What to do???

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Carebear05, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 4, 2008

Ok..so this is the 1st week of school and I may be jumping the gun a little but I want to be prepared. I have a student in my class whom is medicated..however Im not sure for what. Ive had people tell me that he has emotional issues and that he was supposed to be tested for bi-polar and that hes talked about suicide, etc etc. I mean he's 7 for goodness sakes! So Im not sure what med. he is on. It may be something that the mom will eventually talk to me about. I mean I wont say that I dont care what he's on, but regardless of what he's on he is not labeled SPED at the moment. However, he is sooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. It seems like it takes him 10 min just to get started on anything. It's almost as if his brain freezes. And I feel bad for him because many times I have just had to move on. And Im not saying that I dont want to help him because I do, but since he has no IEP stating that he needs extra time, theres only so much I can do for him. I cant hold up my whole class everyday because of him. Now right now we're not really into our schedule and we're not doing our saxon math yet so I dont know how he will be during that, but I'm just at my wit's end. I have 3 in my class that I feel need to be referred for SPED, and I just cant get over the fact that their teachers from last yr. didnt refer them. The other 2 get their work done in a timely fashion so Im not as concerned about them. I just feel bad for this lil guy esp. if he's going thru what ppl say he is, and I dont want him to feel rushed in class but I dont know what else to do.

3. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

1. Look through his records.
    2. Talk to the school nurse.
    3. Talk to the Kindergarten teacher.
    4. Call his parents for a conference. They will probably appreciate the fact that you are wanting to know more about him medically.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2008

Start by getting a student success team meeting. At the SST move to getting him either on 504 or IEP. If he does have other medical issues there is a part under IDEA that is specifically for children who have medical issues.

Call the parents for a conference. If he is on meds that could have a lot of side effects

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2008

You should be informed of any adverse reactions to look for, at the least. Even 7 year olds can possibly be on antidepressants or antipsychotics.