What was/is your favorite subject to learn about and/or teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pacificpastime, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Feb 18, 2011

I have always enjoyed reading and learning about literature. English was always my favorite subject in high school and college. Now that I am an elementary teacher I find that I enjoy teaching Math. For some reason I can see the kids' minds ticking and it is enjoyable to watch. What about the rest of you at AtoZ?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Feb 18, 2011

I'm torn between math and social studies. I love creating new games and PowerPoints for math that support my curriculum. The story of history and the interaction between history and geography here in California is equally as interesting.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2011

I loved what we did in English throughout high school and college. I am also a huge history buff (though I couldn't stand W. Geography) so anything having to do with history, though particularly 1400-1500 England. In science, it would definitely be biology. In a perfect world, I would love to teach 8th grade honors (Eng I) because this is when they teach Romeo&Juliet and The Oydessy. I would also like to teach World History and U.S History through Reconstruction.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2011

My favorite subject to learn in school was math because it was so rigid and followed a specific sequence and pattern. However, now that I'm a teacher--those are exactly what I dislike about teaching math. I, instead, love to teach reading and writing because it is so open and there are so many things that you can do. Plus, I love the discussion.

I truly wish that I could teach math more through a discovery model, but my district does not want us to very from the curriculum maps and pacing guides.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 18, 2011

Above and beyond by far, I love teaching and learning about ART. And because I teach art, I can draw from any subject matter I feel like. Close seconds in the 'learning about' category are history and biology. Even though I did relatively awful in chemistry due to all the mathematics involved, I loved learning about the content especially because of my teacher. I just didn't like figuring it out.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 18, 2011

I come at it from a somewhat different perspective - but pretty much all of it is tremendous fun both to research and to teach, especially when I can help people make connections they weren't making before.