and a Caucausian kid had just received the same consequence but evidently I was picking on this boy because he "was black.".

13. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Mar 13, 2012

I had a nonenglish speaking child (pre-k) spit repeatedly on the ground. I got on my knees in front of him and pretended to spit and tell him I did not want him to spit. Once he undestood he shook his head yes. His cousin was also in the class. She speaks english well. She spit on the ground and then gave me an ugly look. When I scooted closer to her (still on my knees) she hocked a huge lugey right into my face!!!!!! Then proceeded to laugh at me!!!! The principal did not allow pre-k students to be taken to the office. I told her mother and she laughed too!!!! :dizzy:

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 13, 2012

I've had some bad experiences, but they're far outweighed by the good ones. The worst thing a student ever did to me was a young man who became angry because I would not give him the iPod that I'd confiscated earlier, because, as per school policy, a parent was required to pick it up. He pulled out a knife and began to lunge at me. Fortunately, I was able to react rather quickly and get out of the way, and one of our security guards was only a foot or so away from him, so the situation was diffused before anybody got hurt.

15. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 14, 2012

I hate when older students think they can treat teachers any which way they want. They have zero respect for anyone. It's so frustrating.

My worst students are those who refuse to be quiet, and when they are called out for talking, start talking about how it wasn't them. They're the ones who make my days go badly.

The worst time as a teacher I ever had was when I first started teaching at my old charter school. I was placed in a sixth grade classroom without the support or training I had been promised. The second or third day, two of my students got into a physical fight. I got between them, and was holding one of them back as he continued to swing at the other kid, who thankfully stopped. We were in the doorway to the room, and I called to the security officer, "I need some help please!" He responded, "You need to write an infraction first." He did absolutely nothing to help me. So, I moved with the student I was struggling with back into the classroom, asked everyone else to sit down, and just let the kid go. He ran out of the classroom... I wrote the infraction while the kids were talking about what had happened. I gave it to the security officer who was FINALLY helping by talking to the student who'd left the room.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 14, 2012

My worst encounter was early in my teaching. I was young 20's, and was confronting a female teen in the bathroom. She came at me with her fists! I was really naive and shocked. I got out of it without getting struck, but my P gave me a real talking to about diffusing students way before they get to that kind of violence. Great lesson!

My most recent - wow, today I have been super frustrated. Every day at work is constant frustration due to the work environment, then naughty or distracted kiddos push me even further. Today I yelled at one of my most wonderful kiddos - she is one of those who is very helpful, but sometimes it is interferring!! I feel like a super creep because I was out of line and I have a no-yelling policy.

Spring break can't come soon enough!

17. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2012

One of my kids was suspended by the vice principal. He had a good relationship with me and asked me to call his mom and tell her what happened. When I called her she screamed and yelled and cursed at ME on the phone when all I was doing was doing her kid a favor. She then told me that her kid tried to commit suicide and if anything happened to him it would be my fault and she would sue me and the school.

Well I went right to the social worker and turned out she had made everything up. Ugh. I wasn't even the one who wrote him up!!! *sigh*

And I've only been teaching a year.

18. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 14, 2012

This is not the worst encounter but maybe the most memorable. I think I've posted it before so in advance for being redundant:

My first year I was having a problem with a male student using profanity. It was becoming habitual. I went through interventions I was privy at the time (stolen from other teachers) and was at point of parent conference to elicit help in solving this problem. Conference was scheduled for after school in my room.

Just after scheduled conference time and as I was correcting papers I heard a sound in the hallway, a low muffled growl. I looked up to see a head pass by the window in the door and then the sound muted and disappeared. Back to work. The sound reappeared and gained strength. I finally recognized it as I had heard it before. It was Mom. On a Harley. She had ridden the Harley down the hallway, out on to the yard, turned around, back up the hallway and parked outside my door. The door flew open and there stood Mom - tank top, chaps, tattoos - hands on hips and with a snarl shouted, "What's this sh*t I hear about my son swearing!" End of conference.