What was your favorite gift from a student?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by myKroom, Dec 25, 2011.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 25, 2011

I was incredibly lucky this year and had quite a few gifts from my students. I have never had as many as this year!

My absolute favorite was a beautiful ceramic snowman that lights up and was personalized with my name carved into it. I asked the parent where she got it and she said her mother makes them. In 6 years of teaching, this is the first present I have received that has my name personalized on it!

I feel very lucky and blessed to be where I am right now!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2011

I got many gift cards from students. My most lovely student gift is a beautiful gray cashmere sweater
    http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...&CategoryID=10956#fn=spp=94&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=8

I got the nicest notes from parents in the cards accompanying gifts, thanking me for my work with their children. Cute handmade cards from kids...one that said she wishes that I go to 4th grade so we can stay together...aww!:love:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2011

I got several Tim Horton's gift cards--the kids see me every morning with my "Timmies", so they know me well.

The gift that made me laugh was a copy of Eragon. One of my students has been bugging me to read it for so long, that he finally just bought it for me. What made me laugh was the card, "I didn't wrap this for you, MrsC, so that you could start reading it faster!"

The gift that brought my heart to my throat was a beautiful ruby heart necklace from one of the kids on my caseload.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 25, 2011

I don't think I can pick a favorite. I think my favorite thing was seeing their excitement and watching their faces light up, whether they drew me a picture, or gave me a gift card. I had lots of homemade cookies and breads and cards. I definitely felt spoiled by my kids.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 25, 2011

I would have been grateful with a scribbled note in my student's Bee Books wishing us Merry Christmas from at least one of our families... Needless to say, I had a little bit of the bah-humbug's on their last day.

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 25, 2011

I got lots of adorable and heartfelt gifts but a couple of my favorites were the following:

1. A singing kermit the frog
    2. A lego creator set
    3. a gift basket full of frogs, ducks, and green items

My class knows that I love frogs and ducks and the color green. I am also the lego robotics coach. It was so neat to get gifts that the kids thought I would like based on what they know about me. In the past, at other grade levels the gifts were nice but they were things like lotions, gift cards etc.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 25, 2011

Well, I got lots of candles, some Scentsy, a couple of gift cards, and lots of candy. But the best was glass blown dove with a child's name on it. His mother sent it to me after reading a post I made about thinking about all of my kids that had given me Christmas decorations over the years. He was in my class last year, but his mom said I made such a difference in his life that she wanted me to remember him each year in the future. I loved it.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2011

My favorite was a recycled cookie can filled with homemade cookies with nuts, raisins, etc. I liked it so much I ATE THE WHOLE DANG CAN of them! I think there were 20 or so, and I gave away 2. NOW! I have to start exercising again so I can get back to 155. I am now @ 161.:eek:
    They were all diff sizes BUT talk about SINFUL! OMG! THEY WERE SO GOOD; crunchy, not soft like those sissy ones.:lol:
    Rebel1

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2011

My favorite gift I got this year from one of my students, was a pink spirit football tshirt. Everyone had one this past football season and I never could find the time to go down to the store to buy it. It perfect because I am a HUGE fan of high school football. I can't wait to wear in next season!!!!

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2011

We high school teachers rarely get gifts, but this year my desk was covered with bags of homemade cookies and candy--very bad for the diet, but very nice! One of my girls who works at the Hallmark store gave me an adorable Christmas cookie jar.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 26, 2011

The most precious gift I received was a Christmas card. I've received a few of them, but this was especially meant a lot. I teach 10-12 grade at a juvenile detention, so the students don't have access to anything. Some teachers give them Christmas cards to write and send home, and some of them choose to write it for their teachers.

This particular student was great in the beginning, followed my directions, and he was a funny guy. After about 3 weeks he shut down, became somewhat uncooperative and disruptive. Didn't know what happened, couldn't do anything about it (I tried).
    Then a week before the break we had a door decorating contest, this class period had to come up with ideas and implement them. I actually gave the base idea and they ran with it. Everyone was involved, and some of the students are really great artists. This student had some great ideas and let him take complete control of that part. He really shined! I don't know if it was the art project, or that he saw that i really cared, because I was involved in drawing, coloring, cutting, pasting and helping them or that he saw that I had an artistic streak in me, but we really bonded.
    I didn't make it obvious, treated him the same way I have been and everyone else, although we had a lot of fun.

That first day he wrote on the board 'Merry Christmas Miss Marianna, I love you'. That was so sweet (even though they're not supposed to write on the board, lol).
    The day before last he gave me a Christmas card. He did both of these right before the class left.
    On the last day he sat with me and asked me a bunch of questions, if I was gonna stay, etc and he seemed really concerend. (my contract is up on Jan. 13, and they know it.) His whole demeanor and attitude changed, he always made sure the students were listening to me, etc.
    That was the sweetest present I could have hoped for. Not just the card, but how he turned around.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2011

One of the gifts I really love is a small Christmas tree that lights up. I liked it at first, but loved it when I found out that my student and her mom MADE the whole thing. It's amazing. It was really special to me also this year because I didn't put up a Christmas tree since my husband is deployed. I was able to have a tree at home with this gift.

I also received a lot of nice things-tons of gift cards and other things. I especially loved that one student gave me a Christmas card and wrote a really heartfelt letter about how much she was enjoying class and that she was learning a lot.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 26, 2011

Linguist, I hope you are able to stay there. From reading previous posts, it sounds like that place is a good fit for you and you for them.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 26, 2011

The best gift I received was a card from a student that said, "You make me smile and laugh every day. You're the best teacher EVER!"

