What type of lesson plans do you make

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Oct 22, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Oct 22, 2017

I teach a curriculum, and most of the materials are there to plan out weekly lesson plans for the whole month. However, the November lesson plan was never purchased, so I am going to plan out activities that fit around themes for fall. We learned about pumpkins and spiders, but we never did a lesson on fall leaves. I figured that it would be easier for me to plan a daily lesson plan each day this week because it is hard to make out idea's for the whole week with nothing to go by.

In my grad degree program, I just learned that teachers who teach higher grades tend o have an individual lesson plan for every subject! I think I will just stick to the little kids lol

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2017

The key in lesson planning is having the end in mind (what do you expect them to understand by the end of the unit/topic/etc...?). From there, you then can map out what you want them to be successful with after each day. As a 4th grade teacher, I don't create an individual lesson plan for each subject, but I do have the end in mind and then my weekly planning is jotting out what learning activities and smaller goals there are that will help reach that endgame. I only end up jotting down a handful of notes, but have more thorough thoughts ready to go.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 22, 2017

Sounds great. I usually have this thought when planning small group activities. I think about what I want each students to learn or review and I assign activities that way.

So you only jot down notes? No lesson plan template

mathmagic likes this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2017

The only time I use a full-on lesson plan template is for observations, or when I'm trying to carefully pull apart a particular lesson (i.e. if it's specifically for some cohort work). The full template is extremely helpful in challenging you to process through each key part of teaching, but is also very time-consuming. Eventually, it's so internalized that when jotting down notes into your plan book and preparing materials, you're doing many of the steps in your head, as well.

For example, I plan on doing a Second Step (life skills) lesson on Monday/Tuesday around assertiveness, and I'll just jot some basic notes about what the overall plan is for each day / maybe the learning target in my plan book. However, in my mind, I also know that I plan on having the vocabulary connected to it available on an anchor chart, describing it verbally, and acting it out (visually), to differentiate for the different needs. I plan on having students connect it to their home lives in some fashion (deciding that today) - a home/school connection - but don't need to jot that down in my plan book.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 22, 2017

We only have to submit lesson plans for 1 week per month to the admin. My lesson plans are usually 5-6 bullet points of what I am doing. Otherwise, I don't write formal lesson plans, but I do, of course, design activities and problems which I will go over in class.

7. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 22, 2017

We're departmentalized at the 5th grade level. I teach science and social studies and have a separate lesson plan for both. Science lesson plans must be in 5E format.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 22, 2017

I already have a plan for the entire school year. Over the summer we put together a pacing guide with the daily learning targets and assessment dates for the entire school year. We also made all of the assessments themselves. These were submitted to the district curriculum person over the summer.

From there we plan out each unit. Those are not submitted anywhere. I do my actual daily lesson plans on a weekly basis. Those are uploaded to a shared folder every Friday so the principal and others who do walkthroughs can access them.

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2017

In my current school (where I am subbing for 8 weeks) I have to have a weekly plan. This is one sheet of A4 divided into 5 days and 5 periods. All that is required is a lesson title. I teach science so the title might be 'Atomic structure' or Solids, liquids and gases'. The Head of faculty expects to see that sheet on the front desk so that he can have an overview of what is going on and can check that each class is progressing through the schemes of work. I am not required to provide a written plan for each lesson but like most of my colleagues in the dept I use a powerpoint that, slide by slide, progresses through the lesson with information, video links, activities, practical instructions and questions embedded in it. Other schools I have worked in might expect detailed 3 or 4 page pro formas filled in for each lesson detailing in micro scale everything planned for the lesson and details about the kids and how all their individual needs will be met by the lesson. needless to say these are schools that generally have high teacher turnover.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2017

You JUST learned that teachers write a plan for each content area? Other than following your packaged curriculum, what plans have you written? Even at the early grades, educators should be planning across the curriculum, including content areas: language arts, math, science, social studies, health. With a leaf unit, you could easily plan for the week with some math(counting, patterns...), ELA (read aloud, letters, poems...), science (different leaves from different trees, names of trees, seasons...)

11. TeacherCuriousExplore

Nov 21, 2017

I use one whole grid sheet plan where I write down what I will do for each area or time of the day. I do not print out separate sheets for each subject to do a lesson plan. All of my subjects are on a grid sheet