What to wear?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cdowdell, Apr 27, 2007.

1. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Apr 27, 2007

Also wondering what to wear to an interview?...full suit and jacket?...or dress pants and a nice sweater or something?...what is most appropriate?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2007

I've always worn a suit.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2007

Suit or dress is nice for women.

Suit for men.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2007

Last spring I went on an interview, my first (on the receiving end anyway) in about 20 years.

There I was in my suit and sheer blouse. I couldn't find a camisole, but didn't worry since I never take off my jacket at an interview.

How was I to know that it was their last day of school, and I was invited to join the faculty at their end of the year picnic?? There the teachers were, in shorts and sneakers. I'm in my suit, completely refusing to even take off the jacket, since the blouse was close to see-through.

I'm kind of glad I didn't take their offer; I can only imagine what the other teachers thought of me.

6. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

I believe that the most professional colors to wear on an interview are Navy blue or light grey. I prefer Navy and I always wear a dress or skirt (knee length) and a suit jacket top, heels and hose of course. You can't go wrong;)

Best of luck to you!

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 27, 2007

I'm thinking since you will also be teaching a lesson to kinder kiddos, that you might feel more comfortable in a suit with pants rather than a skirt. That way you could take your jacket off during your lesson and you don't need to be quite as worried as to how you are sitting during the lesson. (someone had mentioned big books and I am assuming you would be on a chair or the floor)

In any event, I would wear a suit (with skirt or pants) and I would make sure you are comfortable.

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Apr 27, 2007

I would wear a suit also, but for a demo lesson with young ones I'd go with the pants.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 28, 2007

I have a suit that I wear... it's kinda a gray checked. I really like it.

But, it doesn't feel like ME. I have a pair of black dress pants that I LOVE and found a blazer jacker from the same company that matches the style, also black. It's designed to be a 3/4 length jacket, and I really like it for spring/summer. I'm more comfortable in it. So that's what I'm gonig to wear for my interview on Tuesday. :)

10. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Apr 28, 2007

T think that "appropriate" kind of depends on the level you are interviewing for. I would think that a lower elementary would be fine with nice pants and top, while upper middle or high school would be expected to have more of a suit-look... though that is just my opinion. I don't know if that is what is really expected.

I have nice black slacks and a black jacket that goes well with it, and I wear a nice shirt underneath. Right now, it's a black and white striped shirt, because it fits. Before I was pregnant, I wore similar things: black slacks, black jacket, but the shirt under the jacket was usually a nice bright color.
    Oh, and comfortable heels.

Whatever you decide to wear, make sure you look professional, and that you are comfortable. :) Good luck!

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Apr 28, 2007

I always wear a black skirt suit, though what goes under the jacket varies from a plain white blouse (for dealing with admin. only) to a colorful top (for the "working" interview).

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2007

It's funny. Members of the religious order for whom I work all wear black suits.

So that's the ONLY color I never look at for suits. Just about anything else is a possibility for me though.

I don't even know why; they certainly wouldn't care.

13. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Apr 28, 2007

At the job fair I attended today I was a bit taken back by some of the outfits some women had chosen to wear. Short skirts with no pantyhose, low cut blouses and ridiculously high heels...very unprofessional, well at least in a teacher related sense. :p

Black slacks/skirts with nice shirts and jackets (many people didn't wear jackets here including me...too hot right now here!) seemed to rule the day though.

14. fort worth gal

fort worth gal Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

suit?

I have my first interview on Monday. I went today to try to find a suit to wear and just couldn't find much to choose from. I guess it's just to hot in Texas for them to sell many womens suit jackets! I ended up getting a nice pair of black slacks, a blue pinstriped long sleeve button up shirt and a nice pair of (closed toed) black heels. wish me luck! :)

15. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Apr 28, 2007

That's what I wore today, dress slacks, a nice blouse and closed toed heels...it's too warm here in Orlando to try and bear wearing a jacket. Your outfit sounds perfect! Good luck to you...let us know how it goes!!!! :)

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 28, 2007

Last summer I ended up carrying the jacket that went with the suit. It was to hot! I am not sure what I will wear this summer. Either the suit or a nice button up blouse with a black skirt. Probably go with the suit.