What to wear

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachMathNJ, Mar 11, 2014.

1. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Mar 11, 2014

I have an interview scheduled for next week for an elementary teaching position. I have a black pant suit and it just isn't me. I don't feel comfortable at all wearing it. I'm wondering if I could wear a cardigan and black or gray pants with black heels instead?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2014

What color cardi? Maybe neutral with a pop of color knit top underneath? Or reverse that...black or gray shell and bright cardi...

4. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Mar 11, 2014

I was thinking something neutral. I'm typically a black, gray, white person to begin with!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2014

I think then a colorful scarf or chunky necklace, great bag...

Good luck on the interview!

6. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Mar 11, 2014

Thanks for your help!

7. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Mar 12, 2014

You should always wear a suit for an interview. Your interview is about you making a great first impression to your principal and future colleagues; it says that you are a professional person and take your job seriously. You can be comfortable once you land the job. I would wear a suit to the interview.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2014

The northeast does tend to be more conservative in such matters than other areas of the country, but one need not exclusively wear suits in even the NY/NJ metro area. Clean and classic slacks or skirt with blazer or cardigan are professional looks. Neutrals with a spot of color in a tie, scarf, top or accessories are a good alternative to a suit.:|

9. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

To become more comfortable in wearing the suit. Wear the suit.

Suit Up! and do some mundane things like grocery shopping. Go to your favorite cheap (fast food) restaurant and just to have the suit meld to you.

Do not buy gas, because it will be that one time . . .

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2014

I agree with czacza. I've seen people who look more confident in clothing like you are referring to than in suits. As long as you look professional and can be confident, I say go with that outfit. I think it's fine. :)

Good luck on the interview! My district has a few long term sub opportunities in elem going on. PM me if you want details ;)

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2014

I only have 1 suit, and most interviews go 3-4 rounds. I've gotten creative.
    My go-to for last season was:
    Screening interview- Most of the time charcoal dress pants, yellow shirt, white cardigan.
    1st formal interview- Suit. Always.
    2nd formal interview- if it was with different people, I'd return to the suit. If not, I'd return to a cardigan/dress pant combo.
    Demo lesson- dress pants, dressy top. Most of these happened in the summer in buildings with no air conditioning. I chose the coolest outfit that was professional.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2014

Your plan sounds good. I wore a cardigan to my interview. And for what it's worth, I've never owned a suit, I've never been on a interview committee and interviewed anyone wearing a suit, and I've never seen a fellow interviewee wearing a suit.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 25, 2014

I would wear what you feel most comfortable in as long as it is professional. For my current job, interviews were scheduled in the morning, and I only took a half day off work. I wore a dressy skirt and top instead if a suit since I was headed straight to my classroom after the interview.

14. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Mar 26, 2014

I wore a black skirt, black pumps and a paisley blouse to my interview last week at the career fair. I saw other people in suits and dressed and pants and jackets with black being the main color.
    It looked like a funeral!

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2014

I think in most cases you can't go wrong in a suit, so if in doubt, wear a suit, it's better to be overdressed for an interview, than underdressed.
    But if you feel very uncomfortable (for personal reasons, or it's 90 F outside, or it's just a more laid back environment), then you should definitely wear whatever you think will be professional and comfortable.

I've been on an interview where I wore a suit, and it was too much (for a TA position, I got the job), and I could have dressed down a little, but since I didn't know, I went with the suit.
    Later on at that same charter school I applied for an independent study teacher (the first teaching job I applied for) and I didn't wear a suit. I wore heels, dress pants and a dress shirt. I saw many applicants dressed up (it seemed like way dressed up), and it made me feel like I was underdressed. Btw, I didn't get the job, the interview seemed rushed, it was about 10 minutes, but I know if had nothing to do with how I dressed :)

So go with how you feel.