What to put on flyer for teachers?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mamaotter, Aug 26, 2014.

1. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

Hi, I am a relatively new sub. I subbed a few times two years ago, and not at all last year. I want to get back into it this year.

In my district, teachers call their own subs most of the time. You have to put your name on a list at each school you sub for, but the office rarely calls subs. It's hard to get jobs if you don't know the teachers. Some of the other subs I know say they put flyers in all the teachers boxes. I plan to do that, attaching a business card they can keep handy, but I'm not sure what to put on the flyer.

I have a college degree, though not in education. I homeschooled my kids for several years, but I'm not sure that would be a recommendation. In January, I plan to start work toward a masters in secondary math. Should I put that on the flyer, and how would I word that?

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks!

Angela

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

Rather than a flyer, maybe consider a friendly 'cover letter' of sorts highlighting your experience and interests.

4. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

Given what I hear from other subs about most of the teachers here, I don't know that many would take the time to read a letter. I was thinking of not so much a flyer as a list of bullet points that can be read easily. Sort of like a resume, but much shorter.

5. teach02920

teach02920 New Member

Sep 3, 2014

where I sub we have to be certified teachers to sub. There is a sub office in each city that calls us so the teachers have NO say in it. Sometimes I think that is better than what you are going through :( I would suggest maybe make a post card with your picture and number on it and highlight your qualities as a substitute teacher. It's a little bit bigger than a business card but not as big as a letter/flyer.

Just my two cents

6. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Sep 4, 2014

The nearby city uses an online signup program. I'm told they tried that here, and it didn't work out. I think I'd prefer it, though.

I already have business cards. I had read somewhere else that if you attach a magnet to the back, some teachers will keep them handy so it's easy to see when they need a sub. I am planning to do that. Since I already have them, I don't want to go to the expense of designing postcards, too. The smaller size paper could work, though. Thanks!