What to wear?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Milsey, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

This year I have no idea what to wear to interviews. I have a great body, I workout 4 times a week, swim, play tennis. I want to show it off!

However, my VP took me aside one day last year and said there were complaints about my attire. I was flabbergasted.
    Nothing is showing. Yes, my clothing is tight but I wanted to show off my body and be an inspiration to students, many of whom are overweight. Being a teacher is like being on TV. Everyone is looking at me. I HAVE to look good.

I even overhead one of my students say, "That's my teacher. I wish I had a body like that!" That made me feel awesome when I was having a bad day with disrespectful students.

I lectured my students on the benefits of healthy eating whenever I found candy wrappers or sodas on the floor. I had students who misbehaved do push-ups rather than sit in the hallway.

Yes, I probably made some self-concious, but probably saved some lives too. :cool:

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

WOW ~ push-ups?? :dizzy: Do you know if all your students are cleared to do push-ups? Because my daughter during her freshman and sophomore years looked like a very healthly teenager but because of a very serious brain malaformation was on a strict no physical activity policy. Had you required her to do push-ups as a consquences, she could have been put into a very serious medical emergency. Even so, as a parent, I would have been livid if my child was made to do push-ups in class.

Wow ~ you feel awesome when an 8th grader admires your body :dizzy:

and WOW ~ who exactly do you want to show your body off too, 8th graders :dizzy:

If you VP didn't clarify what was wrong with your clothing and you can't figure it out, I would suggest you get in contact with your VP again for futher clarification ~ too tight, too short, too revealing. Many of those things are very subjective and what you might see as just tight enough to show off your work at the gym, someone else might see as too revealing.

4. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

WOW!! You want to show off your body to your students?? WOW---

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 31, 2011

School is not the place to "show off" your body.

6. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: :yeahthat: :dizzy::dizzy:

7. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

You can inspire students to live healthy without wearing tight clothing. I lost 50lbs over the school year but I would never want to show off my body to students.

Try looking at what the other teachers wearmfor examples.

8. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 31, 2011

Is this post a joke?

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

Wow. I guess I could start this phrase with the whole "no offense", but instead I'll just be blunt: I'm rather disgusted.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

I am in the process of losing weight and so far have lost 25lbs! I feel so much better about the clothes I wear now but I still would never wear tight clothes to teach in. I have some "form fitting" sweaters and things but they are still very modest and would never be called tight. I couldn't imagine wanting to show off my body to my students! Actually I don't want my students thinking about my body at all, I'd rather they were thinking about Shakespeare! :lol:

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

School is not the place to show off your body to earn admiration. Period. But especially at the middle school level.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

Sorry, still fuming a bit here. You acknowledge that your behavior and attitude probably caused some students to be self-conscious but it's still :cool: with you?

You're looking for a job why???

13. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Jul 31, 2011

If showing off your "awesome body" is what you want, there are far more lucrative jobs. I'll let you use your imagination.
    Based on this, your attitude certainly isn't suited for teaching.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

I dress in cute clothes, but nothing to "show off" my body. Not baggy or anything frumpy, but not super tight. Very modest. I try to keep my students focused on the content, not my body.

We are not allowed to assign our students physical activity when they misbehave. For that matter, we are not allowed to send kids out in the hall either.

I do inspire my students to be healthy. I've lost 50 pounds, and the students did notice while I was losing. They noticed my frappuccino turn into a small fat free latte. They noticed I was up and moving around more. I had a student yell out to me across the crowd at midnight Harry Potter this summer, "Mrs. ____________, look at you, you're so skinny!" I told him he was my new favorite (I won't even teach him next year.) Several students asked me how I was losing the weight, and I told them.

15. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I want my students to admire me for my character, values, and devotion to learning.

I really don't care what they think of my physical appearance.

16. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Your job is to look like a professional. Wearing "tight" clothing that shows off your body is not professional!

