What type of teacher clothes are your fav?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Alaskanteach, Aug 6, 2006.

1. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 7, 2006

what about sneakers that are leather? not all leather, but you know what i mean.

2. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Actually, I had a pair of new balances that had suede toes. I still tossed them in the washer and dryer. I didn't wear them every day, but I wore them at least once a week, and they lasted for about 2 years.

I probably tossed those in the washer every couple of months or so.

3. Jenni

Jenni Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Though everyone has had excellent suggestions I don't think there is a fix for me other then gym shoes so I hope I can get them allowed. I do wear orthotics but I wasn't sure everyone would know what those were if they hadn't had them. However, the foot doctor I saw (in 8th or 9th grade) said I was not to wear dress shoes, sandals or go barefoot, ever. Unless I wanted surgery and/or severe pain.

Before I got my orthotics I would wear through payless shoes. I would wear out the shoe till the sock on the side. It isn't flat foot or anything normal. The foot doctor simply said I had oddly shaped feet. Whether they grew this way later in life or we just didn't catch it until middle school is hard to know. The fact remains I haven't been able to find any shoe other then a white gym shoe that is supportive enough for me.

I actually end up buying like, running shoes, because they are the only ones with enough support for me. And to keep my feet/back/lower leg from killing me I have to buy new gym shoes every 3-6 months. When I go to the store recommended by the doctor they usually only have one pair for me to even pick from, that's in my size and supportive enough. I am between a 7 and an 8, with my left foot slightly bigger then my right. Between all these issues shoe shopping is always a nightmare.

People keep suggesting "comfortable" shoes, but the fact is none of these work. If I am on my feet even in flats, which everyone tells me are comfortable, for more than an hour or so my feet/legs/back hurt for the rest of the day. I use to try wearing dress shoes for choir concerts and things. Eventually I had to give up and just get dress pants with gym shoes.

I plan to keep searching for at least black gym shoes that are supportive enough but so far nothing is working. Maybe I will have to go see the foot doctor before I start student teaching. Maybe someone can custom make me something. My feet aren't growing anymore so I guess I can spend a bit on shoes if I have to.

Though this is frustrating I have heard some very nice clothes ideas. I will be looking around Christmas for some student teaching clothes and some interview clothes so I may be checking back with you all and letting you know what I can find then. I have been to JC Penny's and they did have some fairly reasonable suit prices. I have yet to find out if they'll fit without alterations though.

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Sorry jenni- that sounds rough.

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

After years of military marching, my feet are ruined.

Since my day goes from meetings with school administrators, to classrooms, to labs, to volunteering, to chasing my own kids, I wear cushion supports in my "mules" (leather, closed toe, rubber sole, and cushioning support) and New Balance (Trail shoes) sneakers.

I have found leather mules "fit" most professional dress codes with closed toes, stylish, and also versatile (looks good with suits or casual clothes). I also look for a solid one piece heel/sole (like a clog). I have also found that "Trail" shoes provide the most support, but tend to be too chunky to look professional.

Unfortunately, these shoes tend to run over $100 a pair (but they DO last, mine last about 2 years). Before these I would go through "cheap" shoes about 5 or 6 times a year.

As for everyday clothes, dress slacks or ankle length skirts with polos, blouses (with or without sleeveless shells) or sweaters. For casual, capris and a nice t-shirt or polo.

When I have to interview during the summer here in AZ, where its always 110 or higher in the summer, I wear a sleeveless blouse shell, a jacket, and a "skort" or slacks coordinating with the jacket. Then, when its cooler, layer another blouse over the shell, jacket, and slacks.

6. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 8, 2006

Can't you order online? Or have catalogues sent to your house?

