What to do?!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cindyw625, May 21, 2009.

1. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

May 21, 2009

I need some ideas here. I'm a former student teacher who is trying to complete my student teaching documents. I currently have an "incomplete" due to my Supervisor's decision. I heard from the student teaching department negative things about my Supervisor, including that she used supervise their undergrad student teachers and didn't keep her for various reasons. I think I know those reasons.

Our county in Florida here are not currently hiring for the next fiscal school year. Substituting is no longer lasting on a daily basis. I need to find some income but also find a job that's flexible with me interviewing and trying to find an actual career position. I thought of retail but would hate to stoop that low. Any ideas?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 21, 2009

Have you tried Head Start?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2009

What's "low" about retail?

It seems you are looking for a job, but not necessarily in education. Are there any openings in anything tourism-related?

Does that "incomplete" mean you don't have your degree? Why not get in touch with the college and find out what you would need to get it. At least you would have a degree to put onto your resume, even if you had no plans to teach.

5. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

May 22, 2009

Head Start currently has no openings.

I graduated from California in the same field - there they just make us graduate first then do the student teaching. I moved to Florida several years ago and recently got into a student teaching program that is offered to those with degrees already. I do want an instructional position, however, I have that incomplete for now and our county isn't hiring.

The incomplete is temporary. Once I finish all documentation then the incomplete will be changed to an "Pass."

The student teaching coordinator wouldn't tell me details regarding my supervisor. All I know is that former student teachers had issues with her and the department decided not to keep her for those reasons. They wouldn't give me details.

I don't want to go into retail considering I have more potential and should be earning more than $9 or $10. I'd like to find a company that's flexible enough to let me go interview down the road should a school be interested in hiring me...

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 22, 2009

Everything is tight everywhere. I'd take retail if I had to pay my bills. Good luck.

7. HP_Bug

HP_Bug Rookie

May 22, 2009

ditto.

My job doesn't pay that great, but hey. It's a job. And retail might not be so bad considering most places (at least around here) don't open until 10 or 11 on the weekdays anyway. You could fit an interview in before you had to be at work! Otherwise you could do part-time subbing and find an evening job that's not necessarily education related. I have a friend who is subbing and then waiting tables in the evening. You could also maybe look into a daycare? most daycares are open until 6 or later and if you took a closing shift you wouldn't need to be there until 10 or so. My sister is currently working at a daycare and taking grad school classes. Seems to be working well for her.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 22, 2009

Does your area have migrant head start? Migrant Head Start is a temporary program during the harvest season. Here in Oregon they are always desperate for qualified teachers. In fact, I have an interview on Wednesday with Head Start.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 22, 2009

Retail could the perfect type of job to fit into your schedule. I just started subbing, so I now work my grocery store job just on weekends and evenings. That leaves my days free to sub and interview. Also, you might be able to look into a front desk position at a hotel, waitressing, tutoring or receptionist jobs. Good luck!