What was the best present you GAVE this year?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Dec 27, 2010.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 27, 2010

We have a thread about the best gift we got for Christmas, but since I get so much more joy out of giving, I thought it might be fun to share what the best gift we gave this year, and to share the recipient's reaction.

There were several memorable reactions. My two older boys were excited about their snowboards, but they had an idea that they were coming, so their reaction was happy, but not over the top. The same with the youngest's snow shoes. So, in no particular order...

Stuart received Electronic Battleship. When he opened it, he gave a little squeal and said "Wow, I got electronic battleship! I must have been a REALLY good boy this year!" I'm still chuckling.

The only thing William wanted this year was Cross Country skis. Now, he didn't tell me he wanted them until 5 days before Christmas. Before that, when asked, he would shrug and say "nothing really". Remember, this kid is only 8. So, when he told me the Monday before Christmas that he wanted skis, I went into desperation mode trying to find them. I didn't have much luck, and got him snow shoes instead (he was there when I bought them, which is why he sort of had a clue what he was getting). So, one of the women I work with has much younger brothers. Her parents still had their outgrown equipment, and sent her home with the smallest set they had. They're a perfect fit for William. Now, they do need new bindings (they're at the ski shop now having them put on), but, when I told him I had the skis, the squeal he let out nearly ruptured my eardrum. He's so insanely excited! That squeal was worth every moment of desperate shopping!

So, what were the best gifts you gave?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I gave my daughter a necklace that says "A mother holds her daughter's heart forever." I just wanted to remind her that no matter what, I'm always by her side. :)

4. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 27, 2010

I found a hat that looks like an owl for my owl crazy daughter. It was just dumb luck that I found it while I was browsing at JC Penny's. It was the last one, and it was on sale! She loved it.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

The best gift I gave was a home made pie to my neighbor. She is a recluse, and I have seen her maybe 5 times in the 10 years I have lived here. Her husband told me that was so fond of pie that she would probably run across the street and hug me. She didn't, but knowing she would enjoy the pie made me feel good.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 27, 2010

This particular year, no gift I gave outweighed the other. I love wrapping & watching people ripping open gifts! I wish I could have given my loved ones a LOT more, but I've given better in past years. :)

Gift card to my mom for one of her favorite stores
    Lotto & scratchers to my dad (that's one of the only things I know he likes...he's hard to shop for)
    Nice sweater for my BF
    Scented candle/solid perfume/scented matches set to BF's mom
    Gift card to the SLP I sub for

7. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 27, 2010

That is fantastic, Blue!

8. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 27, 2010

This is a great thread, MMSWM.

The best gifts I gave were:

1. A real sewing machine to my 9 year old. She loves it.

2. Treats and goodies for all the neighbors. Some years I don't get this far so it felt good to do it.

3. A homemade blanket for my husband and one for our yellow lab. They both LOVE them. :)

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I gave my husband a Tardis cookie jar, some headphones, and a hard drive for his computer.

My mom got the best presents this year, and I think that's how it should be! My stepdad gave her a nice new camera, and I gave her an old piece of Fiesta ware and two collector's books (one autographed.) My husband and I got my mom and stepdad a new computer. They needed one so badly!

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 27, 2010

My daughter and I gave cookies and candy to the firehouse down the road on Christmas Eve. There were about 10 of them all making their own supper. I know they need to do their job but it makes me sad to see them missing Christmas with their families...

Guys are SO hard to buy for but I think I scored big this year. I gave my dad and brother Scentsy candles! They love them!!! yea

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2010

We don't really exchange gifts in our family, but I do always take the opportunity provided by "angel tree" programs and choose a couple children to shop for. The twelve year old girl had two things on her wish list: coloring books and a nice bracelet. I loaded her up with coloring and activity books and lots of fun colors...the big box of crayons, coloring pencils, the twisty crayons, color-changing markers...just about one of everything Walmart offered. But what I really hope she liked was the bracelet. It's obviously hard to buy for someone you don't know, but I tried to consider all the "clues" provided by her profile and chose something I think she'll find beautiful.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 27, 2010

My Dad got my mom an ipod shuffle to listen to when she walks-I loaded it up with 220 of her favorite songs. I used to make CD's for her all the time from my CD's and can remember the ones she really liked. It didn't cost me anything-just took some time to complete.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2010

It was something small and simple, but I gave one of my nieces a photo collage picture frame. She absolutely loved the one we picked out. Her reaction was priceless....and over something that I thought was such a small gift.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

I made just about everyone a corn pillow (got the idea from someone on AtoZ, Tiffany maybe??). They all love them. My dd age 8 said she's addicted to hers. They are so warming and cozy, like a portable hug.