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2006

I really miss Mervyn's.:( Used to shop there all the time when we lived in California.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

Jenni, they make some really nice looking white sneakers. I usually buy a pair of them for school (high arches, bone spurs, and messed up ankle). My dad has to wear black at work. He buys Rockports (at Shoe Carnival the price isn't nearly as bad). Have you looked at those? I know they are "men's" but the basic shoes could go for either. My master teacher when I student taught had a nice looking pair of slippers that had the really thick sole. She would change into those at school sometimes. My best friend's principal has a pair of beautiful rosy pink Isotoner type slippers. She wears those on days that she is doing lots of observations (their school is built into a hill so the halls go up and down pretty steep - makes for some fun trike racing...so I'm told!! :D :angel: )

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2006

I wear button shirts with a pair of khakis with shoes like Dansko. In winter, I wear nice sweaters. At our school, everyone dresses nice and I think it speaks well of our teachers.

10. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 8, 2006

Im sorry if this suggestion also won't work, and I know you've probably tried them...but what about those 'nurses shoes'? You know the ones that are sneakers...but not really?
    Wow. i just read that and it seems mighty unhelpful - lol

Alright, they come in white and black and camel, they are leather, they lace up the front, the sole is a little thicker in the back and made completely from rubber.

My cooperating teacher wore them all the time and swore by them...plus one of my friends is a nurse and will not wear anything but those to work!

I think I read earlier that you have custom inserts to put in shoes - right? so then it seems to be the problem would be finding enough support for the sides of your feet. I dont think nordstrom has a store by you, but your could always go to nordstrom.com and try to find a shoe that would be supportive enough on the sides. If in doubt call 1-888-282-6060. I can promise that almost all of the operators will bend over backwards to help you.

good luck

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2006

I wore those all through high school and college--my busgirl/waitressing days-- and they were wonderful!

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

.... I know it seems like a lot to spend, but investing in a good pair of shoes really does pay off. I buy Born or Clarks (two pair, one in black and one in brown), and wear these all year.

I agree!! I've found both Born and Clarks for less than $30.00 at Ross Dress For Less.

13. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

yes, I could, and DO if I already KNOW something will fit me well in a particular size (like I am just replacing something I already own).. but if it is a brand I haven't tried.. it usually ends up not fitting, and then I just end up frustrated.

The good thing is, whenever I leave state for a training, or something, my ADORING, LOVING husband sends me with a couple of thousand dollars to do with as I will (neither of us makes much money- but he will save up). Love that man.:)

14. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 8, 2006

Wow, AlaskanTeach--does that husband of yours have an (older) single brother?? HAHA.

15. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 8, 2006

Amen to this post! If we want to perceived as professionals, part of the deal is presenting ourselves as professionals. Too many people make excuses for dressing WAY too casually in the classroom.

16. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Actually, he's got two... but one you wouldn't want... really.. haha.:D
    He has a sister that is really nice, but all said and done, I got the best of the six..

17. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 8, 2006

and obviously the most thoughtful!

when you see a group of siblings who are all such good people don't you immediately admire the parents?

18. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2006

Wait-- hold please STOP-- You are going off what a foot doctor said in 8TH OR 9TH grade? Times and technologies have changed slightly. My dad is a foot doctor, but I live in Chicago so I had to find one of my own. I screwed my leg up running actually... Anyway he reccomends the easy spirit to A LOT of people over heels because they look like nicer than tennis shoes but they are pretty much glorified tennis shoes. I wouldn't suggest payless for support! http://www.easyspirit.com/index.jsp I do just wear my running shoes mostly cause I've talked ot my principal and he doesn't seem to care as long as he knows why... Most peoples bodies aren't praportionate so don't feel bad.. my left foot is a 2.5 and my right foot is a 3. So as you see I can empathize with your foot "issues." KIDS shoes are made totally on the cheap too! (I can sometimes wear a 5 but many places don't believe in that--- I suggested Nordsrtoms cause I thought by your post you had ultra small feet like me. If you are in illinois you must have a Filene's nearby too. It's hit or miss, but sometime syou can find some nice stuff. So if you get it ultra cheap then you can get them altered (pick your dry cleaner if you are near Chicago they are EASY to find and they usually charge 10-12 bucks--but well worth it!)

