What type of degree do you have???

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Green_eyed_gal, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

I'm just curious what types of degrees everyone has... I have a degree in elementary education and I'm waiting/hoping to get a job next year.

Those of you who have degrees in areas other than education, did you have any classroom training before you started subbing?? Did you district(s) offer any training?

I don't think I would have survived subbing without my interning and student teaching experience... I would have been completely lost!! :eek::lol: Subbing is a hard/challenging job!!

I just got a letter in the mail from the district I sub in and they are actually offering classes in classroom management, survival skills and instructional strategies. I thought that was awesome they support their subs in this way!! :2up: Even though I've already had classes, I think I'm going to go. Every instructor is different and I'm bound to learn something new... And it's free!! :2up:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2008

I have a Bachelor's degree in Interdisplinary Studies (Education). I agree that w/o student teaching, I would completely lost subbing!

Those classes sound like a great resource and I would definitely look into attending all of them!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2008

I have a BS in El Ed and an MS in SPED. I'm a sub, and my district is offering the same classes through the Teacher Center. I was thinking of going also. Nothing like a refresher course.:)

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

Well I just started this past week and I am currently working on my BA in ECED and Communications. I have about a year and a half left to complete my degree. Its challenging but it is also interesting and on the job training I do not think I would get any other way. You should def go to those workshops- I have gone to a few seminars and they are great to refresh everything- it is well worth it.

6. MalPal

MalPal New Member

Mar 15, 2008

I have a degree in English and a certification in Adolescent Ed. I had subbed before my student teaching and I think the best thing I learned from subbing was to be flexible. After my student teaching I knew a lot more about classroom management and strategy, that I could apply to my subbing, though. My districts don't provide any workshops...I think you should definately go to those!

7. shirld

shirld Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

I have a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Teaching (Primary) and was able to start working in classrooms as soon as I got these. Since then I have gotten a Masters in Education, Graduate Certificate in Learning Technologies and Graduate Certificate in Information and Communication Technologies Education.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 16, 2008

I have a double major in Marketing and Accounting and I have my alternative certification in Early Childhood through 4th grade.

I had no experience in the classroom when I began subbing. I did teach and explain to adults in my previous job. I have my own kids and I also watched 3 other children the summer before I started subbing. My district offered a 3 hour orientation and I didn't really learn anything in that. I think they offer more now.

My first day subbing I had a PPCD class so that was an experience. It was one of the longest days of my life but the teachers were so nice. I have been subbing for 4 years now and most of my experience is in k, 1, 2, 5th and PPCD.

I am sure it would have helped to sit in the classroom and observe before I actually taught. I can't tell you how much because I never experienced that.

I think it would be super hard to become a regular teacher with no subbing or student teaching experience. My alt cert program only required 20 hours of student contact...LOL... I had something like 200 days!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 16, 2008

I have a BA in Finance, and an MBA. No certification, which is fine for my private school.

Teaching just came naturally to me - more than any other job. When I was a child, my grandmother would take me into her classroom frequently. I loved it when she gave me standardized tests. Pretty weird.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 16, 2008

:rofl:

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2008

Standardized tests, when they're not stupidly written, are fun: it's like a series of puzzles to beat.

12. November

November Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

Double major in Economics and Political Science. I haven't subbed yet but I just applied to my first district; so I'll see how it goes. Wish me luck.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2008

Good luck, November!

14. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 16, 2008

Good luck, November! Last week was my first week. Best wishes!

15. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Mar 16, 2008

Good luck November! Let us know how it goes.

16. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Mar 26, 2008

Good luck November!

I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and am certified in Elementary Education as well.

17. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 26, 2008

BA in History with a minor in Secondary Ed.

MAsters to come in ENglish Lit or something around there.In NY to continue teaching you need a MA no matter what the subject.

18. HMM

HMM Cohort

Mar 26, 2008

BS Applied Mathematics
    MA Mathematical Statistics
    Ph.D. Mathematics

I don't have a teaching certificate (don't need one to teach college), but I did take 3 semesters of "Professional aspects of teaching mathematics". These classes were required by all first year graduate students that taught an introductory math course.

19. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 26, 2008

Hats off to you......I will strive to get my PHD as well.

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 27, 2008

Similiar situation with 2 business degrees but have never sub. I'm curious, Lemonhead are you saying that you did 200 days of subbing or observation? I'm asking because I'm thinking of seeing if I can do more than my 20 hours or may be some volunteer activities. Just trying to figure out ways to gain some training/experience.

21. MrsR

MrsR Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

I have my BA in English Education (Spanish minor). I'm certified in English/Lang. Arts.

Good luck, November! Subbing is challenging, yet rewarding! (Just like teaching, I suppose!)

22. NoRehearsalTime

NoRehearsalTime Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

I have a BA in Theatre Performance, which is great as a sub (I can 'act' like I know everything about a subject!). I had almost no teacher training before my first day as a sub, but I think some people just have a natural flair for teaching. I can't wait to get some practical classroom management training, which I'm sure will be a part of the credential program.

23. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

I have an elementary degree!!!

I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education. My teaching license is for grades 1-6. I am still hoping to get an actual teaching job just so I can prove to my mom that I am not too old to get my first time teaching job. Subbing is challenging yet rewarding but I will be so glad if I get the opportunity to have my own room.

Mldouglas

24. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 29, 2008

Well, guess what?!?! As a teacher, you will still get to play a role of sorts. I went to a seminar today where they talked about your performance as a teacher. Basically, the idea is that when you are in the classroom you have your teacher mode on and so therefore everything else that is going on in your life is turn off. It's kind of in the same principle as when people get hired in Disneyworld/land. It's about hiring someone that is willing to play the role of an ---- in this case is an inspiring teacher. The basic point is that no matter what you have going on in your life is about what you are giving to the kids. So if you are having a bad day (personally, professionally) kids will not detect it because you have your acting hat/mode on. It's having your game on--- if you know what I mean. ;)