What topics will you start with after the break?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

With my geometry classes, we're starting similar triangles-- ratio, proportion, and then getting to Trig. So my geometry kids will be very happy; in about 2 weeks, they're FINALLY going to be able to use calculators in class!!! Of course, that means I'm going to spend a day or two on some of the functions of the calculator.

My Algebra kids are going to be starting with Quadratic Equations. They're pretty good with factoring, so it should be a fairly easy start.

My SAT prep kids will go over any questions they had on the practice test they took just before Christmas.

Thursday of next week is Parent-Student-Teacher conferences after last week's report cards. I had only one failure, and requested to see 6 or 7 D's as well. But I expect to have a lot of the Algebra kids show up, just so the parents can meet me.

I suppose that in the next day or so I should empty out my book bag, shouldn't I???

Monday is "A" day in our cycle, the day when my only free period is lunch. Nothing like hitting the ground running.

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 31, 2010

In math we'll be starting fractions. I've got a new project this year and we'll be making pictures where each piece in the picture is part of the whole. I've also got some new games that I need to laminate in the next day or so.

In history we're doing a short unit on explorers, then moving right on to the missions. I love the Sick Sailor lesson in this unit.

In reading we start Zia. I've been working on PowerPoints for language arts to jazz up those lessons.

In geography we'll continue with the mapping materials we started before break.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

My Freshman will continue with our unit on the High Middle Ages I should be finished with the Unit in 10-12 Class Days. I'll start with King Henry II and finish with the Hundred Years War, a lot of material in 2 weeks. We will end the week with a Quiz on the Centralization of Monarchy and an Essay on the Magna Carta.

I've just started with my AP Gov. Seniors, its only taught 2/3 trimesters so I have a lot of ground to cover. I plan on finishing my first unit on Federalism and the Constitution by Friday so we can have our exam on Monday. Our regular AP Gov. teacher went into early labor, and as I taught regular Honors Government in the past, I took the course.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

math: subtracting across middle zero and a test on addition and subtraction...then full force into multiplication!:dizzy:

Reading:I just posted a thread regarding my thoughts on teaching reading...I really want to re-design my units of study to teach deeper comprehension..I'm thinking of a unit on questioning..

writing: poetry...elevating the quality of what we've written thus far, using more 'show, don't tell' kinds of elements, putting big feelings into small poems...

Science: food chains...the nature guy is coming from our local environmental center to dissect owl pellets with us.

social studies: a look at immigration..thinking of creating a classroom Ellis Island experience.
    :cool:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

My English class will spend the first week finishing up their Picture Book Author Studies (we just ran out of time in December). We're then moving into a 4 week Mystery Unit.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

My school does block scheduling with a fall term and a spring term. When we come back from break we have two weeks before final exams.

In nutrition we'll cover our last nutrient, water, and then get into final exam review.

In my baking class we'll do our last unit which is cakes and cake decorating and then final exam review. And yes, I love the fact that I get to teach an entire unit on cakes :). We actually do quite a bit of reading in this class and it's not as "fluffy" as it probably sounds, but the hands on aspect is definitely the best part.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Oh, MsMar, we could have used you over the past several days! My son is taking a class on nutrition over the break...his text hadn't arrived by the time the online class started so we've been in full nutrition research mode for a few days without the book!:eek:The text arrived yesterday! Hallelujah!

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

Aw, keep me in mind for any future nutrition related questions. It's a class I really enjoy teaching and the students hopefully retain some of the info taught and will apply it to their own lives.

Glad his textbook finally made it.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

There's an amazing amount of science in cake...

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

Yeah, we've thrown around the idea of offering a "science of food" class as part of our curriculum, but for now just talk about the basics like denaturation and physical and chemical changes during the foods classes we currently offer.

I'll never forget that my first year I had an observation during an omelet lab and I was so glad I had fully brushed up on the science of the cooked egg and was able to have quite the conversation with the students before they actually made their omelets.

14. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Dec 31, 2010

I will be starting my unit on the American Revolution (my favorite unit). My students will be working on speeches over historical figures from this time period. They will research, write speeches in first person, and then dress the part when they give the speeches. It is my favorite project of the year, and I still have students who are in now in high school that ask if I still do this.

