What to Expect as a K Volunteer?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by hzminda, Nov 22, 2010.

1. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

Hey Everyone!

I am a student currently majoring in Elementary Education and I thought it would be a good idea to volunteer at the local schools in my community.

I contacted a school and went through the whole orientation process of becoming a volunteer. I told them i preferred to volunteer in 3rd or 4th grade, but they said none of the teachers in those grades needed help. So they asked me if I wanted to volunteer for K. I said yes; I figure I have nothing to lose, but gain experience!

I was wondering what to expect as a K. volunteer :)

-Thanks in Advance!

M.H.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2010

Volunteering in a K classroom will SOOO get you ready for the teaching world. I did my student teaching in K and ended up teaching K for three years and MAN did my ability to manage behavior improve when I student taught K. If you can handle those kiddos, you can handle any grade. Really.

So, what to expect? Well, when I had volunteers I put them to work by:
    1) getting art projects ready
    2) pulling kids one at a time to have them read their decodables you
    3) take over a workshop activity during workshop/center time
    4) pull kids to do one on one intervention (counting, abc flashcards, practice writing name, sight words, numbers ID, etc)
    5) organize paperwork, place things into their cubbies
    6) sharpen pencils
    7) get workshop/centers ready for the day
    8) put their decodables together (came from program and we had to fold and staple them together)
    9) pull kids back to work on their monthly art project
    10) circulate the room and help kids during whole group work
    11) work with kids on their writing

Hmmm, that's all I can think of for now. It's been two years now since I've last taught kinder. You'll love it though. I ADORE kindergarten and can't wait until I one day get back in there.

4. MrMarblesTI

MrMarblesTI Rookie

Nov 23, 2010

Expect to have a great time. In my experience, kindergarteners are by far the most excited to be in school and do their work. You've got to keep your eye on them, of course. I caught one "scratching the inside of his ear" with a pair of scissors recently. But for the most part, everything is very exciting to them.

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 23, 2010

Expect the unexpected! You never know what is going to happen in a K room :)

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 24, 2010

Expect to laugh and have fun. Kindergarten is the BEST. :D

7. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Nov 30, 2010

So I finished volunteering (for this week at least) for the Kinders and I must say that I am starting to really enjoy myself! The first day I volunteered I was nervous and kind of turned off by how some of the kids were sick (they had snot running from their nose and they were constantly sneezing). The second day I went to the class I felt more comfortable and the kids already knew who I was so it was nice to hear them say my name and ask for help :) I can't wait till next week for when I volunteer again. I must admit that I don't think I would teach Kinders, but I am having an awesome time helping them out :thumb:

M.H.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2010

I didn't think I would ever teach kinder either and I did it for three years and loved it! :D

9. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

So I have been volunteering with the Kinders for three weeks now and I am starting to fall for them :) They make me feel like I am a super star every time I walk into the classroom (lol). I am really enjoying volunteering and I am learning a lot from the kids and the teachers.

I volunteer for different teachers and it is amazing to see how different the teaching styles and organization styles are :wow: I think volunteering gives me a chance to reflect/take notes on how I am going to manage and teach my class one day :)

Tomorrow the whole Kinder class is going to be performing Christmas Carols for the school and parents ! I am so excited :D

M.H.