What Upsets Me The Most...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NJSocialStudies, Jul 13, 2011.

1. NJSocialStudies

NJSocialStudies Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

Not the fact that I've sent out 100+ resumes in the past two months.

Not the ever-present stress of where money will come from.

Not even the constant questions from friends and relatives as to, "How's the search going?"

What upsets me the most is the woman at the small private school I chose to get credentialed at, sitting there, explaining how there is always a need for teachers and the the program was an excellent investment...all of my professors, save one, who mentioned nothing about the impossibility of getting a teaching job in the NorthEast...and lastly, the day I quit my well-paying job to start student teaching with such high hopes...a job that I can't get back, but would love to right now.

3. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

well, it is your responsibility to look at the market before you invest that much time and money into something. social studies isn't exactly an in demand field as there is a surplus of social studies teachers. you could look the statistics up for that and what fields are in demand. of course many colleges are going to tell you something like that because they want your money. sorry if that sounds harsh as i don't mean to come across that way.

4. NYTONJ

NYTONJ Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

teach 42...that does sound very harsh. I thought the purpose of this forum was to give/get some support to those in need.

NJSS, I understand where you are coming from. I saw all of those ads begging for good teachers in the NY area as well. Don't lose hope and know that it is ok to throw a pity party once and while, but then you have to get back out there and keep pounding the pavement! =)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

OK, I'm all in favor of a pity party now and then. God knows I've had my share.

But it's mid July. This is NOT the time for a pity party. It's the time to get a job. Mid September is a better time for that pity party.

Whether or not you should have known how bad the tri-state (and in fact, the whole country's ) job market is simply doesn't matter at this point. It's spilled milk. The point now is to find a job.

So... what do you do?

Well, for starters, I would revisit my cover letter. Make sure there's a lot of YOU in it-- that it couldn't possibly be written by ME. I want to read at least one or two very specific stories from YOUR experiences in front of a classroom. I want to finish that letter thinking "Now THIS is a teacher I want to meet." When it's done, make sure you give it to 2 or 3 people who are good with editing, to ensure it's error free.

Do that this morning. Unless you're having root canal or having your fitting for wedding gown, there's nothing else as important on your agenda.

Now take a look at your resume. Make sure it's totally error free. (OK, I KNOW you've already done that. But it has to be said.)

OK, then hit Google. Email that letter and resume to every single public, private, religious and charter school principal within a 60 minute commute... then broaden that commute by 10 minutes. And I mean SCHOOL, not "district." If a principal finds out tomorrow that he has an unexpected opening, make it incredibly easy for him to decide he wants to interview you.

Would you consider relocating? Then hit the entire state.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 13, 2011

I think that the Universities are now STARTING to let the new teachers know that the market is saturated with teachers and the Universities keep pumping out new teachers because that is their purpose. But the task is not impossible if you are willing to relocate. There are positions to be had but it may take a little discomfort (moving) to get a teaching job. The benefits once you get that job outweigh all the hardship that you endured when you were looking.

Keep you head up, heart strong, and be determined. (Easier said than done, right?) Teaching is like selling a house... it only takes one just right fit to convince the buyer. Be that just right fit. Make your resume interesting and your cover letter innovative to catch the attention of the next principal looking for his just right fit. GOOD LUCK!:thumb:

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 13, 2011

:yeahthat:

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Also, send out a blanket email to everyone you know. Let them know you're looking for a Social Studies job, and ask if anyone knows anyone who would consider walking your resume in to their principal's office. Who knows-- that neighbor's cousin you chatted wtih at the 4th of July barbecue might be willing to put in a good word that would get your resume looked at??

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 13, 2011

Alice is right. It IS a tough market and you're in an especially rough one, unfortunately. As I like to say, it's the time to spread those resumes like thick blackberry jam.

