What to say when you call a school

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacher Gii, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 6, 2014

When you call a school during job seeking, what exactly do you say? This seems like it should be a no brainer, but I am interested in what others have said in hopes of securing an interview. I have emailed several principals and I would like to do a follow up call with them after school is over (the last week is next week).

3. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 6, 2014

So I received this response from a P after emailing her my resume last night. How should I take this?

"Thanks for contacting me and sharing your information.

Have a great day!"

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 6, 2014

Did they have jobs posted or are you just randomly calling? I think the principal was nice in acknowledging your email but don't keep bugging them. If they want to contact you for an interview they have your information.

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 6, 2014

Hi TeacherNY! At this particular district, they had one posting for elementary teacher and gave a list of the schools that had open positions, so I have been emailing the principals of the schools listed and the P who responded was one of them. After emailing, I was going to possibly do a follow up call or visit them when school lets out. Is this a bad idea?

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 6, 2014

I feel this is overkill since he already responded that he got your information. Maybe others have different advice?

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 6, 2014

I personally do not call or go up to schools. I am kinda old school but I don't want to come off as a pest. I send my info and then just wait. Maybe I lose out on information but they MUST get so overwhelmed with people try to get in. I don't want to be an bother.

8. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 6, 2014

I totally agree. You don't want to be "labeled" as being too assertive.

9. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 6, 2014

Very valid points. Usually that is my reasoning too, but then a friend of mine suggested that I email and then follow up with a call or visit because that is how they got their interviews. I have always gone in with the, "okay they have my info and will either call or not.." But when they don't call its like, did they lose it among the other emails and stacks of paperwork they have?

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 6, 2014

I have had people tell me the same thing. People with jobs - did you get yours by waiting for them to contact you, or by emailing or calling to follow up an application? I prefer the first but would do anything that helps.

11. miles2go4u

miles2go4u Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

I got my new job by submitting all of my application materials as per the directions on the website. I did not do anything extra.

The current job I am resigning from, I was hired after stopping in to drop off a resume in the office and being in the right place at the right time. This is in the South. New job is in the North. Location makes a huge difference, I think.

12. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 6, 2014

Yes, also the type of district. I have taught in two different districts, both of which only have a single elementary, middle, and high school. Just applying to these schools was enough and no follow-up was needed before they contacted me.

However, I just got a job in a more metropolitan area where some of the districts have 10+ high schools. I have found that the online district-wide applications are really only used if the school doesn't have someone in mind for the job. After applying to the district online, I e-mailed my resume to the department head of the school that I was interested in. She immediately responded and suggested checking with my references to make sure my online application was complete. I did that, and about a week later they had finally all come through so I e-mailed her again to update her. The school called me for an interview 2 hours later.

Gii, I would probably just wait for further contact at this point. You already know that your info has been received, so unless you have something new to provide, I think you just wait. :sorry:

13. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 8, 2014

Thank you all for your input! I think I will go with the majority and just wait. I don't expect a job to just come to me, but I agree with not wanting to become a pest to the principals by trying to contact them too much.

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 8, 2014

I have done that, with success.

In the case you describe, I didn't e-mail first but just showed up in-person to deliver. Principals will probably advise against it cuz they don't want the bother, but I will say that I've landed ALL of my interviews by showing up, and NONE via the official way.

I agree that since you already e-mailed and they somewhat curtly replied back, I probably wouldn't *also* show up on their doorstep (risk being annoying). But it is your call--it could be the right thing to do.