What to put on class website?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Aug 7, 2007.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I may be getting in over my head here, but I want to see how/if this will work. I'm a first year teacher starting second grade in a few weeks and I want to make a class website for students and parents. My goal is to have something accessible at all times to keep students and especially parents informed as to what is happening in the class.

My biggest problem though is that I don't know what I should include on the website. Right now I am thinking a calendar of important events, weekly spelling lists, class photos (when available), and an "About Me" section for me (and maybe even each kid).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can add? Ideally I want to have a separate part devoted to each subject, but I don't know what to put up.

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

This is something I am looking into as well. My best advice is to just look at the wonderful websites that are already out there to get ideas on what to include. Depending on whether you are creating your own site with html or using one such as teacherweb, there may be some restrictions.

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I just set up a new website and I think it's going to be very helpful. I plan on uploading reading log forms, posting due dates for permission slips and stuff like that. Here is the one I just made.

http://teacherweb.com/IL/KanelandMcDole/MrsWicyk/index.html

It was super easy and only costs $27 a year. I used teacher web. Let me know what you think!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

I post student birdays of the month, weekly spelling words, notices about upcoming tests and porject due dates, field trip information, a link to e-mail me. This year I want to experiement with adding book lists and Internet links for different projects and units of study. I am going through Scholastic. It's free and very easy.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Check out mine. I update it weekly.

7. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I should mention I am writing the whole thing in HTML. It's a pain, but it gives me more freedom.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Yuck! I only do codes when I have to.

9. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Scholastic has a good free site.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

I'd also want to be able to see class rules and procedures, a list of healthy snacks (if you do snack), links to the lunch menu, information about special projects you're doing in class, bio-type information about you and any aides/student teachers, a list of classroom supplies you might need during the year, a list of activities parents can do to help their kids succeed, and a form I can fill out to contact you.

Be sure to get image releases before posting student photos online. That can be a big no-no in some districts.

11. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Hi,
    Just a caution. Check to see if you need to have the website approved. We had to. Also, in our district you can not post pics of kids. So, just be sure to find out what the rules are where you are.

12. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2007

We give the parents a media waiver at the beginning of the year. They check whether we can post their child's pictures or not. This also includes when any newspaper or news agency comes in to take pictures. We never put names with the pictures. We are allowed to put first names, but most of us don't.