What to wear for a teaching job interview if you are a guy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, Jul 24, 2017.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

Suite and tie? Just a shirt and tie? Something else?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2017

You can never go wrong with a suit and tie. If called in for additional interviews, you might want to ask what attire would be the best choice, since many schools dress down over the summer. The first interview is your absolute first chance to impress - choose the suit.

UpperMidwest, bella84 and SageScience like this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2017

Yes, wear a suit.

UpperMidwest and bella84 like this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 24, 2017

Always wear a suit. There are only two occasions during which I think it's okay to skip the suit: when you are teaching a demo lesson (in which case, you should wear the suit but take the jacket off while teaching - make sure you have a good shirt on underneath the jacket) and when you are told by the person offering you the interview that a suit isn't necessary (which I've never heard of happening, but it's not impossible).

UpperMidwest likes this.
  6. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 24, 2017

The "lowest" I ever went in terms of dress was a shirt and tie with dress pants, without the jacket. I only did that if I knew the culture of the school was more casual, or if it was brutally hot (I interviewed a Chicago public school with no AC once). Otherwise, it was always a full suit.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 24, 2017

In a word: suit.

In more words: Please do yourself a favor and wear a suit. Your competition will be wearing them.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2017

Or they won't be your competition!

ready2learn likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 27, 2017

MetalTeacher likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    UpperMidwest likes this.
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2017

Wear a suit and a tie. Look really good. I have a P who really doesn't care much about dress code during the school year, but I can tell you even she cares when it is interview time.

It is brutally hot in Arizona and my interviews have been when the temperatures are HOT! Still wear a suit coat.

UpperMidwest and Leaborb192 like this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    readingrules12 and UpperMidwest like this.
  13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2017

I'm kind of over the whole suit thing. I interviewed at four schools last year wearing a button up shirt and slacks, and was offered a job at three of them. Granted, they knew I was coming directly from working with a high-need population where wearing a suit wouldn't have been remotely feasible for teaching, but my new view is that until I'm ready to go into administration, I have no use for a suit coat or tie.

UpperMidwest and Bunnie like this.
  14. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 28, 2017

Wow, after reading this thread I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I have never worn a full suit to an interview. I always make sure to look professional with a shirt and tie, but I've never done the full suit. I've been pretty successful at interviews too. Actually, the most recent interview I had (which resulted in an offer) ended with the team of teachers jokingly asking me if I'd be willing to dress down a little more once school starts, because it was way too hot for a shirt and tie!

Obviously it's different everywhere you go!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    UpperMidwest likes this.
  15. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 28, 2017

Although I am a female I agree I think a suit is too much. Teachers don't actually wear suits in the classroom, why wear one to the interview? I too fell into thinking a suit would help my chances at interviewing when I first started out looking for jobs. It didn't make a difference. 10 years later, I interviewed this year all in dresses. I actually do not own dress pants or a suit. I teach in jeans and nice shirts. I chose dresses because most interviews were before or after school and I didn't want admin catching on that I was interviewing and it worked out fine for me. I had even kept my one pair of flats in my bag to change in and out of because I don't even wear "shoes" to work. It's sneakers, boots or flip flops given the season. There's no dress code in my public school system.

Business casual is totally fine for an interview.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 28, 2017

Please wear a suit. If possible, make sure it fits well. Not to turn this into a style forum, but fit matters. You really have to find brands and cuts that fit you correctly in the shoulders. For me it's either HartSchaffner Marx (can get them on sale $429 from $600+) or Walmart brand ($70). Cost doesn't matter at all with fit.

I have interviewed people. Not wearing a suit would catch me off guard.

17. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 28, 2017

As a man, I couldn't disagree more. In addition, some of us still do wear suits in the classroom (although I may start off with the jacket and take it off at some point, since I think the long sleeve restricts my movement). IMHO, there is no choice in an interview except to wear your best. Some things in life still count. If I were hiring, all else being equal, the suit wearer would stand out to me. As others posted, then you can adjust to the typical wardrobe found in your school.

18. testedekxp

testedekxp New Member

Nov 7, 2022

I think the suite is a great variant for such an occasion. Finding good clothes for an interview may be challenging, but it's half of success. The first impression is important, especially when discussing a job interview, so you must look great. You must choose a formal business dress code for such an event because it's a standard for interviews and office work. Please don't wear something funny or weird like not matching socks or a suit with a print. Even if you are a teacher, you must dress up correctly for an interview to get this job. I can advise you to look for something online because it's cheaper. Find more info about the site where I order suits; I think you'll find something great there.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022