What type of clothing do you wear when you teach?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by amethyst, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 22, 2014

I wear leggings with a cute top or dresses. I don't wear jeans to work but that's just because I prefer leggings. My style is definitely casual. You'd never catch me wearing a pantsuit, for instance. Not that I would anyway because I think suits are unflattering on most women.

I don't dress up because of my grade level. That's partly why I keep my dress simple. I'm running around and on the floor a lot, getting glue and glitter on everything, etc. So for my grade level it works.

Other female coworkers dress similar to me, no matter what grade level. The male teachers seem to wear whatever lol.

OP, just adjust your outfits based on grade level and atmosphere of the school. I'd suggest that you don't over-dress and wear heavy slacks and a blazer everyday if you work with the younger grades. But that's just me.

Jeans and 1 pair of black pants + five cute tops and you should be set. Just rotate them and it will be un-noticeable. They want you to look neat and nice, but if you present yourself with a positive attitude your clothing will hardly matter. You are there to listen and absorb as much as you can. Don't worry about being "stylish" ;)

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 23, 2014

I've got a recent work schedule change, so I've made it up in my mind that starting today, I'm wearing my nice, work-appropriate jogging/workout outfits & sneakers (& still jewelry & makeup) because I'm heading straight to the gym after work from now on to ensure that I stick to my workouts to lose weight! :D I only go to work 2 days/wk for about 4 hrs & my workplace is so laid back.

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2014

Interesting that California seems to be the least professionally dressed and is ranked so low on so many national achievement scales.

My principal last year, knowing we had no dress code, started the year with a simple question to think about. If someone important was coming to your class, how would you dress? Aren't your kids important?

It's one thing to dress down on Fridays or as the year goes on and familiarity sets in but your dress sets a tone in your classroom. Especially as a student teacher who is likely close in age to the students you want that tone to be one of professionalism. I wish it were true of more seasoned teachers as well.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 23, 2014

I agree. Based on my personal situation these days though, I plan to dress a little differently than I used to. I've dressed up nicely & often better than the other staff throughout my yrs of working in classrooms since '99. This school yr, I'm at this alternative school for the 1st time where everyone's the most casually dressed I've ever seen, so I figure I'll still be dress nicely & casually, but in the type of clothes where I need to run if I have to. I'm not at the safest workplace these days (I made past Sept threads in which I've told about my new job). I have my health goal of what I want to do too, so I want to be able to go straight to the gym from work for once.

5. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

I completely agree.

6. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jan 23, 2014

I have only nice 5 outfits that I rotate through. I wear jeans and a school shirt on Fridays.

I once had someone tell me that teachers should dress professionally, as in dress/skirt and high heels. I told them that as soon as I am paid a professional salary, then I would be able to afford professional clothing and dress like a professional!

7. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

Do we tell our students to act as we want to be perceived, or wait until we're perceived the way we want to be perceived to act in such a manner?

In other words: we make enough money for modest, affordable, professional clothing. Dressing in a less than professional manner to make some statement about compensation is a surefire way to make that plan...well, backfire.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 23, 2014

Quite a generalization on remarkably little data.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2014

There are several charities in NJ that have professional clothing. Community resources are there to help those in need. Once you are doing better, you can pay it forward. You might want to contact them if there is one close in your area.

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2014

Wow. I never knew that professional meant highly paid.

I can buy a skirt, shirt, and heels for the same amount as jeans, a shirt, and sneakers. None may be name brand or high quality, but I could find both sets of items for about the same cost.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2014

I dress casually. I never really dress up for anything. Well, I dress up...but that could still be a pair of nice, dark jeans with a nice top and jewelry.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 23, 2014

Can you site your source? Mainly the part about CA being the least professionally dressed.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 23, 2014

I wear a button down shirt and slacks everyday except on Friday when I wear jeans. Lately I've been wearing argyle sweaters.

I dress nice, but not fancy. When it comes down to it, I'd rather be comfortable, which is why I stopped wearing ties and buttoning up that last button on my shirts. They just strangled me. I'm a much better teacher when I'm not being asphyxiated.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 23, 2014

I wear jeans only on pre-approved days. Otherwise it's dress pants, skirts, and dresses. I do wear a lot of fleece zip-ups in the winter.

15. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

Button down dress shirt, dress pants or chinos, bow tie (yes, I'm a nerd), cardigan sweaters if it's cold.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2014

This.

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2014

Yes, this thread.

18. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jan 23, 2014

I definitely think dress varies by region, my state is generally more on the California side as far as teachers dressing down. Personally, I wear a scrub top and jeans or shorts, but I teach two-year-olds so dress clothes would be utterly impractical. I do make sure my clothes are clean and that I am well-groomed though, at least at the beginning of the day. ;)

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 23, 2014

This is amusing. :lol:

:thumb:

I'm currently trying to imagine myself wearing hosiery and a skirt suit (is THAT what you mean by professional?) sitting on the floor with the kids during math yesterday. Or crouched down next to a desk, sitting on a tiny stool near the ground, conferring with students during writing workshop. :dizzy: I wear dresses, skirts, Dockers, nice tops, and sometimes *GASP* jeans. I'm pretty sure my teaching is just as good on my jeans days as my dress days.

20. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

Oh god. A skirt suit. The stuff of nightmares. :eek:

I agree with you completely. Some outfits are just inappropriate depending on the grade level.

21. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Jan 24, 2014

Keep trolling: the agreement was generally for the second half of the post.

I did think his initial point was interesting, though clearly there's a correlation vs. causation and anecdotal self-selection issue.

22. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 24, 2014

And that's nothing but rhetoric, which is all I see out of you on this issue.

If more formal means you find your audience more important, then aren't you showing the most respect if you dress in white tie? Or have you determined that your kids are only 7/10 on the importance scale?

23. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 25, 2014

I never wear jeans or any skirts that come above my knee. I also never show cleavage. Other wise I'm quasi-business casual. The only time I kind of dress down is when I wear an education t-shirt or a Dr. Seuss/kid friendly shirt. I wear black skinny jeans (they're kkhaki material).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.