What to tell admin about day off?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by scienceteach82, Mar 27, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 27, 2008

Hey everyone.

I've taken off 2 days this month for interviews. My meeting with the school from the "OMG!!!!!!!!!!" thread is on Tuesday.
    We aren't given many personal days or sick days. We get 1/2 day each month. I've used all mine due to illness and other things.
    I am currently trying to get into grad school. I was under the impression that I needed to get my certificate of immunization form in by the due date (april 1st) to take summer classes online. Before I realized that I don't need the form for those classes...I had sent an email to my admin asking if I could go tomorrow morning to the health clinic to get a doctor to sign off that I've had my shots. (I sound like a pet now...lol)
    Admin responded back that tomorrow was a bad day...and could it be sometime next week. It dawned on me that I had my meeting at the other school Tuesday, so I asked for that day. They wrote back saying that wouldn't work, and I could just do it tomorrow.
    At the same time, the enrollment ppl from the college said I didn't need the form.
    ACK!
    What do I do about Tuesday?? The meeting is at 10 am. What should I tell my admin? Or just call in sick that day? Blah!
    I will need this job (ugh) if the other doesn't come through like I hope it will.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2008

Weeellllllllll, sicknesses are still going around so you could always call in that you are sick.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 27, 2008

Take a sick day or tell them that you will need a half day at 10am next Tuesday because you have an appointment that you have been waiting months for and that they will not be able to see you again if you cancel it.

5. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Mar 27, 2008

Take an unpaid sick day...diarrhea..it comes on quickly and you need to be by the toilet all day!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

No way don't take a sick day. What happens if the school that you have the interview at calls your principal for a reference. Just tell them you have an interview.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 27, 2008

my school doesn't give references...just verify dates of employment.
    while looking at what I could use online one guy did suggest digestive trouble and said to fart really loudly while talking to the admin...lol...I laughed so hard at that

8. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

leave it to the guys to crack you up, I've got a mentor with that kind of humor...

about your admin, EVERYDAY is a bad day to call in sick especially for simple doctor visits (at least that's how it is with my district)...I would simply say appointments got booked and Tuesday is the only day you can go in to get this form in on time.

For future reference, keep these kind of things on the DL, they don't need to know very much, just that you're "sick"