Also, be prepared to be a substitute in the next school year, if need be. I will be completely honest in averring how important subbing was in shaping the quality of teacher I became. Student teaching was good, but subbing sharpened and personalized my classroom management and discipline skills. I considered it well worth my time, especially since I wound up really loving most of the schools that would have me.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 13, 2011

I agree that subbing is a great alternative. It really gets your foot in the door and you are the first person an administrator thinks of when a teacher leaves mid year and they need someone to come in quickly, know the routine, and transition the class smoothly. But, I HATED subbing. But, it helped get me several job offers so I did it with a BIG smile on my face and went the extra mile of making sure lesson plans were carried out to the letter. I made sure the room was neat and tidy. I made sure that the teacher had notes on my day. :cool:

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Oh I agree! It's hard when people (especially the college) are telling you that you will find a job and then you find out there aren't any. But it is July! Many people are hired in Aug (just check out last year's new job posts) and Sept or even later. Keep your head up and follow Alice's suggestions!

12. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 13, 2011

This is exactly what happened for me a couple of years ago when a teacher suddenly got sick in the middle of the year. I had been subbing in the school a lot and when she unfortunately got sick, the principal called me and asked me to come in two days later to take over the class.

Other than that... I agree with what everyone else has said. Send as many resumes as you can and talk to everyone you know.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 13, 2011

I totally understand what you're saying. When I was in school it was all, 'there are tons of jobs in NJ'. Yea right.

Subbing gets your foot in the door, sure. But you can't survive on that pay. I subbed for 2.5 years in NJ. One year (working almost everyday) I made $5000. Woo hoo.

Send resumes out EVERYWHERE. Don't be like those people who just apply to one district. After I realized that I started getting a ton of interviews and eventually landed a job.

Also did you ever think of getting a certification other than SS? Those jobs are really difficult to come by. Most people like when you have a science or math. (even language arts).

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 13, 2011

I guess I'm really grateful for my university because they never once said it would be easy to find a job :lol: In fact, they prepped us and taught us how to stand out since the market is so glutted. I graduated with maybe 50 education majors and I know at least 5 have gotten jobs in Ohio and a few more were hired out of state so I considered that pretty decent in this economy! We had a great career center that had a specific education person who did our resume and cover letter with us and let us do as many mock interviews as we wanted. You can still use them even way after graduation, which I think is nice!

15. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 13, 2011

I totally understand how you are feeling! I went to a smaller private school and received no help with getting a job! We never talked about resumes or interviews. No one ever talked about the job market! I've had to learn all of that myself. Sometimes, I think that college professors are slightly "out of touch" with the real world. I graduated in 2009 and have been subbing for the past two years. You should give it a try if you don't get anything full time. It will at least help you keep your foot in the door.
    I also chose something more specialized (music) and alot of people have told me to consider adding another endorsement to it. You might think of doing that although I know that since you just finished private college, you are probably not flushed with money. If you sub in the fall, that could give you a chance to see other areas that you might be interested in teaching besides social studies.
    Don't get discouraged by what people are telling you. When someone asks me about my job search now, I remain very positive and tell them all the things that I am busy with.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Maybe a better response would be: "Do you know anyone who would walk in my resume??"

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 13, 2011

As much as possible, take your resume in person...dress professional, smile, brush your teeth, and be positive.

18. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 13, 2011

What really hurts is that I have been working hard to get my resume up to date and tweaked along with my cover letter. Then I never hear anything! I follow up, I send emails, I drop off my resume in person, and nothing. It gets hard when all you deal with are no responses or a bunch of nos.

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 13, 2011

:agreed:

20. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jul 13, 2011

I know it's not much encouragement, but all I can really say is - just keep going!

I got my first job teaching last year because I called the principal at a school that had no openings. She told me that she'd just found out that day there was an opening and told me she would contact me for an interview. She did just that and a few weeks later I had a job.

21. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 13, 2011

Right now my hopes are kind of crushed.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2011

...brush your teeth:lol:

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 13, 2011

I have never been hired until AFTER the school year started and the only reason I was interviewed was because I hand-walked my resume in. I was later told that they chose me because I also sent a hand-written thank-you note.

I agree on subbing. It will get you experience and can help you get a foot in the door. Treat every day that you are subbing like an interview. Put your cover letter and resume up here (with personal info deleted of course). There are some really great editors who helped me immensely.

Getting a teaching job is hard. It's even harder if you are in a saturated field. You may need to an additional subject area. Direct quote from a principal "Social Studies teachers are a dime a dozen."

24. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Don't be too discouraged yet. You've been applying for positions; however, districts are just starting to open the positions to the public. It's only July!

