What to say

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Jul 8, 2011.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 8, 2011

What can a young teacher say to make a P feel he/she CAN manage a high school classroom even though he/she may look as young as a student. How does one prove they have the knowledge and ability (in an interview) they can handle teaching required for graduation classes. Thanks.

3. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 8, 2011

Know your stuff backwards and forwards, bottom line. So, practice explaining your classroom management philosophy. What would you do if a kid told you to f*** off? What would you do if a fight started in your classroom? What would you do if a kid was bullying another kid?

If you HAVE the knowledge and ability, it will come out. Just make sure you practice communicating that knowledge effectively and in detail.

I am a small woman and look extremely young, but I am confident and knowledgeable. No one has ever doubted my ability to handle a classroom (and I worked in a pretty rough school)

4. geek412

geek412 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011

Exactly what Ms. SLS said. The only thing I have to add is strong, positive body language always helps.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2011

Dress professionally and have confidence in your abilities

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

For starters, dress the part. That means a jacket of some form--it instantly adds the impression of authority. (Keep that in mind after the interview, when you're faced with proving you can control a class.)

The principal knows you're a first year teacher, and can guestimate your age based on what's in your resume. So if you're called in for an interview, it's because he or she believes it's still worth the time to interview you.