what to spend money on

Discussion in 'General Education' started by e6789, Jul 25, 2012.

1. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

What do you find helpful to spend your classroom money on?

3. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Jul 25, 2012

Pens, pencils, composition books, toner

I'll use mine for composition books, pens, pencils, and toner for my printer. I give each student a composition book for bookwork, labs, and notes, as well as an ink pen for the notebook. At my school, we have to put all copies in 2 days before we expect to get them. So last year I bought a Brother 2270 DW that prints front and back very quickly and can print two legible copies on each side. I printed all the sheets I needed in the class as I needed them and it worked out well. I also have bought a copier/page scanner that I use to grade standardized tests (bubble sheets) and scan worksheets into the computer for the printer.
    Last year I moved to a new school and bought a knock-off smartboard for my classroom (they have but one Promethian board for the entire school). I like mine better, cost $200, I already had a Video Projector. So this year I will stick to the above. What works, works.;)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

I like to spend my classroom money on the consumable things that I will need every year (dry erase markers, colored paper, special pens for grading, etc).

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

I agree- consumables.

Anything we buy with school money belongs to the school. So, I only buy consumables. If I want something, I buy it myself. For example, all of my novel sets were purchased on my own (with the help of Scholastic points!)

Of course, we haven't been given money to spend in over 4 years.........

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 26, 2012

I find the vast majority of my $150 allotment goes to post its, dry erase markers, tape and other office essentials. I tend to spend the rest on math manipulatives.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2012

We don't get classroom money.

The office automatically provides all the basic office supplies, so I just have to go there to get paperclips, tape, staples, Post-It notes, etc. We can request additional materials as we need them. Last year I ordered markers and colored pencils. I don't need those every year. This year I needed rulers since one of my kids broke all of mine last year. This year I also ordered a wooden organizer for my student table.

I use my personal money on things that make my life easier.

8. SandyMandy

SandyMandy Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

Same here - I've switched schools in the past and some of my lovely supplies (clipboards, games, manipulatives, etc.) had to stay at the school because they were bought with school money. I don't want to keep buying that stuff over and over again with our very limited lead money so I buy it out of my own pocket and take it with me.

Nobody is going to care if I take home a half-used box of paper clips at the end of the year but they sure will notice if the other stuff is missing!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 26, 2012

I have a budget for grades 3/4 and 5/6-- I can spend it on special field trips/activities, materials for experiments, professional development (though we do have a separate fund for that), as long as I can justify why I need it. It's not a lot though but thankfully I don't have to buy notebooks for my students-- I do buy pencils, whiteboard markers, construction paper, glue sticks etc for us to use but I am allowed to take it out of budget.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

Well, I spent my allotted amount for the beginning of the year and here's what I got (for 2nd grade):

24 Dry Erase Markers
    6 tiny, cheap dry erase boards for use at small group
    24 glue sticks
    10 pairs of kids' scissors
    24 boxes of crayons
    Birthday Stuff (I make up Birthday party bags at the beginning of the year and have them on hand so I don't miss a birthday! This year I put in a small container of Playdoh, a bottle of bubbles, and a party blower. They'll also get a certificate, some smelly stickers, a pencil, and a bookmark)
    One of those big lined charts of paper
    A kit containing a calendar with dated squares and interchangeable month headers, a birthday calendar, some border and a few other items
    A couple packs of numbered squares to use for attendance/lunch count and jobs
    Some end of year awards (I found what we used last year and wanted to go ahead and pick them up)
    A calendar for myself to put in my planning book
    A couple lanyards for my name tag (one's for my neck, the other attaches to my pants)
    MANY folders, some vinyl zipper pouches, and some plastic sleeves- these are all for their take home binders. I usually use folders, but they get ruined SO quickly.
    Manila folders to staple together for test folders
    Bandaids- one box of Barbie, one box of Superheroes, and one box of mixed sizes
    Pencil top erasers
    Student sticks (frog shapes that you put student numbers on to draw when randomness is needed)
    Desk tags and plastic self-stick sleeves to hold them on the desks
    ZipLoc bags for storage.

I use the money to buy supplies because we are not allowed to send home a list. WE must provide everything we want them to have. If they bring things, they can use them, but we can't ask or even suggest that they bring anything. Ugh. There are still things I need, but it will have to wait! Thankfully, I get copy paper provided and I have several things already from previous years (a good pencil sharpener and stapler! Thanks goodness!). I also get some more money as the year goes on. So I can order other things later.

11. SharonCrawford

SharonCrawford Rookie

Jul 27, 2012

I will use the money to buy books, pens, pencils etc..

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

We do not need to purchase basic supplies. The office supplies things for teachers, such as markers, pens, staples, tape, etc. Students bring their own supplies in.

We are to spend our money on teaching materials. Here are some of the things I ordered:
    -"Welcome to my class" postcards to send to students
    -A globe
    -6 student clocks (I only had 18)
    -Wikki Stix for word work
    -Human body charts
    -A subscription for Reading A to Z
    -Colored tiles for math
    -Chart paper

I can't remember what else!

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

Wow. Sounds like a DREAM! :unsure:

14. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

I'm implementing a literacy intervention program, so any supplies related to that program were purchased for me already. With my classroom budget, so far I've bought mostly bulletin board paper, bulletin board borders, a few decorative bulletin board sets, timers, a sterilte 3 drawer storage cart, and supplies for myself (dry erase markers, scissors, stapler)

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

I teach K and every year spend about 100$ on desk name plates, cubbie tags, all about me posters, birthday and homework charts, a new game or two, student dry erase markers, student pencil boxes and glue sticks! My school usually supplies us with K crayons and pencils, I keep my scissors year after year. Then we get a 200$ supply budget and I use a lot of that for construction paper, paint, etc. :D

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

supplemental materials. We are supplied with needed consumables.