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 13, 2011

Mopar is right. This is the time of year that teachers will decide to not sign their contracts. There will be a new swell of openings (I can't vouch for size said swell) by the end of the month. Sadly, I did check the jobs for NJ Social Studies and didn't see openings at this moment. However, as Alice pointed out, that doesn't cover private or religious schools.

26. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 13, 2011

I am in Texas. Austin actually and the market is saturated. I am working on ESL certification but that is going to take awhile.

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2011

Austin was glutted back in the mid-nineties as well. Back then , we were told to apply for para jobs in Austin.

I didn't want Austin so I never applied so I don't have any personal experience.

28. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 13, 2011

Check websites DAILY! I just noticed 10 new jobs open on my state's website this morning. School starts in less than 3 weeks. My mother told me of a friend whos DIL decided not to return after having a baby just yesterday.

Go ahead and put in where there are no openings because they might have one tomorrow.

29. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

I feel for you...when I entered school there were jobs. The semester before student teaching things got bad and it didn't make sense to quit then. Also, nobody I talked to knew how bad it was. Not even my mother, an educator of over 20 years.

Keep pushing and weigh your options. Can you move? Go back for a second career? Get certified in another area? Remember you have options!

30. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

This is how it was here too. One of our professors told us the week before we graduated that just two semesters ago, there was such a shortage of teachers that even the former students that he had given a bad reference for were getting hired. However, that was no longer the case and now hardly anyone was getting hired. He told us not to expect to get a job right away or even for a few years. Two of the major districts around here are in a hiring freeze, and the sad part is that many people don't realize how bad it has gotten.

31. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 13, 2011

It seems as if some teacher programs are making teaching appear to be such an easy career in order to lure professionals from other fields to go into teaching. During the last several years I've been hearing several ads in the radio about how easy it is to become a teacher by offering very flexible classes. Once these programs get your money, they don't care much what happens afterwards. I could see how this is so deceiving.

32. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 13, 2011

I know what you mean! My parents are teachers so I knew what I was getting into, and even I didn't realize the market was quite so bad as it actually is until I started searching myself. When people asked about getting jobs in my university classes, they just waved it off and said we'd be better prepared than most candidates and wouldn't have any trouble. In that state, when you graduate you get a 2 year provisional license. In order to get another one (after the 2 years) you have to have worked for a full year and completed a mentor program at a school. Some people asked what would happen if we didn't get jobs in 2 years (a very valid question) and they said "oh, you'll get jobs!" I've described my college program on here before, and I really do believe it was excellent and better than most. However, it was at a small private school, so unfortunately most employers outside the immediate area wouldn't have heard of it. I did luck into a job last year (I'm willing to admit a lot of it was luck), but I had to move across the country knowing absolutely no one to get it. There are areas of the country that have better markets. I think if you're serious about finding a full time job, you'll probably have to look into those. I know I wouldn't have gotten a job in my home state. No one graduating from my program this year or last year (when I graduated) has gotten a job in our home state. Those willing to look elsewhere have been able to find work.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

Keep in mind: colleges need tuition in order to stay open! It's a case of "Buyer beware!" They promise you'll meet the requirements for certification; it's up to you to determine whether or not there will be a market for your services.

For what it's worth, it's been no secret that the northeast has faced a glut of teachers for decades now. I remember my uncle trying to talk my cousin into another major when she was in college in the early '70's.

34. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

35. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 13, 2011

I'm from a different state than you, but I did find out later that if you haven't found a job within the 2 years you need at least 6 hours of graduate school credit to renew the license. One of my friends had to do that- how frustrating that not only can you not find a job, but you also have to shell out thousands for more classes! Maybe this is the case in your state as well.

36. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 13, 2011

I hate the whole "you need experience to get experience". I've subbed for the past two years, and it seems like I can't get away from that. I need the leave replacement experience to get a full-time teaching job, but I need leave replacement experience to even GET a leave replacement job. By me, subbing doesn't count for anything, even as a building sub.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

I'm not sure why anyone in any course of study would believe that a job was a 'certainty'.

