What to say on Interview about this question??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutiegirlxo, Aug 27, 2008.

1. cutiegirlxo

cutiegirlxo Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I have a Masters in Special Ed. and a BS in Childhood education. I was never interested in teaching Special Education, but wanted to get my Masters in it to learn more about special ed because while getting my BS, I was never exposed to it. I am going to be applying to jobs soon in Las Vegas and I'm afraid they are going to put me in a Special Ed. position. How can I say that I don't want to teach Special Ed and want to teach General Ed. without sounding rude and getting turned down completely. I only wanted to get my Masters in Special Ed. so that I could better assist students that were having difficulty in my general ed. classes and to learn more about Special Ed...but now with everyone wanting people who have a special ed. background, I feel like I have messed my chances and will always have to worry about being placed in a special education classroom :(
    Please help!

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 27, 2008

In my district sped jobs are listed as sped, and gen ed jobs are listed as gen ed ... so it would simply be an issue of not applying for sped jobs. Is it not like that everywhere?

I think you really can sell your degree the way you hope (help all learners) in an interview, I don't think you've necessarily hurt your employability.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 27, 2008

That's what I was thinking... only apply for the Gen. Ed. jobs.

5. cutiegirlxo

cutiegirlxo Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

No, in the district I currently work at... if they need someone in the Special Ed. position- they will put you there regardless of whether you want to be there or not. I'm afraid of how to answer the question "Why I don't want to teach Special Ed.?" without sounding rude and still get the job.

6. cutiegirlxo

cutiegirlxo Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Anyone please know how to answer this question... it's really important for me to have a good answer... Any advice would be appreciated :)

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

Basically what you said above, it's honest, there's nothing wrong with being honest.

They can't discriminate against you if you don't want to teach it. Just make sure you apply for gen. ed. positions and simply say, "No" if you're offered special ed.

If there's nothing else available though & you need to be employed, take it.

I couldn't teach special ed., not everyone can and there's nothing wrong with that.

Good luck.

8. MissR

MissR Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

Say that, as all teachers have their strengths, you have realized that your strength is in gen. ed. but you use your sped background daily in the classroom.

You are asking for us to play your reason why you don't want to teach sped without telling us your actual reason...

9. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 28, 2008

I think the reason that you explained in the first post in the thread would be reason enough. Also, you could say that you want the opportunity to work with learners of all levels or something to that effect.

10. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

I think saying you prefer general education would be fine, with perhaps the additional information that you believe your special ed training will help you with the increasing numbers of mainstreamed special ed students.