What to sacrifice? Classroom Setup Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Starr, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I am teaching 4th grade this year in a pretty small room. I have been struggling to figure out how to fit everything in the room. I have determined that I have to either put my classroom library shelves under the whiteboard in the front of the room which makes it harder to write on the board for me and for the students, but then I can still have some open space in the middle of the room if I want kids to meet on the carpet. OR I can put the shelves against the wall in the back of the classroom, but I will have to move the desks so much farther forward in the room that I will not have much carpet space. Which do I want more-the whiteboard accessible or carpet space?

3. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Move them to the back.

In my opinion, 4th grade is a little old for carpet time. They just take up so much space there.

4. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

My library is right in front of my whiteboard. That way my carpet can be in the back for shared reading.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 9, 2007

My carpet is so big. I have part of my library on the edge of it, as well as my computer table. In the past I have had arrangements that affect how many kids can be on the carpet. I train those who sit in desks near the carpet to turn their chairs toward the carpet when we are there. That way most of my students are on the carpet, and a few are in chairs.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2007

I had a carpet for 5th and they loved it. It was small and wouldn't fit more than 10 5th graders at once. The kids often took pillows and sprawled out on the floor under desks or anywhere.

My room is small and the rug fit on the side of the room. Bookshelves along the back wall. I don't think I could stand to reach over bookshelves to write on the board. Plus I'd probably stub my toes on them all the time.

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 9, 2007

Put the library in the back and move the kids closer. The closer the kids are to you, the more that they are on task!

8. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 23, 2007

what do you do on the carpet in 4th grade? i'm interviewing for a 5th gr position and i'm wondering what exactly what could be done in that respect? (i'm used to hs age kids-all desks, no room for "play")

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 23, 2007

"what do you do on the carpet in 4th grade? i'm interviewing for a 5th gr position and i'm wondering what exactly what could be done in that respect? (i'm used to hs age kids-all desks, no room for "play")"

Older kids like to work on the floor with partner and clipboards. You might also use the space for a read aloud, presentations or skits, etc. It also makes the room feel a lot more homey when you have some space to relax or get out of your seat.

Can you put the carpet and the library in the back of the room, and meet there as well? Make it a meeting area/library? Push your desks closer to the board and have an open space at the back. I have also heard of a lot of teachers who put their desks in a U shape, with the carpet in the middle. Then you could put the book shelves in the back with maybe a basket of pillows. During reading, they could grab a pillow and sit in the middle of the U to read.

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 23, 2007

I think this is a great idea if you can manage it. Good luck!!