Bandnerd, that is so sweet.

Tiffany, my DD, also 8, would love a real sewing machine. I saw a Singer, very simple, for $79. I decided against it, though, since I have a very simple, if old, Singer and she can learn on it.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 27, 2010

My mom loved her Kindle. I loved the one she gave me. We are both book worms!

16. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 27, 2010

Ha ha....yes, the corn pillows. I gave them out too and they were a big hit.

The sewing machine I bought my daughter was a $79 Singer from Walmart....wonder if we were looking at the same one!!

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 27, 2010

I got my niece a sewing machine last year. Well, more accurately, I gave her one that I already had, but had never even taken out of the box. She really loved it.

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

Could be the same one!

People just love those pillows. Mine is in the microwave right now :love:

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

My 8 year old wanted a quilt. Everyone has a quilt that someone in the family made for them but her. So my husband and I stood in line the day after Thanksgiving to buy flannel for a quilt. My husband cut out the sqares, and I made quilt squares for a crazy quilt. Then we ironed them and put them in a bundle with a note from Santa telling her that Mrs. Claus felt that sewing it together was a special treat for her and mom. Tonight we started sewing. Hopefully by the end of break we should have a quilt for her. I will post it when we finish it. But someday I will be able to tell her how her uncrafty father spent hours cutting out 90 twelve inch squares to make her this quilt. And she will realize how much love is in each square. She also had asked for an American Girl doll. She was so excited to find one under the tree that looked like her. She hasn't put that doll down. In fact we took the doll shopping today for clothes.

I also made a lot of my gifts this year. My brother in law's mother is living with him and my sister. She is having a hard time adjusting to moving from her home in Colorado to Tulsa. She loves roses, so my sister got her new bedding. I made her towels with her initials and roses on it. She was so touched by the gifts. It was fun seeing a 93 year old woman as excited as the 8 year old child.

I also got my husband and son new phones. That was hit. I made purses for my sister and aunts. My mother's sister loved it. And of course everyone got personalized towels. Oh, and my 8 year old asked for a crayon roll and she loved her personalized one with princess material.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 27, 2010

mmmm, wonder if I could manage to make everyone a gift for next year. I have the pillow for my GD almost done, I started it for her last Christmas.

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2010

I also did backpacks for the little ones with a personalized embroideried item that fit their personalities and their names.

I sold them at a craft fair to make the money for all the supplies I needed for my personal Christmas gifts. I bought the backpacks premade at Hobby Lobby and just embroideried them and add the jewels to the girls. I sold 9 back packs, 6 purses, and numerous towels and burp rags. I have lots of burp rags left for baby gifts in the future. I found great white towels with black border. I used 6 inch letters to personalize them. They look so professional. My sister had a fit over hers and my daughter's teacher loved them. In fact I had request for them, but I couldn't do them before Christmas. I think I will do them next year as my craft for the craft fair.

22. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Dec 28, 2010

Ooh, Mrachelle, can you post pics of those crafty items?? Please, please.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

I gave (anonymously) a gift card to a clothing store to a student that I learned had only had 2 pairs of clothes.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 28, 2010

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 28, 2010

Didn't take any of the towels or crayon rolls.

26. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 28, 2010

I gave my daughter a necklace with earrings set. She was really surprised and she loved it.

27. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2010

My boys both got electric razors from Santa and were very happy. My favorite was a gift for my niece whose going to do a semester abroad in 2 weeks - she got the huge duffle bag from LL Bean.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

For older son: paid his application fee for grad school (MBA program, he got in!)...and a flat screen tv

Younger son: a Wii...we've been having tons of family fun with this one and he really needed some fun, down time after a tough semester

husband:Sketchers men's Shape Ups...he's renewing his commitment to diet and exercise and I want to support him

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

We will not celebrate until today (since it is almost 2 AM) son, DIL and MY GRANDDAUGHTER will be over to see us.
    My son (27) likes wrestling So I am getting him an action figure of his favorite wrestler.
    DIL likes to paint so I am getting her a smock.
    and granddaughter, well, she is my granddaughter so she will make out like a bandit! :)

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

I wanted to give something small to our three neighbor kids, all girls, so I bought them books and put a couple other treats in their gift bags. They were so excited and the one girl had about 20 pages of the book read just while we stood there and talked to her mom. The other thanked me about a million times.

Also, last year my BF gave my family the Rock Band video game. This year he gave them Rock Band 3 with the keyboard and expanded drum set. They have so much fun playing that game and now all 5 of them that still live in the house can play at the same time. They already had it out of the box on Christmas night and the living room was rocking. It really cracks me up to see my dad playing. It's a great game that everyone from my 10 year old sister to my other sibs in their 20s to my parents in their 50s enjoys playing together. So even though that is more from him than me, I loved seeing them enjoy that gift.

31. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 29, 2010

This year, Santa brought an X-Box 360 for the boys along with several games. They really enjoyed that, but they also got smaller items chosen specifically for them. My oldest (14) got a book by one of his favorite authors and my middle son got the hardback Ripley's Believe It or Not 2010 Edition. He shares my obsessive love for the Ripley's books, which I began collecting when I was in 6th grade. My youngest is 8 and got mostly toys.

I gave my mom a certificate for a 60 minute massage at a local spa. I also found a pair of fleece pajama pants that actually match the fleece bathrobe she bought from a local thrift store. Both of those were a big hit! Last year, I had very little money so I gave her a small photo album with pictures of the boys in it.

As for me, I also got a pair of fleece sleeping pants, which are very warm to wear around the house. But the greatest gift for me is just being with my boys and watching their excitement each year.

I did get a chance to take them with me on a special Christmas mission this year. The day before Christmas break, I learned one of our school families lost their house to fire. The mom (who teaches at our school) took the car to town for tires and returned to find their home burnt to the ground. :( Her children attend our school as well and her daughter was one of my students last year during my ST. Fortunately, they had already found a place to stay by the time I got the email from our P. In addition to an update on their status, it listed several things the family had planned to give the kids for Christmas.

So I took the boys to Wal-Mart and GameStop last week and had them help pick out Christmas gifts for the boy (2 years old) and girl (13 years old). We bought a Tonka truck for the son, a Wii game for the daughter and a $50 gift card for mom and dad from Wal-Mart that can be used for items or groceries.

I was very proud of the boys for really understanding the situation and helping choose the gifts. When I explained the family's whole house burnt down, even my 8 yr old said "That's really sad, daddy." I said "Yes, son, it is, so we're going to try to make their Christmas a little happier if we can." All three boys became really excited about helping the family out.

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2010

I have a son with autism and he never asks for anything. He also has a difficult time expressing emotions, so we never know if he really likes something we buy for him. This year he began telling me shortly after Thanksgiving that he wanted a larger monitor for his computer. He spent several weeks showing me sites on line with monitors he liked.
    We found the monitor he wanted and when he opened the package on Christmas, he actually smiled and wanted to go set it up immediately. I get such warm, fuzzy feelings inside when he actually clicks with something!

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

Ah, swansong, that's delightful to read!!

My top 4 were the big gifts for my family:
    the American Girl dolls for the girls,
    Kinnect for Brian,
    and the Kindle for Peter.

34. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 29, 2010

My favorite gifts that I gave were:
    A Hot Pot for my niece, with assorted soups, cocoa and noodles! She lives in the dorm at college, and was complaining to my sister that she can never make a cup of cocoa or tea when she comes in from the cold. She loved it!
    I also knit a purse for my son's girlfriend. She loved it, and got a little teary eyed to know I knit this whenever she wasn't here!

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 29, 2010

I laugh at this one because I know what a Tardis is! I bought a Tardis USB port for my husband. My favorite gift I gave this Christmas though was a medieval chess set (to my husband).

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

For those of us who are scratching our heads over TARDIS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS