What to do????

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by green78, May 5, 2009.

1. green78

green78 Companion

May 5, 2009

I currently work in Pa for a private school and was told yesterday that I have to get certified by September or I am out of a job. I just dont have the money to take the test. I am certified in NJ for both p-3 and Special education. I have been applying to schools in NJ but have not heard any thing back. Does anyone have any advice for me? For example different schools to look at. Should I apply to private school? How much do they pay? I am so frusturated. I cried myself to sleep last night.:(

3. kauni5102

kauni5102 Rookie

May 5, 2009

Would the school be willing to pay for it, or help you pay for it? Do they have some type of reimbursement system? That seems so mean that they would make you do it on your own "or else." Good luck!

4. njsciteach

njsciteach Rookie

May 5, 2009

Hi, I'm in Nj too, and here's where I go to look for openings:
    1- The Star Ledger has the best ed job listings, so if you can't buy the sunday paper, look online. I'm in central jersey and most jobs seem to be too north for me, so should be okay for you)
    2- Also check out njhire on the computer
    3- search for NJ school districts (sorry, dont have the address on this comp) you can search by county, then you have to click onto each district and you get to their web page and check out job postings.
    Hope this helps you

5. green78

green78 Companion

May 5, 2009

They are not willing to help pay for the test.

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

May 5, 2009

How expensive is it to take the test? I ask because in Texas its not much at all (hundred or two total to take the tests.)

I would find (borrow?) the money. Not having a job would be more expensive in the end. Good luck!!

7. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

May 5, 2009

How much is the test you have to take?. It certainly is worth taking it if you will keep your job. Schools in most areas of New Jersey are not hiring.Good Luck

8. palla

palla Companion

May 5, 2009

Is the test all you have to do for certification? If so, I would take the test. I would figure out a way to take the exam and keep my job. If there are financial issues, I would even consider a loan to take the exam. Most of the time tests aren't more than a couple hundred dollars. Yes, that is a lot, but it is doable if your job depends on it. And your job does depend on it; I don't know if you could get a teaching job at any public school without certification.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

The tests in NJ were maybe $100 and the tests in TX were about $70 each (required 3). I would definitely look into getting a small loan (either from a bank or family or friends) and take the tests you need if that's all that is holding you back. I, too, am searching this "fierce" job market and it is indeed tough. If all you need is to pay some cash to take a test, I'd say go for it.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 5, 2009

I would think that spending the money for the test would be worth it to keep your job. I can't imagine it being that expensive. In NY the test aren't too expensive. Most people would be envious to be in your shoes since jobs are so hard to come by.

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 6, 2009

I agree with everyone's advice. I graduated in December after passing all of professional tests (3) and I hold my teaching certificate; BUT, I'm moving to another state and I don't have any experience, I have to take another test to be considered highly qualified. Now, I know the test I have to take is probably the same test I took here but I signed up yesterday to take Praxis II Elem Content at $130. So I totally feel your pain.....

12. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 6, 2009

You have to take out a job or something and take the tests. Jobs are incredibly hard to come by. There are many of us on these boards searching. Secondly, you love your job. Taking a small loan from a bank or friends or family, you'd be able to pay it back soon. I know I spent over $200 on required tests in order to teach in Louisiana.