What to include along with long-term sub plans?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2014

If you were preparing for a long-term sub, what sort of information would you include in addition to your lesson plans? I'm thinking that it would be nice to have a sort of "cheat-sheet" with information like how to request copies and additional supplies, how to use the gradebook, etc. Ideally it would just be a page or two, nothing like a novel or anything. Quick reference, I guess.

Can you guys help me come up with a list of useful procedures and information?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

When I was out for 12 days when my daughter was born, I had my sub come in and I filled her in with as much as possible for an hour, and I asked her to tell me what she wanted written down. My sub took a lot of notes and didn't need me to put much in writing. I left my generic plans, which had most of the day-to-day stuff down.

If I knew about a long-term sub, that's probably how I'd handle it again. If anything, I'd take screenshots of anything computer-related that the sub would have to do.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 3, 2014

I always kept a list of "Who to Ask for ___"

Ask Mrs. Smith for help with the laminator
    Ask Janitor Bob for more paper towels
    Ask Student Steve for troubleshooting the projector

Etc. I even do this in my job now-I'm looking at my laminated list of names, and what form they get. :)

Of course, any and all schedules-including early dismissals and late starts (if they apply to you).

A quick reference for any drills-something easy to grab:

FIRE - exit 2, gather on hill
    TORNADO (do they have those in Vegas?) - Room 231, line up along north wall
    INTRUDER - close and lock door, close blinds, sit along far wall

Hope that helps!

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2014

I just entered a long term (read: 5-6 months) sub job for maternity leave, and honestly, as much as she was able to provide me in a binder, and as much as she was able to tell me, there were still (and are still) so many elements that we didn't cover simply because neither of us realized it.

So, instead of suggesting a bunch of reminders, I'd suggest that you see if that person can come in and shadow you for the day (showing them specifically where everything you use during the day is / how to use it), make sure that as much information, especially vital information, that you use during the day is written down (I forgot and had to re-ask about many things we talked about over the phone/in-person), and that you provide them with resources to answer questions that they will encounter along the way (for example: finding a couple other teachers they can always go to with questions or offering your help via e-mail if they have a specific question).

If you have any sub days you need to take between now and then, see if they can come in, too -- this will force them to think about elements that they need help with / explained to best aid them when they fully take over.
    (and I realize, looking back, I didn't really answer your question exactly - sorry! :p just a few pieces of advice though)

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 3, 2014

I cheated a bit. I got a retired teacher from our school. She'll be teaching my kiddos for 15 days. I did leave her a list of where to find things in my room, the overall pace of the typical day, log-in information for all the websites she might need, and a list of kids that can be useful for carrying out certain tasks. I left her my phone number jus tin case she needs something I didn't realize.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2014

Shadowing/transition days will likely happen. I'm specifically looking for a handout with information that the sub might not get or remember during those transition days or in the event that transition days do not happen.

Thanks for the info so far! Keep it coming!

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 3, 2014

For both of my maternity leaves, I left about 20 pages of procedural info before the actual plans. I left directions for how to access and enter grades, my grading system (how I grade assignments), late work policy, where supplies are in the room, behavior policy, daily schedule, typed directions for every routine possible, code for the copier, etc.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2014

I think it is different since you are secondary.

However, as an elementary LTS, I was left a folder that was about an inch thick. About 10 types pages of notes- routines, passwords, where to locate things, etc... Plus copies of IEPs, pacing guides, class lists, parent contact list, school calendar, district policies, etc...
    Even at the end of my 12 weeks I would flip to it at times, so it was very helpful.

10. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 4, 2014

How to use the phone system to call out of the building if you have one. How to access voicemail. A list of extensions for the building if applicable. (That's updated!)

How to do referrals. What situations are expected to be taken to the office.

Where emergency keys/cards/plans are located for emergency drills (for whatever reason I was never told this until I had an actual LTS, day-to-day I was on my own. Fun times when you have a bomb threat the day before Christmas Break.)

What classroom routines / policies you don't want changed under any circumstance while you are gone and those that you are flexible with.

And this may go without saying, but how you accommodate IEP's, which kids they belong to, how to contact the resource / sped people to set up any testing accommodations if necessary. If applicable, how you adapt their test. and anything else that may seem appropriate. Alot of it becomes second nature after you've worked with the kid for a half a year, sometimes you don't realize how much you actually need to do.