What to watch on Netflix?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2014

Can you all suggest any good shows I should try on Netflix? So far I've watched all of:

1. The Office
    2. Parks and Recreation
    3. Haven
    4. The Gates
    5. Alphas
    6. Hemlock Grove :wub:
    7. 30 Rock :wub:
    8. Deadly Women
    9. Too Cute
    10. Stalked!
    11. Fairytail (anime series) :wub:

I tried Breaking Bad but couldn't get into it. I've heard a lot of Orange is the New Black, but, I keep putting off watching it because I don't want to be dissapointed like I was with Breaking Bad.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2014

I've watched a lot of the series you have on netflix. I've also really liked:
    Friday Night Lights- one of my favorite series!
    Arrested Development- absolutely loved it (the "real" old seasons, not the one produced by netflix), but I think you have to have a certain sense of humor
    Orange is the New Black- I like it because it's different

I'm currently watching Community on Hulu Plus, but I'm almost finished. I'm looking for a new netflix series as well!

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2014

I didn't know FNL was a series, i thought it was just a movie. I'll have to check that out. I completely forgot about Arrested Development. How would you describe the humor? Is it kind of dry and subtle like the Office (especially during Season 1)?

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 1, 2014

Orange is the New Black
    Crossing Jordan
    Lie to Me
    House
    Grey's Anatomy
    Weeds

Not sure if they're all still up but I've watched them all on there.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2014

FNL is four seasons I believe...I don't even like sports and it was one of my favorite series of all time, lol. AD is hard to describe... maybe a mix of quirky/sarcastic/deadpan? The office, 30 rock, and parks and rec have some of the same elements, but I would say all three of those shows have more "traditional" storylines than AD. I was hooked after a couple of episodes, so give it a try and see if you like it!

7. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Aug 1, 2014

Pretty Little Liars. Hands down.

8. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 1, 2014

ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I binge-watched this show in like three days, which is disgusting lol

The characters are great and it's a well-written show. I just read the book the show was based off of, and that was good too!

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2014

No judgement! That's how I watched Hemlock Grove. I was really upset because I looked at the episode list wrong and thought season 2 had twelve episodes, so I was watching like crazy. Then I got to episode nine and realized there was only one more left. I was crushed. :(

Everyone else:
    These are all great suggestions! I'm going to watch an episode of OITNB tonight then try some of the others later this month before school starts. :thumb:

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2014

I was going to say OITNB, too!

11. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Aug 1, 2014

I got through season 2 in half a day. I turned off my phone and watched them all back to back. It was shameful lol.

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 1, 2014

I am just about to start Scandal. I also just heard of a dark comedy series with Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe called A Young Doctor'sNotebook that looks good

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 1, 2014

I watched part of it. It was pretty good. Weird seeing him in another role though. I should finish it...

14. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 1, 2014

I've seen an episode or two of Scandal, and without even knowing what was really going on, I was into it. That's next on my list to binge-watch. :) Have to get my binges over before school starts again!

15. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 1, 2014

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! :haha:

16. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 1, 2014

Which one? I guess both actors are primarily known for one main role

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 1, 2014

I'm watching OITNB right now but have watched many of the others mentioned. I loved Hemlock Grove and can't believe I waited so long for season 2 then finished watching it in 2 days LOL Bitten is another good one. I will have to look back and see if there's any more i can think of.

18. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 1, 2014

What is Hemlock Grove about? I keep hearing that name.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 1, 2014

The characters are werewolves and vampires but it's a good story. Not as cheesy as Twilight. More action (I think).

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2014

I second Pretty Little Liars!

Mistresses
    Switched at Birth
    Rizzoli & Isles
    Chasing Life
    The Mentalist
    Murder in the First

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 2, 2014

OITNB is my obsession. Love it!

I would get into Scandal now, while it's young. It's very good. But def start at the beginning or you won't have a clue what is going on.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2014

I watched the first 2 episodes of Scandal when it first started but then forgot about it. I'll have to go back sometime.

23. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2014

We just started It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. We also loved The League - two great comedies!

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

Oops didn't realize the other guy was. I'd never heard of him. I'm obsessed with Harry Potter, so I kept thinking of Daniel Radcliffe that way. It actually fit at times since he's still sarcastic.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2014

I also really liked House of Cards.

26. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 2, 2014

Hemlock Grove is really good and surprisingly funny at times. I love the two main characters, an "upir" (vampire) and werewolf.

