what to do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by scienceteach82, Jun 20, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 20, 2009

Hey all...

I applied to my old school that I left for school I just got let go from..

I hand delivered resume and he said to wait to hear from him. Sent follow up email a few weeks ago...no response.

Now...talking on the phone as we speak to my old co-worker that taught the same thing I did...and she quit...so i know there is an opening...or was if they haven't already filled it...

should I send another email? if so...what should I say? he doesn't take calls..(odd foreign thing...)

i need a job...and would like to go back...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

I would email him telling him you are following up and still interested in any positions he might have available. I wouldn't mention talking to the co-worker.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 20, 2009

I wouldn't, but I'm sure a lot of folks might tell you to go for it. So really it's up to you. I guess at this point, what do you have to lose?

I've wanted to work at my son's school since before I went back to school to get my degree. The principal there was familiar with my work ethic becuase I did the newsletters for their PTC. But when job time rolled around he wouldn't give me the time of day. I got a job at a different school for a one-year contract so once again, I tried to contact my son's principal this spring for a job. I had to leave a message and he never called me back. :( I even saw him last week at a press conference and it seemed like he rushed out to avoid talking to me. Kind of makes you self-doubt yourself, ya know? So as a matter of pride, I haven't tried to contact him again and took a job at another school. His (and unfortunately my son's school's) loss. :dunno:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

ZZZ~the principal of the school where my daughter will be going is the same way. Someone told me maybe he doesn't want student's parents working in the same school....I don't know.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 20, 2009

Yeah STG, I considered this possibility. He even asked me once, "You'd be working right across the hall from your son. How would you handle confrontations in the hallway?" I thought this was a strange question. I told him I would have a game plan with his teacher, and that I would tell him hello, and then go about my business.

Ironically, I was recently at an IEP meeting at my son's school, and asked to see his classroom. He was in the cafeteria eating lunch with his class. His dad and I walked by him and he jumped up to say "Hi!" We gave him a hug and then told him to go back with his class - not sure if he'd do it or not. He complied and went right back to his table. I looked up - and there was the principal standing right there witnessing the whole thing. I just smiled and walked away. :D

Sorry for the thread hijack, science! ;)