What to read? What to read? What to read?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

I finished The Lost Symbol the other night, and now what do I read? Anyone have any suggestions?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 2, 2009

I just picked up 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs. I have liked all of her other books.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

I love the Bones televison series, is this the same Temperance?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 2, 2009

Have you read Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell? I read it in one day (stayed up until 4:30 AM to do it, though....)

6. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

"Stamping Grounds" by C.Connelly...it's about the world cup campaign by Liechtenstein in the last word cup (football) they were rubbish by the way and never qualified. The book covers their build up and how a man married his pet eagle...they don't come better than this sort of read !!!!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 2, 2009

Yes! I have watched the show a few times. Temperance in the books is a bit older than her TV counterpart. I do like the book character more.

8. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 2, 2009

I'm reading The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf. I've recently finished Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner and Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (it's the vampire series that the show True Blood is based on). Next on my list is Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (author of Time Traveler's Wife).

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

Are they like the Twilght series?

Sounds great, but he married his pet eagle???

I like to get my teeth into this sort of book. I don't have good sense though and will stay up way to late on a school night reading. I love it though.

I'm making my wish list on Amazon as I check into these suggestions, thank you all so much for the suggestions!

Is she cold-hearted in the books too?

I'm doing Reading Response letters with my kids and I always write a little about what I'm reading to them so they have examples to model. It surprises me how noisy they are LOL.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

I'm loving the Melissa Marr books-they are about Fairies, and I feel they are very well written. Not fluff, like a lot of the current young adult books. I broke down and bought the third in hardcover because I love them so much and had to find out what happens to Seth and Aislinn.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 2, 2009

Oh, do let me know about The Weight of Silence. I almost bought that in the book club I belong to, but chose something else instead. I also want to read Dead until Dark because I love the series. I am waiting for Water for Elephants to get to my house. I ordered it last week, and it should be here any day! My sister said it was great.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 2, 2009

Water for Elephants was great!!

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

How funny... I saw the thread title, and was going to suggest The Lost Symbol! I'm reading it at the moment and I'm enjoying it thus far.

14. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 3, 2009

Hm, other than the vampire theme and the human girl falling in love with the vampire, not really. The author is not quite so obviously in love with her main character as Stephanie Meyers is, haha. It's a light read, but it's not written for young adults and is more quirky. I've only read the first book so I can't say much for the series as a whole yet, but it was interesting enough to make me want to pick up the next two books.

knitter63, I'm about halfway through The Weight of Silence and I really enjoy it. I like that you get to read through the perspective of several characters in the story and I'm anxious to see how it plays out.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 3, 2009

Mugglebug-
    you helped me make the decision! I am going to buy it!!!!
    My sister will like it too!

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 3, 2009

I couldn't put it down. I went to bed early one night because I was so tired and got back up and read till ll:30 on a school night!

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 4, 2009

After owning the book Christy for about 20 years, in desperation I finally started reading it. It is really interesting for me as a teacher to read about her experience in a one room school house in Appalachia with 66 students!

18. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

"Stargazing" by eter Hill. He dropped out of art college in the 1970s while studying in Scotland. Went to become a lighthouse keeper and tells some lovely tales from some remote Scottish lighthouses while smoking dope and listening to Frank Zappa ! A good read

19. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

OOPS....Peter Hill....bloody laptop !

20. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 4, 2009

I finished it last night and thought it was really good - I hope you enjoy it!!

21. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Oct 4, 2009

I read Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Wiener and The Husband Habit by Alisa Valdes Rodriguez.

22. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Oct 4, 2009

This week I re-read "The Lovely Bones" since a movie is coming out. Today I read "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop, her true tale of escaping the Fundie LDS Mormon cult. Very good.

23. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Oct 4, 2009

I just finished reading "The Pact" by Jodie Piccoult.....highly recommended. It is definitley emotional, I was bawling at the end.

24. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Oct 4, 2009

Drood by Dan Simmons (?). I am reading it right now, it is very long but very good. It is a fictional story about Charles Dickens and another writer and an incident that happened to Dickens about five years before he died, a mystery!

25. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2009

Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Wiener --going to get this book tomorrow! I love her books! I finshed the one about the housewife who figures out a murder cant remember the name right now

26. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

A friend suggested, "The Shack." I am going to get on the waiting list for it next time I go to the library.

27. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Oct 5, 2009

I've been seeing it on the bestseller rack at the bookstore for some time.....looks pretty good.

28. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 5, 2009

Non-fiction, I'm currently reading "Born to Rule" by Julia P. Gerardi

Fiction, I recently read Plain Perfect by Beth Wiseman.

29. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 5, 2009

I recently read that one. It's not as humorous as her others (I think that was the intent) but I still enjoyed it very much!

I was disappointed in The Shack but I know many people who loved it so I think it's worth a read!

30. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 7, 2009

I found Born to Rule on Amazon and it's $69.93, I've never spent that much for a book, unless it was for grad school. What makes it so pricey?

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2009

I loved that television series. :)

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 7, 2009

I did too.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2009

I just looked up Back Roads on Amazon to see if it was the book I thought it was...I thought I was confused because I got the book several years ago accidently while a member of a mail-order book club. Anyhow, it was the same book. I didn't realize it was a selection in Oprah's book club. I typically enjoy her choices and this was no different.

34. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 8, 2009

That is interesting-why were you disappointed? I loved the book. I found it to be very interesting.

35. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 8, 2009

What Dreams May Come - by Matheson..I can't remember his first name

36. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2009

I'm in the middle of "Those Who Save Us" but I'm not sure of the author. It's a historical fiction about what German women had to do to survive WWII. Powerful so far.
    It was recommended by a colleague.

37. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 8, 2009

That's the hardcover version - I got the paperback version. It was about 20$.

38. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 9, 2009

I'm in the middle of 2 books depending on my mood...The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan & Going Bovine by Libba something er rather...I recently finished The Fairy Tale Detectives series (love the references to the original fairy tales, though written for younger kids) & the Lightening Thief & all the books after (forget the series name) love the sarcasm in those. And 13 Reasons Why (teen suicide) but one of the better written ones as to style, perspective.

39. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

206 Bones finally came in this week, I hope to read it this weekend.

40. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Oct 16, 2009

I finally am on the last book of the Sookie Stackhouse books (as mentioned earlier, these books are the foundation for the "True Blood" series) and its pretty good. I like books that blend improbable characters in probable situations..and this series chocks in vampires, werewolves, fairies and even Elvis :)..in the same bar as well!

The books are a fun read and I recomend them for those days you just want to read a book but not really have to think...

41. KDS

KDS Companion

Oct 16, 2009

i just got done listening to the audio book of The Help by Kathryn Stockett

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255715419&sr=8-1

the audio version was AMAZING! i have it loaded on my GPS and had to take it into the house to hear the end of a chapter.

It is a really eye opening look at the world with maids and their "white ladies" in 1963-64 in Mississippi.

the book totally moved me!