What to Wear?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jacqui, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Rookie

Nov 17, 2008

I'm an ECE student at the University of Georgia, and lately I've been trying to start my "teacher wardrobe" as I have the money to shop, etc. I'd like to teach first grade, but may possibly teach second or kindergarten, depending on job openings after I graduate. What kind of clothes are appropriate? I've never been great at getting dressed: I'm a tee-shirt and jeans kinda girl. Though I love the professional look, I'm not sure if I'd be over-dressed in a first grade classroom rocking a power suit from NY and Co. So what kinds of clothes do you suggest I buy for the lower elementary age??

Also as a side-note. I'm 5'5" and adore flats... but are pumps okay on occasion for such a young classroom, or will I want to stick to my flats to be more on their level?

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Nov 17, 2008

I wear flat shoes.

I also wear comfortable clothes. In the fall/winter, I like cordoroys, dress pants, or skirts, with plain old cotton shirts.

boring, simple and washable!

4. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Nov 17, 2008

I teach 2nd grade and have a pretty eclectic mix of looks. I like tailored jackets because you can wear them with just about anything and they dress it up. I like to wear long, flowy skirts with sweaters, but I also like to wear nice slacks with a simple button up shirt. On Fridays when we can "dress down" I will wear one of my blazers with a simple shell with nice jeans and pumps (low heel). It really is going to depend on your sense of style.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 17, 2008

I wear khakis or dress pants every day with a dress shirt/vest combo or a sweater. I have many sweaters I wear over nice dress shirts or long sleeve shirts. I wear flats most of the time, but more out of necessity (I am tall and can't find pants long enough).

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 17, 2008

I wear courderoys (sp?), khaki colored dress pants, or dark dress pants and then obviously dress shirts or shirts with goose down vests to stay warm. Maybe volunteer at some schools to see what other teachers are wearing.

7. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 17, 2008

I teach first grade, and I regularly wear heels, dress pants and a variety of shirts (sweaters, collared shirts, etc.). I do love casual Fridays (nice jeans, nice top, heels or boots) but I also like getting dressed up the rest of the week. I do lots of walking around, arts and crafts, and sitting/working on the floor with my students.

The only thing I don't wear often is skirts. I'm personally not extremely comfortable with them, and I worry I'd forget to sit properly or something. :) Better to be safe than sorry (for me at least!)

There is a teacher at my school who wore jeans, flip flops, and t-shirts the last couple years. She changed to dressing much more professionally this year, but I always wondered what kind of impression that made on parents and administration. (Especially because pretty much no one else wears jeans at my school.) It sounds like you are comfortable in jeans and t-shirts, but I wouldn't recommend it unless everyone else at your school dresses like that and it is the norm. And in that case, you already have jeans and t-shirts so you should still try buying nicer clothes to have in your wardrobe. :)

8. Prof. Mat

Prof. Mat Rookie

Nov 17, 2008

well my assistant teacher wears heels and boot sometimes the kids have a greater respect for her because she has great style

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2008

I wear cordoroys, slacks, and mildly dressy shirts most of the time. I also wear plain cotton shirts too. I wear flat shoes because I stand so much.

10. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Nov 18, 2008

Keep in mind that you will be crawling around on the floor with them! I teach third grade and never wear skirts because I am constantly on the floor with my students (group time, small groups, book clubs, math, etc.). But I do enjoy wearing heels!

11. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Nov 18, 2008

I would look at what other teachers around you wear. However, the things that I wear constantly are slacks and button up shirts of any kind. I also wear non button up shirts that are dressy. I mostly wear flats just because a day in pumps would make my feet scream.