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

This post has to be a joke... or a troublemaker.

18. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

I agree. Isn't this the Milsey that posted a thread about showing R rated movies to middle school students? It has to be made up!

19. History79

History79 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

This is what I meant about negativity. This person asked a serious question because they want to do the right thing and you are just pummling them.

20. Joxepa

Joxepa Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

:yeahthat:

This is really all I can add.

21. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 31, 2011

Don't feed the trolls.

22. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

I am shocked and amazed, and doubtful about the truth in this. But, assuming this is serious, here is what I think:

You cannot wear tight, short, or body hugging clothing. You cannot show cleavage. You cannot give off any kind of sexy appearance. You cannot give the students the idea that you like their attention based on your body. This is a set up for a Mary Kay LaTournou incident!!!

Teaching is NOT like being on tv. If you want to be on tv, audition for a reality show.

A suitable outfit for an interview:

-A straight, business skirt that reaches your knees
    -A blouse that is not clinging to your skin. It should be tucked in and have some give. It should be buttoned above the line of your cleavage.
    -You should wear hose and closed toe shoes that are not that high. (No more than 2 inches at the most!)

Another idea:

- Wide leg slacks
    - A sweater set, blouse, or cute top that is not revealing

A third idea:

- A dress that reaches your knees
    - boots that have a relatively short heel, or shoes with a relatively short heel

If principals tell you that your clothing is inappropriate, you need to make some changes.

Here are some ideas for promoting healthy living:

Start a walking club or running club at lunch (walking is probably better so all kids are able to participate)

Give extra credit for researching a report about health or a health topic

Do a unit on healthy living in your class

Drink water in front of the kids

Stop punishing kids with exercise, instead, do brain breaks with yoga when kids need redirection. Do it with the whole class. A simple Salute to the Sun is a great way to get everyone moving, settled down and ready to learn.

During parties, instead of bringing in junk food, let the kids make shish-kabobs with fruit, which is fun to do, and healthy.

23. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2011

what???? You cannot be serious!!!! I can see why you are looking for another job. You sound VERY, VERY immature! It made you feel good that a student liked your body! I have to agree - I'm disgusted..... I hope your not teaching my 8th grader.

24. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 31, 2011

If anything, I find this amusing. OP cannot be for real!

I smell a troll.....or two.

Just sayin'

25. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2011

I really hope this is someone playing a silly game. If not, there is one more dangerous person out there with a teaching degree!

26. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Hm, I don't know. If you look through her other posts, most of them aren't 'trollish'.

Maybe someone hacked into her account. Ex-boyfriend? Child? I sure hope an adult would know that provocative styles aren't appropriate for the classroom.

27. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

It's called tough-love. If this OP is for real, and had already been warned by her administrator, then she needs it.

28. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2011

Yes, this behavior should not be supported. OP needs to understand what the problem is (apparently staff at last school also saw it as a problem). She is in denial if she doesn't see a problem.

Sometimes the truth hurts!

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2011

If you had a VP and students last year, why are you interviewing? Changing schools?

30. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 31, 2011

She wants to show her hot body in tight clothes and let her students watch rated R movies.

OP, this is serious stuff. Look into your district for a refresher ethics course. Take a step back and look at your successful peers. How do they dress? There is no need to wear bluebird sweaters at Christmas - you can still be stylish, but it needs to be kept appropriate. Think church. Or meeting the boyfriend's parents for the first time.

Good luck.

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

My first thought was also 'is this a joke??'.

The only time I've ever considered my appearance in respects to students is when I decided not to wear heavy make-up to school. I would only wear light mascara and some lip gloss. I didn't want my fifth grade girls to think they needed to wear a lot of make-up to feel attractive.

32. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

While the OP obviously crossed the line in comments that were made it brings up a more legitimate question to mind.
    What is the line between trying to look good/attractive at work (in the eyes of coworkers, obviously not students) and being too provocative (only word I could think of for it)?