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2006

I think it depends on your situation. I get peed on, puked on, change diapers, am on the floor (am on the BATHROOM FLOOR)etc. ON A DAILY BASIS. We are only allowed jeans on Friday, but well I don't DRESS UP per se. I wear black pants and a plain nice t-shirt from Old Navy or Gap usually.

20. TESOL_is_fun

TESOL_is_fun Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I have to pipe in that Lands' End blouses are the best! I like the ones with three-quarter sleeves and a straight hem--no tucked in waists or buttoned cuffs. The best part is that you can wear them straight from the dryer with no ironing. Furthermore, they're often less than $20 on their overstocks website. I have a whole rack of them!

21. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

He's the cutest too

http://www.hfhanchorage.org/photogallery/index.php#event13

click on
    groundbreaking
    (Image 11 of 14)

I adore him!:love:

Do remember though, when you consider that my husband is being generous to give me money to go shopping on trips, that I don't shop for clothing that often here.. so if you add up all of the "little" shopping in a year, what would it equal? Quite a bit, I bet..

22. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

Got a linky?:) sounds right up my alley!

23. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 9, 2006

what a handsome guy you've got there!
    is that super cute baby yours?

quite a bit is an understatement, lol. but then again, i dont have any other things to take care of!

24. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

both are mine!;) Honestly, I think the fact that he is holding the baby makes him even cuter..

25. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 9, 2006

do you participate in hfh frequently?
    i think its one of the greatest organizations around.

26. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

All summer!:)

27. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 9, 2006

AlaskanTeach...you weren't kidding! Very cute, and the baby too! :-D

28. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Thanks!:)

29. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

ditto!!! Lucky You!!!

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2006

www.landsend.com
    And always check their overstocks. I've gotten some great things there as well!

31. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

The *ONLY* shoes I *EVER* wear to work now are Crocs (the ones with no holes). I never suffer anymore and am like an Energizer Bunny on them! :-D

32. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I agree...Crocs rock!!! I wore them all last year and didn't have foot or back pain at all! I had back surgery almost 8 yrs ago and if I don't wear comfy/supportive shoes, my back kills me at the end of the day...so I was very doubtful of those foam looking shoes until I tried them on and actually wore them...WOW!! They are so comfortable and I have never had anything said about me wearing them...and they last. I have yet to wear a pair out.

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

It has been said on every post like this that we have, your location dictates a lot about how you dress. I teach at a very rural school. My students and parents would be uncomfortable with me in formal dress. The majority of the time I wear khakis and a nice shirt. I do have a fair amount of teacher t's that I wear as well. Maybe, because I have just never put that much value on appearance (not cleanliness, but wearing the right brands, etc, it just doesn't "matter" as much to me.) I don't make a lot of money and can't afford to buy a lot of clothes. I am also a science teacher who has something going a lot of the time. Ruining an $18 pair of WalMart khakis is so much better than ruining a $45 pair from somewhere else.

34. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I also think personality plays a big part in what teachers wear. I personally am comfortable in khakis and a t-shirt shell with an over-shirt. I even do the same in a skirt...which we wear on Wednesdays for chapel days. I cannot see myself teaching in suits and heels...however, I never wear suits and heals. I probably need to be nominate for What NOT To Wear. LOL

I have never had any complaints or sideways looks at what I wear each day...that I am aware. :)

35. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 10, 2006

awful news

i went into my school today to see my room and talk to admin and such and i found out that they schools wants us to dress super casually (i wore a polo, jeans cuffed up to my mid calf, and flipflops and was told my outfit was fine - WHAT!?!) and they would prefer their teachers not get dressed.

*sighs* im going to have to go shopping now :(

seriously, who else would possibly get bummed to be told to dress casually?!? lol

36. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

Ooooh...I would love that!:wow:

37. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Where can I buy those "Crocs" shoes? I haven't heard of those before!

38. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 10, 2006

39. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

That's very strange. What reason did they give for expecting teachers to dress that way?

40. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

You can also go to crocs.com and find all different types of styles.