What to Wear

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Caveman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 2, 2005

All,
    Hoping you can help me out here. I'll soon be interviewing for multiple teacher positions. Being a career Air Force guy I am institutionally nice clothes challenged. For the majority of my adult life (since I was 17) my work clothes have been a no brainer (uniforms) and most of my "come dressed up" functions were military (so dress uniforms worked). Having recently figured out that blue jeans, t shirts, running shoes, flip flops, shorts and tank tops (the extent of my non-uniform wardrobe) will not do out in the real world, I began to remedy the situation and gear up for the real world. In my mind, dockers a button down shirt with a tie and dress shoes will be my everyday ensemble. Is this OK? If I show up for an interview in a full up suit and tie is that overkill? I know that an earring and unkempt face hair is probably a bad idea for the interview but am I OK for that stuff after I get the job? If the last question shocked you I apologize but for the last quarter century I've been told how long to keep my hair (back when I still had it) and specifications for face hair and prohibitions on earrings so I'm kinda like a catholic school girl getting ready to go away to college AT CHICO STATE! Besides, I'm working towards the best dressed hippy English teacher award. Thanks much for your advice and assistance

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 3, 2005

Ha ha. Seriously, it depends on the culture of the school you will be in. I would go shaven and conservative for the interview and check out the environment. Ask if they have a dress code for teachers. I don't think many male teachers wear ties every day but for the interview that would be appropriate. Dockers, golf shirts, cotton shirts of any kind ( our newest teacher wears Hawaiian shirts since he just moved to warm weather from up north), and deck shoes or something comfortable other than sneakers all would work. Good luck. Hope you find a school that you fit well with!

4. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 3, 2005

So you think a suit is probably over kill for the interview then? Understand that if I have any face hair for the interview it will be neatly trimmed (military style). Where are you in Florida? I plan on teaching in the New Port Richey area of Florida. Leaving Texas the end of May and could not be happier

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 3, 2005

I am in south Florida (West Palm). I think that a sport coat and slacks would be better than a suit. It is more approachable and friendly. What grade or grades will you teach?

6. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 3, 2005

I'll be teaching High School. Pardon my stupidity but a sport coat is ...the coat to a suit but with non matching pants???? Maybe a brown suit jacket with some khakis or something and no tie. Now let me really date myself, kinda like a leisure suit but a little fancier right?

7. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Apr 3, 2005

A sport jacket is like a suit jacket, but usually made of a more casual material than most suits. I would recommend one for the interview, but you will probably not need it for actual teaching. Any men's department store person should be able to help you find something appropriate and reasonably priced.

As far as the dress code once you are teaching goes...it is all very relative to your area but also to you individual principal. I am also in South Florida and I do find that we are a bit less conservative than it was up in NY. My principal is pretty understanding and I am able to go in jeans and a t-shirt on Fridays, jeans and a dressier shirt another day, and even wear flip-flops. The trick is to not abuse the policy. I dress "down" a little one or two days M - Th and then I can REALLY be comfortable on casual Fridays. If I did jeans and T-shirts every day of the week, I think it would trigger a reaction. ( I also teach in an elementary school and I would guess that highschool would be even less restrictive. )

Remove the earring and shave for the interview, but I would hope that if you find a school who accepts you for who you are, there won't be a problem with it later. The trick is to be sure you represent yourself enough during the interview to show your true personality and to make sure that the school you choose to work in will appreciate you for your individuality.

Good luck! :)