What to think of this

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by returningtoclassroom, Aug 11, 2019.

1. returningtoclassroom

returningtoclassroom New Member

Aug 11, 2019

So I applied for a job last week and got call Thursday morning from the Principal. Said he'd love to interview me for the job but the interviews were finalizing that day. So about an hour later I went in and interviewed for the position. I think it went well not amazing but I think I did pretty well for not having had a education interview in many years.

Anyhow, what should I think about getting called in on such short notice? School is starting soon (day after labor day) so I know they are in a rush. Does the fact I was even offered an interview at that point tell me they weren't sold on anybody? I sort of feel if they knew who they wanted to hire whats the point of even trying to bring me in same day?

I was wondering if I was a filler interview but again I was only given a choice of one slot an hour from when we spoke. If they really needed me just to interview to say they interviewed enough people etc that probably wasn't the best way to get somebody in.

Hopefully coming in on such short notice showed how much I'd really like the position. Anyhow I was just looking to see what you guys and gals think of something like this.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2019

It could very well be that the school just found out about a vacancy--a teacher has left unexpectedly, enrollment has increased, there has been an unexpected retirement or leave. Where you told when you would hear back? Good luck!

4. returningtoclassroom

Aug 11, 2019

The vacancy was because the previous teacher took an admin job outside the county. I guess I saw the posting late as it had been posted for about a week before I applied and emailed the Principal. He called the next morning saying he'd love to interview but it'd have to be that day.

Principal said it was going to have to move fast due to the start of school approaching. As we finished up he asked for a reference whos seen me with work kids (been out of teaching recently but not coaching) and asked if I could start the job for training in 2 weeks. I told him that'd be no problem at all. He did a lot of speaking like "you'll teach these classes, etc" but without knowing him I'd be overthinking it to think that means anything.

This was Thursday afternoon and the county is closed Fridays during the summer. I'm assuming I'd hear tomorrow or latest Tuesday if I was to get the job due to the fast tracked nature needed. Have to admit it was sort of fun to return the education interviews with something with such a quick turn around. Didn't give me any time to be nervous. Even if I don't get it I think the interview experience will help for the next one. I'm very successful in the business world but as you know education and business interviews are two different animals.

bella84, MrsC and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2019

I think if the P was saying words like: "YOU"LL teach these classes and asked for references, your odds are good. Being a coach, would make you a big ticket item up here too. :) It is probably different in different areas, but I think it takes up to 48 hours for a P to get a new hire approved. Hopefully, you'll hear back soon!

returningtoclassroom likes this.
  6. returningtoclassroom

Aug 11, 2019

That's what I'm hoping, it's a good job with a good school. It's been a while since I've been inside a classroom so I wasn't really expecting to have a chance first interview back. That said being it's an elective class with a job that came open August 1st most likely really thinned the field and works in my favor.

I try not to over think things and just let them happen but I must admit this whole thing played with my head. Getting called in the same day and all I wasn't liking my chances but about half thru the interview I got the vibe like well this might workout afterall. I've coached in the same county for over a decade (taught in another one) and have a masters degree so hoping that makes up for my lack of recent classroom experience.

Well even if I don't get it at least I'll have a story to tell. I got called into a noon interview at 11:15 and at least made that part work, haha!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2019

That is exciting! When I saw the word "coach" your odds definitely increased....lol Then having coached in the same county for 10 yrs, put you over the edge here. :) Your MA should help too. WE are always in need of good coaches and sped teachers. We have too many teachers to be needed in in our area. So a teacher who has coached or had a sped degree would get the job hands down. I'd prefer being a coach to being a sped teacher...lol