What to Expect?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by msrosie, Aug 19, 2014.

1. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

I'm subbing as an art teacher for the first 8 days of school, possibly longer, as the position has yet to be filled. I emailed the principal to see if there was anything I'd need to know going in. All she told me was the see the assistant principals and the head of specials when I get to the building tomorrow and they'll offer any guidance I need.

I'm just worried that since it's the first several days of school, there will be so much stuff going on that those people won't have a ton of free time to help with things.

Plus, I have no idea if/what I should prepare for.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Hopefully there will be lesson plans. If not, head in with TIGHT behavior mgt and a simple art activity. Google zentangles. You'll only need pencils, paper and skinny sharpies.:thumb:

4. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

I definitely plan to head in with really tight management. If only because I've had not so great experiences at this school before.

The zentangles are an amazing idea, even for not subbing in art, but for if students in the general classes have free time when I'm subbing. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

:love:

6. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

Definitely teach procedures - assume children have forgotten how to hold scissors and use a glue bottle (and everything else!) over the summer. Pop over to the FB group "Art Teachers" - thousands of art teachers post there, not so much here :(

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

And for specific ideas - I start the year out reading The Dot and painting radial designs, move into self portraits to pre assess, and then start my grade specific lessons. It feels like the end of September when I get to the lessons., so I am sure you can survive 8 days. You'll do great!

Others do Pinwheel for Peace.