33. kme93

kme93 Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I think the OP couldn't have been serious, but I'll bite to this.

I'm young and have acne scars, so I always do full makeup. I am not comfortable in a professional setting without it.

I never wear tight dress pants or short skirts anyway, so I don't even have any in my closet. Tops are different. I usually wear a tank top under everything. When I was a kid, my mom always told us that "If you have to ask, it is." Which meant if you have to ask if it's too short, too tight, too see through, etc then it probably is.

One of my pet peeves (for men or women) is when you can see people's "undergarmets" (or tell what kind people are wearing). If I can tell that you're wearing a lacy bra, you made the wrong bra choice. Guys, if I can see through your shirt and see you're wearing a wife beater, you need to make a better choice (light shirt = full shirt udershirt, dark shirt = wife beater or full undershirt). For everyone, I should NEVER be able to see your underwear when you bend over! **Steps off soapbox**

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2011

You sound like a person who's starved for attention. There's a time & place to wear tight clothing & on the job at a school isn't one of them. It's not the time to strut around thinking you're the hottest thing on two feet. If you must wear something tight, do it very rarely & balance it out w/ another loose garment. Having the rep as the "hot" or "sexy" teacher on campus isn't a good thing. I like tight clothing too, but save that to wear on your free time.

35. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

WOW. This is just... wow :dizzy:

The only person I want admiring my body is my boyfriend... not my pubescent students. That is just icky and disgusting and gross all rolled into one.

I want my students to feel good about themselves, of course. And I am an example. So I wear clean, ironed, professional clothing which is NOT skin tight, short, or revealing in any way, shape, or form. I don't want them to get a dress code for their pants being skin tight and them saying, "But Ms. Chebrutta's pants are that tight!"

I eat healthy snacks in class and encourage them to do the same. I drink tea or water in front of them. I encourage them to go outside and play BEFORE they settle down to do their homework.

School is not a place to "show off" your physical assets. Keep it covered and concentrate on teaching.

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2011

Milsey...you seem to be somewhat off the mark in your ideas of what choices for professional educators are appropriate. You have shared that you showed 'R' rated movies to a class, wear tight clothing, make kids do pushups and then wonder why you get unsatisfactory observations from admin and now have no job. You might be well served to sit down with a career counselor (you could check at your college) and hash through what it really means to be a professional.:2cents:

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2011

As someone who has battled weight issues for most of my life, I don't get inspiration from someone who is saying, "Look at my great body; don't you wish you could look like me?"

38. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I think Milsey's goal was to provoke our values.

She hasn't been back to this thread since.

Seems, by the looks of these four pages, she's succeeding. ;)

39. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

It's an interesting topic though. I'm young and fit, and I've struggled to look "work appropriate." Not because I want to wear tight clothes and show off my body, just because things look differently on me than they might a not so fit middle aged person. I've also been *blessed* (not) with a larger behind, which makes slacks a challenge too.

It can honestly be frustrating, because I DO NOT want to look "hot," but I know kids around campus say things (high school - other kids and teachers have given me the reports, ugh). I wear clothes that are as loose fitting and "old" as possible, and I constantly feel frumpy.

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

I know the feeling. One day another teacher and I had on the same outfit, from the same stores, and it looked so different on both of us. I sometimes struggle with finding the balance of cute, age-appropriate and not too sexy for school. I loved it a few years ago when everything was loose and flowy. Now everything it tight again, and low cut, and it looks like I'll be sweating with tank tops on under all my shirts again this year! Pants are also an issue for me. I don't want the "mom" pants, but to get them to fit at my waist, they are always a little bit tighter than I'd like the through the rear.

41. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 1, 2011

I have to buy my work pants one size big, and then they're always too big in the waist. Wide leg trousers are usually better, but I can't always find them.

I feel like I do a good job covering up, but I'm SO limited on what I can wear!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.