I got a lot of chocolate (the kids know I have a major sweet tooth) and a few gift cards, too.

My kids are awesome.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 26, 2011

One gift I got that was unexpected one time was from a dad (in a roundabout way). The mom was shopping with her kids and they were waffling between a few items so they agreed to send the pictures to dad and let him have the final vote. There was one gift he immediately said, "THAT is the gift." What the mom didn't known until much later when the two of us were talking about it is that the dad knew my item had broken after two times of using it because he caught me grumbling about it in a parking lot on a trip he happened to be chaperoning. It was a beach bag. He had it pegged right. I think it was my first beach bag I ever bought myself and I was disappointed when it broke. It was a silly thing to grumble about but it was heartwarming in it's own way when I realized he listened and responded accordingly. It was cute his wife had no idea behind the story and I thanked them both for it. The real gift from the child came in a simple drawing. I posted all my drawings all year long and I now have them collected for keeps.

Edit to Add: The best gifts I got from that family though were pictures. The mom has a talent and a really great camera. At some point or another, I have had all three of her children in my class and I was a bit teary when she dished out old photos to give me when I got my first classroom showing me all the great memories leading to that point.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

Do all of you eat the homemade cookies from students? For me, it depends on the family.:sorry: I truthfully mostly get gift cards and other gifts, not cookies, but I tend to not eat many of the homemade things.

18. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 28, 2011

No I don't...it does depend on the family!

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

The little ones are so funny! All day they were looking at my desk asking me why I was getting presents! ;)

I got a few travel mug cups this year (one of them a very bright animal print with a little mirror attached-woo hoo!) and a few boxes of tea-which to me was very thoughtful because that's what I drink all day. I also got a candle holder and the little girl was very excited to tell me she smelled all the candles and picked out the ones that smelled best!

20. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

My favorite gift is a sheet of paper a child ripped from his notebook the day before break. He folded it in half and wrote "gift for Ms. alioxenfree from: billy gift" on the front. On the inside, he drew a picture of an elf (I think) next to a Christmas tree with snow falling around him and he wrote "happy Holday Ms. alioxenfree." This is from a struggling student who is very dear to me. I appreciated the candy, cookies, gift cards, and other things I received, but this gift is a treasure.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 29, 2011

I once had a high school dorm student who decided that she wanted to give a few adults during morning cafeteria duty a present. She gave each of us a starburst. Mind you, she only gave it to three out of maybe 10 teachers. I only saw this student at most an hour each day and really not even that since I didn't sit at her table often and frankly I didn't even know her name. Quite honestly it made me wonder what I did that she felt was special enough to warrant a gift. Something made an impact. What she did made an impact on me too because it reminds me that we have an impact of some kind in everything we do.

Another example of that was during a college class many years ago. This was before I was at the very beginning of me even thinking about teaching as a career (no teaching classes yet). I remember a group project and there was this foreign student that I really really struggled to understand and communication (especially with me being deaf) was clearly an issue. She just looked like she needed some patience and understanding and I know how that feels so I made sure I communicated with her often despite the struggles. During her presentation she literally stood in front of the entire class and presented two classmates an origami gift and verbalized how she appreciated our kindness. The other person was not in our group. I kept this purple cricket on display for years (recently much of our stuff has gotten lost in a recent move). It's a reminder that people need us to reach out a bit and that consideration goes a long way.

22. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

I never eat any food that comes in to school home-made - unless I am SURE that the family is clean, so pretty much never.

I got a gorgeous tiffany necklace from one of my kids, I love it!
    Her mom also wrote me the most loving letter. I will hold on to that for a long time <3

23. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

I got a cupcake maker from a student this year. I absolutely love cupcakes to the point it's my classroom theme. I can't wait to use it!

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

One of my students is also a good family friend.
    They took my sons overnight last night as a gift.

Each year our parent organization asks parents to contribute to a gift given to the teachers from the whole class. This year we each received school spirit sweatshirts, movie gift card, and gift card to a locally owned supper club. NICE!

25. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Dec 29, 2011

1. A framed shadow box with my last initial made out of crayons.--it's awesome and the child was SO proud.
    2. most practical and used right away--Starbucks GC
    3. most sentimental--some salt dough ornaments a student made at an after school program and gave me.

26. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 29, 2011

I didn't get a whole lot of gifts but I got several notes. The most special one was from one of my ELL students who thanked me for my patience and helping her learn English.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

My favorite gift is Rachael Ray's EVOO dispenser, from a family that we are good friends with, and know that I love to cook.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 29, 2011

A Tiffany necklace? Are you kidding me? Do you teach in a high socioeconomic district? :eek:hmy:

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2011

One of the teachers I work with received one of these too--it's wonderful!

30. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I got a bunch of shower gels and lotions this year, but a number of parents put money in a pot and out of that came a professional massage GC, a movie theater GC, and other fun stuff. One student brought me a beautiful angel that sat on the prayer table for the last couple weeks of Advent, and she isn't even in my homeroom! She is in the 5th grade social studies so I only see her 40 minutes a day. She REALLY struggles, but works harder than many of the others. Another student wrote me a wonderful note that will be permanently located in my Happy Notes file. Those two gifts were the ones that meant the most to me.

31. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2011

The gift cards were nice. Got a couple other things, one of which I rewrapped and put under the tree for someone else.