What to wear?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missml, Aug 5, 2013.

1. missml

missml Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

What should I wear to an interview that is requiring me to teach a demo lesson to students? Typically I wear a suit to interviews, but I don't think I will feel comfortable teaching my lesson in a suit. Would a dress or skirt and nice blouse be sufficient, or do I still need to wear a suit?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

A dress or skirt are totally appropriate!:thumb:

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

Go as dressy as you are comfortable teaching in.
    For me, it is usually dress pants, wedges, and a really dressy top.

5. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Definitely wear something that you will be comfortable in moving around in (reaching up, bending over, etc). I would probably wear dress pants, flats, and a fancy top. Good luck with the demo lesson!

6. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Wear the suit. Look professional. You might not look like this every day when you are teaching, but you need to look sharp when you interview.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

I am a suit person, but I think a dress, skirt, or slacks is very appropriate for a teaching demo.

8. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I was told a long time ago never to wear a tie to an interview to teach at a NYC public school. "If you do, they'll think you don't know what you're getting yourself into."

I think this is changing, but I still adhere to it. When I was hired last fall, I didn't wear a tie. I felt comfortable because the principal who interviewed me was wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt.

Regarding the demo lesson, I think a bit better dressed than you plan to dress when you teach will be just fine.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

Can you pick an outfit that is easily convertible? Like, black pants, a top that is long enough in the back to not ride up, and a black jacket. Then when you do your lesson, you can take the jacket off and teach, then put it back on and interview. You could wear nice flats with it so you're easily able to move around. You want to look comfortable in the room, yet professional.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

What grade level? An elementary or preschool teacher would look quite out of place teaching in a suit. Actually, you would look borderline ridiculous. I agree with the others: dress pants and dressy top are appropriate for virtually any demo lesson!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

There are plenty of women's suits that are appropriate for school settings. Nothing ever wrong with presenting a polished and professional appearance. At my district, demos are often followed by an interview with Supe. Wearing a suit and then taking off jacket for demo could work...( as kcjo suggested above)...that way you'd have the jacket if you want for any paperwork/further conversations with admin in office. Again, I think a dress or skirt are also great choices, as are dress pants and great top....I'm just so not looking forward to putting pants back on...the thought makes me sweat! :lol:

12. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

What about dress pants, a cute top and different colored blazer? It's still suit-y, but not a traditional suit. I love blazers and teach in them all the time.

Dress or skirt are also great...you could throw a blazer over the dress or with skirt for the interview then teach without it.

Did I mention that I love blazers? hahaha