Even in better economic times, teaching jobs in the northeast ( NY/NJ metro area in particular) were tight. It's a competitive market made even more so by budget cuts, legislative initiatives, shifting needs and requirements...sorry for your frustration, but don't give up. You will find a way to make it work out...even if you have to sub, or take part time...find a way to keep in education, get your foot in the door and get experience. Good luck to you.:)

38. NJSocialStudies

NJSocialStudies Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

Wow! Never thought I'd get such a wide array of responses. Thanks to everyone who participated (thus far).

Here is what it really boils down to:
    In case you haven't heard, there are now pending lawsuits against universities by former students, especially in law schools and other specialty schools, who were deceived by recruiters by inflating their stats about graduates landing jobs. Just google "Unemployed Attorney sues law school" (they won't let me post the link on here for some reason)

Now you may agree, or disagree with that method of righting things, but rest assured more of these lawsuits are coming and it stems from the problems with our university system. Case in point: me. I completed my teacher certification program part-time while working full time. I support myself in a very expensive part of the country and there was no way to move "home" for me to save on expenses. Now at the very least, prior to having student teach, which is impossible to work full time during, I would have loved to hear from just one person, "At this time, teaching jobs are next to impossible to come by so those of you who enjoy earning a living may want to consider at the very least putting off this expereince." That's all I really would have wanted. I would have considered it. I still would have paid them my money...just at a later time.

No, I never expected someone to hand me a job. But I did expect someone to advise me that the market is tight and there will be time to finish later.

39. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 14, 2011

I think on this I would have to agree with you NJ. I entered this teaching program in 2009 believing and being told we need teachers especially good ones and that there would be hiring. Then all of this stuff with the budget crap happened. Just to get a job now I have to look into moving my family which is my husband, my cats, and myself, but still. Hands down I concur with you NJ.

40. meggierie

meggierie Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

NJ, I agree with you as well. I went to a public university for my credential, a school that did not need to actively recruit students. Every professor, every master teacher, every advisor said that I would certainly get a job because I was good at what I was doing and I had a credential in 3 different subject areas. Here I am, two years out of the program, and still looking for a job. There are so many people at the university and in the teaching profession that I encountered who had no way of benefiting from my tuition. Not one of them even hinted at the idea that I might not have a job. All I heard was how easy it would be find something. I was even chosen as a student teacher at one school because my master teacher was retiring and they wanted to prepare a replacement! They ended up having a part time teacher in the district take over part of her schedule to become full time and increasing class size slightly to take care of the rest of her classes.

I know that it is partly our responsibility to research the job market for our profession, but I think talking to people in that profession IS doing research.

41. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2011

Well, for starters, there are lots and lots of unemployed people in most careers who never foresaw the economic downturn. Five or six years ago, the unemployment numbers were NOT a cause for concern. So I'm not sure that we can hold colleges resonsible for not predicting it. Asking anyone to predict the future, and then holding them responsible for that prediction, simply isn't fair.

But beyond that, colleges are in the business of staying in buisness. So asking a professor probably isn't the best way of getting an unbiased answer. For starters, they're not in job placement. They aren't likely to have a current idea, simply because they haven't been looking for jobs in those areas; their job is on the college level. Asking a local superintendent, checking Monster.com, asking currentl elementry/secondary teachers or looking at the want ads in the Sunday paper probably would have painted a more accurate picture of what the job market was at a particular point in time. As I've mentioned, NJ has been a brutal market for elementary ed, English and Social Studies for as long as I can remember.

And there are some teachers who DO get hired each year. Even given the fact that this is probably the worst year in the past 40 or 50 for teacher employment, something like 55 members of this forum are on the "newly employed" thread. So there ARE people getting hired, just not in the numbers we've seen in the past.

I'm not sure that law suits prove anything. (After all, let's remember that McDonalds has to warn us that their coffee is hot, as a result of a lawsuit.) I honestly don't think it's fair to sue something for not telling you something you had the ability to learn on your own. But that's neither here nor there.

A little venting is good for the soul. But once that venting is over, I say you throw yourself right back into the mix. School starts in 6 weeks, and SOME teachers WILL be hired between now and then. This is the time to work at being one of them.

(NJSocialStudies: you'll be able to post links once you have a certain number of education-centered posts. It's to cut down on people who join only to spam.)