What to put outside the classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by laughinglady, Jul 11, 2007.

1. laughinglady

laughinglady Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I was wondering if anyone has any cute ideas for what to hang outside the classroom the first week? I teach 3rd grade and would really like to hear some other ideas of what would look good.:) I would like to do something with their writing or pictures that I usually take the first day.:thanks:

3. Haley1996

Haley1996 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Maybe on the first week you should have the children write about what they did in the summer

4. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

A K teacher at our school did something last year that I liked. She took each kid's picture and printed it out. She stapled it to the bottom of a piece of cardstock and them at the top put some work from the first day. We have those strips of cork on the walls in our hallways for stapling work. And then all year about every 2-3 weeks she'd staple something else on top of it. By the end of the year each kid had sort of a portfolio of work in the hall.

5. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

This year I am using craft foam to make a "baseball card". I am going to take their picture at orientation and put it in the center. At the top it says-TEAM H__________. On the side, I have written "ALL STAR". I have written the student name at the bottom.
    I will put the caption "Announcing...Team H_____________ .

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

That's a cute idea anniefan! I'm secondary so I don't get as many opportunities for things like that, but it's fun to read about them. :)

7. laughinglady

laughinglady Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Thats a neat idea. I thought about doing that with their writing and a picture. Maybe making it seasonal. Thanks

8. rufirstgrade

rufirstgrade New Member

Jul 12, 2007

outsideroom

hi there! new to this forum. i teach first in maine and will def use this idea! i love the endofyr portfolio idea too! thanks

9. rufirstgrade

rufirstgrade New Member

Jul 12, 2007

any other maine teachers out there? i teach in milford maine.

10. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I do this with my students, too. They add one assignment each week to their "section" outside of our room. This year, I'm going to have them also include an index card that explains why they chose that particular assignment to display.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

I have my high school kids complete a life map that highlights some of the more meaningful events in their lives. It's a good prewriting strategy. I think younger kids could do that to!