It's pretty dark though and may not be for everyone. My friend says it's similar with "American Horror Story" except not as "jump out at you scary". I've never watch AHS, so I can't compare.

During the first season, there were a few scenes I thought were kind of gross. Like at one point someone is making meatballs and they keep zooming in really close to the meat, then another person pops a raw meatball in their mouth and they showed that really close up too.

The werewolf transformation is AWESOME though. The special effects team deserves an award for that.

Exactly!

I've never watched the league because I'm not really into sports and I assumed that its about fantasy football. Is it? I have watched Sunny though! It's hilarious.

27. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2014

Give Breaking Bad a second try! It's by far the greatest drama series I've ever seen. I met a few people who didn't get into it at first either, I told them to hold on until end of season 2. They were so glad they did!! Finish at least season 2! :)

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2014

I forgot about Sherlock. I still have not watched Season 3. There are only a few (long) episodes in each season.

29. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2014

I discovered Lillehammer this summer. It's a mob guy who starts a new life in Norway, but he just can't shake old habits.

30. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2014

Update: OMG. I watched OITNB last night starting around like 9:30 and 4 episodes later I'm completely hooked. Yay! It'll be interesting to see how they stretch 15 months into 3 seasons. I love when they show the inmates back story. Red was so different before she got arrested. I can't imagine her life when she finally gets out. Her husband prob wouldn't recognize het

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2014

Has anyone watched The Killing? It's pretty good but the first 2 seasons were about 1 case. I thought they kind of stretched it out a bit. The 3rd season is about another case and it's interesting but sometimes it seems to drag on and on.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2014

When you get to season 2 it's also interesting to find out that what you THOUGHT you knew about a character is totally wrong after you see some of the back story. I won't spoil it for you but there's one story that made me realize that character is way crazier than i thought she was!!

33. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2014

I believe it! While I find the comedy and goings-on of prison life entertaining and interesting, it's the back story and different characters that keeps me coming back. I think the writers were brilliant for that. The writers of SVU do the same thing which is part of why I enjoy that series and why it's so popular.

34. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2014

I felt the same way and gave up on it.

35. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

I started It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia last night. Hilarious! Em, if you liked that you'll like Arrested Development for sure. The style is very similar.

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2014

I thought the whole thing with the female detective supposedly on her way to get married (she missed her flight 4 times???) was a bit annoying. They could have left that out.

37. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 4, 2014

OMG. I LOVE The Killing. I didn't think it was slow. I actually enjoyed that it was a slower paced detective show. I felt it was realistic in that a lot of the crimes aren't solved as quickly as portrayed in other shows, and that it's very possible some crimes are solved with the wrong guy! I like the way they did the show with the first three seasons because everything is interrelated, even though you don't see it at first.

My husband and I burned through the first three seasons. We're watching the final season now.

38. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 4, 2014

My husband and I watch a lot of TV on Netflix. We've watched (or are currently on) these:

The Killing :wub:
    Lost Girl :wub: - I think Netflix is up-to-date now. The show actually comes on in Canada (Showcase) earlier than it does in the US (Syfy). I cannot wait until the next season!
    Doctor Who - The reboot. New season coming soon!!
    Sherlock
    Leverage
    White Collar
    Desperate Housewivves
    Battlestar Galactica - The reboot. I was hesitant at first, but I was HOOKED.
    The Following - New season is coming soon. I also cannot wait for this one.
    Orange is the New Black! :wub:

And we've also re-watched some oldies, but goodies:
    Charmed - mostly me, not my hubs.
    Angel
    Buffy

39. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Scandal is the reason why I signed up for Netflix. I started watching episode 3 or 4 of season 3 on ABC. I was going crazy not knowing what was going on.

Scandal is so good that I've watched some episodes more than once.

I recently finished OITNB. Didn't think I was going to like it, but it's pretty good.

I tried watching The Killing but it's just too slow.

40. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

I LOVE OITNB!! Are you just getting into it?

41. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 5, 2014

Oh my gosh, YES. I just watched the episode 10. I'm so glad I have a couple weeks left before school gets back in so I can finish the series. It's surprisingly good and realistic. I'm glad Pennsatucky got her comeuppance. I have a question about what happened to Trish, but I'll PM it to you incase anyone reads this thread. Don't want to spoil it for them :)