What to use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.R.82, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Ms.R.82

Ms.R.82 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I have a new classroom with very limited wall space. I have two pocket charts that I need to hang - one is my centers chart and the other is my behavior chart. I've decided my centers chart will probably be best on the outside of the bathroom door, even though it will be opened and closed all day long, as the students will not be allowed to touch the cards. The behavior chart will have to be on the wall (I no longer have cinder block walls, they are regular walls - like in a new house) in the back of the room near my kidney table. Thing is, since it is a new building, we are only allowed to use those 3M strips that the school will provide. Does anyone know how to make this pocket chart stay on the wall using only the 3M strips? (The students will be flipping their cards in this chart.) Is there anything else that is strong enough to use that will not ruin the walls? I'd hate to create a new behavior system. Also, what would best hold the centers pocket chart to a door? :thanks: :help:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 16, 2009

Do you mean that removable double-sided sticky stuff? It doesn't hold up anything with much weight to it. Do you have any tall file cabinets you could attach to with heavy-duty magnets? Or, even extra magnetized white board space?

You couldl also suspend it from a dropped ceiling if you have that. Use those plastic things that hook onto the metal frame for the ceiling ties. Of course, it would have to be right near the wall.

If the door is wooden, I would just staple it. If it is metal, get some heavy-duty magnetic strips. You could also find some over-the-door hooks (like for closets) that might fit into grommets on the pocket chart.

4. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I am in the same boat as you with wall space between the white board and the smart board. I am just doing my best with using pocket charts where I can (you can get 3M strips that have hooks on them that would hold a pocket chart easily). Also, take advantage of any magnetic surfaces (like on a whiteboard or side of a large filing cabinet) and doors (there are wreath holders for the holidays that would hold things, though I don't know how easily they can be found this time of year.). Hope this helps!

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

Do you have any free space on magnetic things such as the side of a file cabinet? For one of my centers, I have some wide magnetic clips that can hold the pocket charts on the side. I am also using the other hooks with 3M strips on it like the previous poster said to stick things on walls.

6. Ms.R.82

Ms.R.82 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

Thanks for the replies. Stapling the chart to the door is a good idea, but I don't think they'd allow it. Also, it's a door that looks wooden, but doesn't feel wooden. Do you know the kind? Sorry if I don't make sense. We don't have the 3M strips yet, so I don't know what they look like. We do not even have a file cabinet and my white board is pretty full. It has some space to write on and I don't want to add anything else. I'll figure it out, I hope. :dizzy:

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

What about those 3M Command strips? They stick wonderfully and you can hang all kinds of weight on them. And then they come off cleanly when your done! I use them at Christmas to hang all kinds of things around the house; love 'em!

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 16, 2009

You can get the 3M Command strips at most office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Michaels...). They have different sizes that hold different weights. I've found them to be very strong and sturdy (but also come off easily and without damage). They also sell ones with hooks that I use in my classroom to hold up pocket charts.

Check them out here: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/
    or here: http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&fromUrl=home

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2009

Would those heavy duty suction cups with hooks allow you to adhere it to a surface (maybe even a window)? If it isn't something the students need to manipulate a lot, then I think that could potentially hold it up.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

11. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

To hang my pocket charts I use a garment rack and hang my charts from it using the circle rings you put note cards on. I can push it out of the way when we don't need the chart and pull it up front when we do. Can you hang your behavior chart on the bathroom door and then hang the center chart on the garment rack?

Here's a link for the one I use...
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569418

12. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

The 3M hooks work really well for all my pocket charts, and I've found the trick is to put up the 3M hooks, and don't hang the chart on there for a day or two so it has time to really hang onto the wall. If I hang my charts right away, they fall down, but if I leave it overnight, it'll stay up the next day.

13. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I used the 3M strips with hooks to hang my behavior chart on the filing cabinet last year and it held up. (Even when kids were angry with flipping cards).

14. Ms.R.82

Ms.R.82 Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

Thanks again for the ideas! So I used the 3M strips (with and without hooks) as we were told to and push pins/thumb tacks (we actually got permission to use them). Now I am very worried. I decided to switch posters and I had to remove one that had 3M strips. So I pulled - by the tab, of course! - very carefully and the one came off. It just looks like the paint is puckering a little. What worries me is that when I pulled off the 2nd one - again by the tab and VERY slowly- it pulled off part of the new sheetrock. I don't know if I should tell now or later. I'm scared of my P's reaction even though I was SOOOO careful. What should I do?

15. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

That's what I use, the pocket chart stand that the supply stores sell are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money!:lol:

16. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

How about sticky velcro? I use this on my walls and it holds up my pocket charts very well. :)