In reading we will be reading Midnight Rider to go with the American Revolution theme.I usually split the kids into reading groups, but I decided that I would like to have all the kids reading the same thing this time around. I am feeling a little guilty about it, because I like doing small group reading, but I want to change things up a little bit. When we are done with this book, we will go back to guided reading groups.

With my low math group I will be working on polygons with them. We did lines, line segments, perpendicular lines, parallel lines, etc. before break and that was a challenge.

In science we will be working on a Star Unit.

It is going to be a very busy second semester.

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

The first week back my seniors are turning in their Hamlet projects, and we'll be working on rhetorical analysis up until finals the third week of January. Second semester we hit the ground running with 1984!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

I forgot to add that my observation/evaluation is in mid-February. While it's very much business-as-usual, there are a few routines and approaches that I want to get more ingrained and polished.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 31, 2010

I was supposed to start a unit on informational & practical/workplace text. However, we missed 9 days before Christmas due to snow, so I'm going to have to finish the novel that we've been reading. I'm going to scrap the A Christmas Carol activities I'd planned.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

Writing - dealing with some different genres starting with persuasive. One of my favorite genres to teach, because I love to read some of the reasoning behind their writing.

Math - adding and subtracting to 18

Reading - business as usual, I'll continue with the CAFE menu, but probably do some running records.

Grade 4 French - a short unit on New Years, and then moving into the family

Grade 5 French - extended family, maybe starting into food, if there's time before the grade five classes switch in February.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

MsMar, my school is in the same position. We have one last week of regular instruction and then the week of finals.

My English III classes are going to study A Raisin in the Sun, and my English I classes are writing one final essay for me (complete with a thesis and supporting details... lol... yeah them!) :)

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

We will have a week to review, then a week of exams.

21. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Dec 31, 2010

Our first week back will be devoted to the New South (we finished Reconstruction before break). After that it's a variety of themes in the late 19th century: robber barons, unions, immigration, urbanization, etc.

My regular US students are working on a research project, too, while the APs are intensively practicing multiple choice questions and essay writing.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

After exams, we've got a couple more genres to cover, then screenwriting and production. I may mix things up and start the semester with screenwriting, so that my new students can get into the meat of the course immediately.

23. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

This is very helpful for my planning.

First, with both classes, I need to do a review covering we've learned so far. We had a 3 week break.

Both classes: Continue vocabulary journals and add in weekly word-root trees.

And quizzes! My students love me because I often forget to give quizzes.

My 11/12 graders will be finishing The Crucible. The class is a mix of American Lit an Expository Comp. So, we'll do a written analysis applying a theme from The Crucible to McCarthyism, and the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Then we'll do a short research project highlighting American Lit. genres and time periods (I forgot to do this at the start of the unit!!!). I think we'll do some Whitman, then 4 short stories through modern American Lit. I've chosen our novel for the semester: Always Running. Our grand finale will be writing resumes and cover letters.

My 9/10 grade class will continue with non-fiction memoirs by writing their own "I Remember" essay and building background knowledge for the book Night. After Night, we'll move into fictional "coming of age" stories, and perhaps end with Romeo and Juliet. And, I have to work in writing process throughout the semester.

And, I have to plan meaningful "busy work" for our weeks of state testing. I think I'll plan a poetry and silent reading journals for both classes.

24. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2010

I'm a little worried, because our week starts on Tuesday and we go right into the reading lesson for the week. Since we're missing a day, we won't really have any extra time, especially because the story is really difficult. I really would like some time to just get to know the kids and introduce myself, but I don't know if I'll have that time. I should be able to fit it in during writing and math, but it will be hard with my reading kids.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

Religion: We'll do David and Solomon before moving on to the NT
    Math: Multiplication! We covered the meaning of multiplication before the break (and all but one kiddo are completely solid on it), so now we work on strategies for learning the different facts.
    Language: Persuasive Writing
    Reading: Asking "Thick" Questions (We'll start our awesome biography unit in a couple weeks)
    Science: Science Fair, along with beginning our Force and Motion unit
    S.S.: Types of Communities

Also, I'll start teaching K music next week, and I've been toying with the idea of starting recorders with my 4th grade music class (maybe I'm going crazy?!).

26. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2010

Oh, and we'll do more work with reading informational texts, specifically learning how to read our science and s.s. textbooks more effectively. I hadn't done as much of this as I would have liked in the first half of the year, but this group simply wasn't ready for it.

27. goopp

goopp Devotee

Dec 31, 2010

Math: Review long division then move right into polygons

Science: Review sound, quickly do a light unit, then stars, star patterns, moon phases, and solar system

Social Studies: Colonization (and we finally get to have our authentic Thanksgiving feast...just couldn't move that fast to teach it by Thanksgiving)

Reading: My on and above level kids will be reading "The Witch of Blackbird Pond." I haven't decided on a book for my below level kids yet.

Language Arts: Adjectives and adverbs. Persuasive writing.

28. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Dec 31, 2010

Monday:

Freshman Science: Continue studying ionic and covalent bonding. Homework will be page 1 of their study guide for exams.

Chemistry: Will have the vocabulary for their next unit (ironically ionic and covalent bonding) to work on.

Physics: Will receive their passwords for their textbook website as well as instructions on how to take online assessments there (for their midterm). Also I will remind them that their projects are due the following Monday. Then we will get into the work-kinetic energy theorem.

29. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2010

World History - Greece! I love teaching this unit!

American History - Westward Expansion and then into my favorite units on Industrial Revolution, Immigration and reforms!!

6th Writing - Instructional Speeches and we will be hitting prepositions and complex sentences.

7th Writing- Im nnot sure yet..we just finished a mock trial so Im not sure where I want to go with them....I need ideas I have a really great group of kids who can really write well!

8th Grade Reading Intervention-3- 3 week courses that focus on test prep for the state tests.

30. school_o_fish

school_o_fish Rookie

Dec 31, 2010

My chemistry students will be starting with stoichiometry. Well, the first 2 days will be review of molar mass and an introduction to stoichiometry. I am excited!

31. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

History: Greece---especially myths and culture

Reading: plays

Writing: Fiction and creative writing

Math: The wonderful world of geometry and measurement

32. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Dec 31, 2010

Alg 2 will be continuing our work with Conic sections.. We'll be hitting the ground running with Hyperbola's. After that, I'll go back and review ellipses and cirlces. It works best that way because then we discuss the difference in the equations, and how to tell which is which.

Pre Calc will be beginning possibly my favorite unit besides trig.. Series. I love working with them on a topic that most of them haven't seen before. It really show's the kids there is more math besides the stuff they've seen repeated year after year.

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

This is the penultimate week of the course (we're on block scheduling for 10th - 12th grade). This week I'm teaching them basic skills on filling out a job application as well as completing a detailed resume and cover letter. They may not think Hamlet was important, but they can't argue with me about the worth of this unit!

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

I'm jealous!!!!

Since my return from the years I spent as a SAHM, I've been teaching mostly the younger grades.

I would love to hit some material with that kind of meat in it.

And that's one of the reasons I love the circle chapter in geometry. the kids just assume that all there is to circles is area and circumference. They're always so surprised to see how much more there is than what they learned in 6th grade!

35. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 1, 2011

I am starting our Gingerbread Man unit! lol...actually the broader theme is winter and we will be learning about winter weather, polar animals, and winter clothing. We kick it off with the gingerbread man for fun.

It's also assessment time so the first two weeks will be consumed with testing instead of guided reading which always bums me out.

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

Math: review long division and continue problem of the day; begin geometry

Reading: start new books with all groups

Science: begin weather unit

Social Studies: finish historic tribes of Ohio and continue with OH history

Writing: variety

37. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

AP Euro - We begin the Age of Nationalism, Liberalism and Converservtism or as we like to call it the early 1830's of "Ism's"

APUSH - Reconstruction - I am a little behind with these classes.

Regular US History - American Imperialism, Spanish- American War, and Progressive Era

World History - High Middle Ages - I am behind in this class as well.